PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use a geothermal system for their home heating/cooling?

Perks
09-03-2012, 07:19 PM
We're building a house and are looking into incorporating some renewable energy systems into the plans. There are wonderful federal, state, and local power company incentives that make it not only affordable, but potentially less expensive than conventional systems.

We are particularly intrigued by geothermal heating & air, but don't know anyone who actually has it installed in their home. So I thought I'd ask here: anyone appropriately toasty and cool at the rights times with geothermal?

I also welcome any opinions from anyone with a solar tie-in to the electrical grid, or solar components, like solar water-heating and whatnot.

Perks
09-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Nobody? What good are you people?

Silver King
09-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Where is the house being built? I don't mean the exact location, but is it in an area where geothermal resources are readily available?

Also, what is the upfront cost to you as the home builder, including incentives? And how long will it take you to recoup your investment in energy savings versus going with modern, energy efficient systems that are currently available and cost much less?

rhymegirl
09-04-2012, 05:21 AM
No.

Perks
09-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Yeah, Asheville is full of tree-huggers, so we have a lot of experts in the field. We were looking into it casually, assuming that the price tag would be beyond our reach, but through 2016, there's a federal tax credit of 30%, a state tax credit of 35% (both cover the cost of the design, materials, and installation) and some sizable incentives from the local power company. We're having the numbers double-checked by some builders who do this more regularly, but this could actually be cheaper than installing a conventional system. And that's even before our electric bill savings.

So while we check into that, I was wondering how does it feel? Cost efficient is nice, but I also want to know that I'll be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

I did find this article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/31/AR2011013104862.html), which was interesting, because it's from my hometown, so I know exactly what kind of weather they get. It sounds completely wonderful (this person had costs associated with replacing an existing system, which we won't have since this is new construction, and also a more complicated property tax discount with the county) but I was just wondering if any AWers had any experience with the feel of it.

I know it's much more common in Europe, but here, it's mainly for the ultra greenies and the rich. Now with these incentives, regular people can tap into this renewable energy and realize the benefits - as long as the benefits include being appropriately cozy.