Status
Not open for further replies.

Heitkemper

I gotta have more cowbell baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MHeitkemperBooks.com
So I self published my book last year, and I've made some decent sales for the effort that I've put in. However, when it comes to reviews, they all seem to echo the last, "Great story, poor editing." I've gone over my book so many times, and made so many changes over the past year, but I guess it's just not enough. I've finally decided to hire a professional editor to do the job right. Are there any editors or editing services that you would recommend or stay away from? Thanks for any help.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
So I self published my book last year, and I've made some decent sales for the effort that I've put in. However, when it comes to reviews, they all seem to echo the last, "Great story, poor editing." I've gone over my book so many times, and made so many changes over the past year, but I guess it's just not enough. I've finally decided to hire a professional editor to do the job right. Are there any editors or editing services that you would recommend or stay away from? Thanks for any help.

Scroll to the bottom of the screen. Dr. Doyle has come highly recommended by many. Should I ever be in need of editorial help, she is at the very top of my list.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you scroll down to the bottom of any AW page, there's a banner for Dr. Doyle, who is the wife of "Uncle Jim" Macdonald, whose name you'll see here often.

I have not used her services myself, but those who have say they believe their work is very much improved, that she was easy to work with, that the prices seemed fair. That's the testimonial you want to hear, right?

There are other editors here at well, I'm sure, but that's the only banner I can point you to click on.

Maryn, who's got family in your state (Indiana, not need-editing!)

Deleted member 42

There's a list of professional editors with trade publishing experiences in the Publishing FAQs here.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to try putting a smallish sample of your work up in Share Your Work. It's possible that a few critiques would highlight weaknesses in your writing which you could then resolve throughout your texts.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Um, I don't know how to say this any other way, but please consider me.

I am looking for three or four authors that tell great stories but didnt' pay a great deal of attention in school. My current author said that some blogger praised her flow, and she wanted to be certain that I knew he appreciated my work. Until recently, I was paid ten percent of royalties; for the last two books, she added a bonus $200 when we completed two rounds of editing.

I have a neglected Title List on LinkedIn if you want to check it out, mostly for LSB. Also, I'm sure my author would be happy to answer any questions you may have objectively. Of course, I'll try to do the same.

Argh. I'll come back and try this again later, maybe. I'm not certain I'm making proper sense, as asking for this kind of thing really tweaks my shyness.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Niniva, it's kind of you to step up to the line, but if you're going to offer editing services you have to make clear your level of experience (for example, have you worked for a trade publisher, and for how long?), your area of expertise (I've edited non-fiction and have some experience copy editing and proof reading), any training you have, the names of a few books you've worked on, and how you structure your fees.

It is not usual for an editor to be paid a royalty on a book, and I wouldn't recommend anyone take this route. Flat fees are the norm.

Heitkemper

I gotta have more cowbell baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MHeitkemperBooks.com
Thanks for the list Medievalist. Old Hack, posting some of my work here is a good idea that I hadn't considered. Thanks. Niniva, just echoing what Old Hack said, could you provide any experience or links to work you've edited? Thanks to all!

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm thinking about what Old Hack said, I'll post links to the works I have done... Let me also add that erotica is just the only genre that I have worked with professionally; it's not the only genre I'm capable of editing. I also believe that Liquid Silver Books counts as a trade publisher, but I am unsure.

http://trinamlee.com/books/

I edited all five of these, and I'm eagerly anticipating the sixth. We've worked closely for a few years, and Trina is the one I think of as "my" author.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7648156-from-the-ashes
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002K2RYR8/?tag=absowrit-20
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6928774-hearts-afire
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6715703-the-extremist
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6930374-falling-through-glass

Still thinking on the rest. In a nutshell, that's what I have done, and I've loved it. Oh, and I want to branch out into other genres.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent a PM with details. I also have quite a bit of fiction editing experience from developmental editing to proofreading.

Good luck getting your book polished up, however you choose to do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.