Car Problems!

Psychotic.Pink

Registered
Reaction score
In the story I'm focusing on, it starts out with the main character's (old, beaten up) car breaking down at the side of the road. I had trouble trying to figure out on what exactly the problem should be, because it has to be something that can easily be fixed by the next morning. My father suggested that the water pipe be cracked.

But on the other hand, due to my lack of knowledge about cars, I don't know how the car would break down. Would it start chugging, popping?

I need heeelp, or advice. Any links to websites for more knowledge would be welcome, as well.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
You don't actually have to break something that needs fixing. Just have the radiator run dry and no water or coolant available--and they can't get back to service it until the next day.

As to how that appears: usually you start to smell something getting hot (a burning smell) and the temperature gauge--if there is one--shoots all the way to the top. A smart person pulls over at this point, just as the steam/smoke begins to trickle from the hood. Most of us then lift the hood to let the engine cool.

However: do not open the radiator cap on a hot car, especially an old hot car. Pressure and steam=burns. Yucky ones.

:)

Psychotic.Pink

Registered
Reaction score
You don't actually have to break something that needs fixing. Just have the radiator run dry and no water or coolant available--and they can't get back to service it until the next day.

As to how that appears: usually you start to smell something getting hot (a burning smell) and the temperature gauge--if there is one--shoots all the way to the top. A smart person pulls over at this point, just as the steam/smoke begins to trickle from the hood. Most of us then lift the hood to let the engine cool.

However: do not open the radiator cap on a hot car, especially an old hot car. Pressure and steam=burns. Yucky ones.

:)

I think my Dad actually figured out that one back when he was in high school. :p At least if I'm remembering correctly. Memories are a bit vague since he told the story a while ago. Thank you! ^__^

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
You could also have a slow leak drain the transmission fluid too low. When this happens the car starts to lurch and slip gears, but the problem is fixed simply by adding a bottle of transmission fluid. It's not unusual for old cars to have a small leak somewhere in the transmission system that drains the fluid without the driver realizing it. There's no transmission fluid gauge on most cars. If your MC knows little about cars, they could think the whole transmission was blowing (that's what I thought when it happened to me, lol).

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
And another thought, the fan belt could break causing the car engine to heat up quickly which would show on the dashboard temp. gauge. The MC could notice the rise, or the car my start steaming (the coolant can't pick up the slack and would heat up) and then it does make chugging sounds.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you need the car to just suddenly stop (and it's old enough), you can have the ignition points (in the distributor) seize up, or the points spring break - no spark.

The fix is easy if you have another set of points on hand; pop off the distributor cap (2 spring clips), pull rotor off distributor shaft, remove old points (one set screw) and replace with new points, set open points gap (high point of distributor shaft cam lobe), replace rotor and cap, check timing. Drive off.

Hardly anybody carries an extra set of points with them. Your character is stuck until a set can be located and installed.

Goblynmarket

Registered
Reaction score
Learning the difference between assholes and elbow
And another thought, the fan belt could break causing the car engine to heat up quickly which would show on the dashboard temp. gauge. The MC could notice the rise, or the car my start steaming (the coolant can't pick up the slack and would heat up) and then it does make chugging sounds.

I've had this happen to me. The give away before it broke was this high pitched screeching sound when I turned on the car. The sound lasted for a minute then was suddenly gone. I drove out of town, was about 10 miles outside of town and smoke started puffing out. Replacements are pretty easy to find, but with out the right tools it can be a pain to put in.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the fan belt. Mine snapped. I was driving on the highway. It just made this noise and then the car wouldn't do anything. I managed to glide off the highway and into a service station. It took a couple of hours, but it was an easy fix.

Something else that happened to me was that my tie rod on the wheel broke. The car didn't totally shut down, but I couldn't steer because the tire was going every which away. Another easy fix.

That old car served me well.

Peter Graham

Arise Rheged!
Registered
Reaction score
You could have a problem with the treddle wheel on the underside of the warp flange. It connects to the alternator via the dogget wire and if the dogget wire was loose (perhaps dislodged by a stone off the road) and shorted out on one of the fratterns on the block bulkhead, the warp flange would fail to open, causing oil to back out of the hammerbeams and clog up the treddle wheel. Result? The car judders to a halt. A quick spray with Deusexmachina breaks up the gunk and allows the car to start up again.

Or he could just run out of petrol.

Regards,

Peter

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could have a problem with the treddle wheel on the underside of the warp flange. It connects to the alternator via the dogget wire and if the dogget wire was loose (perhaps dislodged by a stone off the road) and shorted out on one of the fratterns on the block bulkhead, the warp flange would fail to open, causing oil to back out of the hammerbeams and clog up the treddle wheel. Result? The car judders to a halt. A quick spray with Deusexmachina breaks up the gunk and allows the car to start up again.

Or he could just run out of petrol.

Snort! :)

Jeff