Resources for Historical Road Maps (including rural)

woozy

I'm the nude girl; not the creature
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this was discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know any good resources (or methods) for researching roads, routes, and regions for a time in the past?

In particular I'd like to describe a trip from Carmel, Ca. to Big Sur, Ca. circa 1907. (Why do I talk myself into these things?) and would like to know precisely where the road would go. In *very* particular, I'd like to know exactly where the lumber mill was and if you get to it by going along the coast to castle rock and turning inland at what is now Bixby Creek, or would you get to it by going over what is now Palo Colorado Road and over Botcher Gap. (Really, *why* do I talk myself into these things...)

woozy

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Thank you! I do love these photos. Rainbow Lodge later Bixby Inn and finally The Crocodile's Tail (before being merely Ladybird Rock :cry:) will be a *small* part of my story.
I drive between Carmel and Big Sur often.
Yeah... but did you do it in 1907?

This is kind of convoluted but my main character wants to see the beach at Bixby Creek because she knows that the sea otter will be re-discovered there 31 years in the future (don't ask) and she's curious to see the place. As long as she's gone that far (which I assume is a bit of hassle back in 1907), her father, who is a painter, figures they might as well continue to Pico Blanco and Big Sur and make a real expedition out of this. At Pico Blanco my main character has a vision of the Ohlone Creation myth. (I told you it was convoluted.)

Anyway, The one and only time I ever hiked up Pico Blanco was in the eighties and we accessed it through the old coast road. (This was probably illegal trespass. *sigh* I was young and my uncle was reckless...) Now, I find that most sane people hike Pico Blanco by accessing it from Palo Colorado Road. Now I know the stretch of Highway 1 to Andrew Molera Park was built in 1937 (indirectly leading to the re-discovery of the sea otter, by the way) and the old coast road from Long-Ridge to Andrew Molera was used in the twenties. Now I always assumed the coast to Ladybird Rock (because Mrs. LBJ had her photo taken there) to Long Ridge was always there but now I wonder if the old roads went over Palo Colorado and Botcher Gap instead and, heck, I have no idea if the *old* coast road existed before the 20's and ...

Well, I told you it was convoluted.

Last edited:

woozy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Waddya know!

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGaller...caviews&gallery_id=2991329&image_id=66&pos=27

Awesome! Now all I need to do is spend money!

No, seriously. This is enough to confirm that yes indeed both the old coast road and palo colorado road both existed pretty much as I had suspected *except* at the Rocky Creek bridge (which like the Bixby Creek Bridge of '37 was designed by Christian Men but I forget, but don't need, the exact year) where instead it went inland and then *down* to Bixby Landing (what modern me thinks of as "back"). This was the *entire* source of my confusion.

So thanks!