PDA

View Full Version : Blood on a frozen corpse

Becky Black
09-01-2012, 08:58 PM
It's another dead body related question! I tried Googling, but can't find an answer to this particular scenario.

A character is stabbed several times with a big knife, leaving his white shirt soaked in blood. His body is very shortly afterwards put into a freezer. The lid is closed and left closed for several months. The freezer is running the whole time. After those several months have passed someone opens the freezer and looks at the frozen corpse.

My question is this - is the blood on his shirt still red or would it have oxidized as normal and changed colour?

Snuggles
09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Im nt sure of the answer in this particular scenario, but frozen blood looks a lot like clotted blood. A very dark shade of red.

Kerosene
09-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Looking up 'Frozen Blood' on google image, shows rather dark red, like Snuggles said.

If the body was laid out, the cloth can oxidize the blood better, but that takes some time.

When you freeze ground beef, it stays red. But if you let it rest in the fridge, it oxidizes and browns. (I know it doesn't have much 'blood' but it does work on the exact same principle).

Becky Black
09-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Never thought of an image search. There's some very peculiar results. But, yes, sounds like I'll be going with it being dark red.

jclarkdawe
09-02-2012, 03:19 AM
There's probably going to be a layer of frost on the body obscuring the blood. The body position is also going to be rather contorted to make the body fit. Unless the body is put in rather quickly, rigor will begin, necessitating break the joints to force the body into the freezer. There also might to a frosty cloud that comes out of the freezer when it's opened, causing some delay in seeing into the freezer.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

jaksen
09-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Brownish-red.

woozy
09-02-2012, 04:31 AM
You can experiment with animal blood...

If it's like meat and meat juice... well, brownish red seems utterly credible to me. (In my day I've tossed some meat in the freezer without wrapping it properly...)

Becky Black
09-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Ooh, loving the thought of a frosty cloud. I'll definitely add that in. I can hear the dramatic music sting in my head right now. The guy looking is expecting to find a body in there, he's been told that's where it is, and he's seen plenty of bodies in his time, so he's not going to jump, but I can just picture him opening the freezer and standing there (looking manly ;)) as the cloud clears, revealing the body. Nice.

jclarkdawe
09-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Ooh, loving the thought of a frosty cloud. I'll definitely add that in. I can hear the dramatic music sting in my head right now. The guy looking is expecting to find a body in there, he's been told that's where it is, and he's seen plenty of bodies in his time, so he's not going to jump, but I can just picture him opening the freezer and standing there (looking manly ;)) as the cloud clears, revealing the body. Nice.

Outside temperature should be as warm as possible then.

Even if he's expecting a body, he's going to have some problems figuring it out. I'm assuming a chest-type freezer here, but the body will need to be in the fetal position to fit, with the head extended forward and down. The body will be on the side or will have gone in either head first or feet first. Head first, and the legs will be above the head. Feet first and the head will be facing downward and you'll see the back.

We expect people to be moving. Unmoving baffles us a bit. Even in the best of circumstances we slow down our recognition of bodies.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Becky Black
09-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'll definitely be able to get some nice detail into the scene from them.