Is it actually possible to kill someone with a liquor bottle?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What the title says, but more specifically killing by a blow to the head.

I've taken some pretty hard knocks to the old noggin--thrown off a four wheeler and landed on the back of my head, took a batted baseball to the forehead, and was hit by a car on my bike and hit the pavement on my face--and I'm still here. I therefore wonder (and want to know for a story) if a blow to the head with a booze bottle is realistically lethal.

It seems to me the glass would just shatter, and although the person might be konked silly or out or it for a bit, it would take a strong person and a strong bottle to kill someone. Anyone know anything about this?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Might depend on the weight of the bottle. A champagne bottle, for instance, is far heavier than a beer bottle.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It is possible. Bottles don't always break. Assaults are typically characterized by multiple blows. The skull is amazingly tough - but not invincible.

Without getting into the physics, a full bottle can do more damage than an empty one.

Ever try to break a Coke bottle from the '50s?

The 6-8-10oz versions were (are) damn near indestructible!

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the liquor bottles I know are made of thicker glass than, say wine bottles or soda bottles. I do reckon all the TV and Hollywood broken glass-scenes have left me with a somewhat unrealistic view of how glass reacts when smashed against something with force. But if I think of how much effort it sometimes takes to hear the glass shatter in the glass recycling containers when I throw in bottles, some bottles obviously don't shatter easily.

So I can very well imagine someone killed instantly with a good swing of a liquor bottle. And I don't think it will take un-ordinary force or a special bottle.

I have survived quite a bit of blows to the head over the years. (Still have the dented metal waste basket to prove it.) But I take it the location on the skull where the blow falls may also have a significant influence on the mortality. I think I have been very lucky so far.

Goblynmarket

Registered
Reaction score
Learning the difference between assholes and elbow
Can it most definitely. Will it always? Probably not.

The empty vs full thing's interesting. Mythbusters tested it a couple years ago. You might take a look for the episode.

Oh, yeah Hollywood bottles don't break like real ones. I treated a stupid friend that tried to break a bottle on his head at a party. The bottle didn't break but he got 8 stitches.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
By a pretty random chance.

I'd knock them out, then their fall might end up a little wrong. Just a thought.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sure it could happen. If you aren't convinced the bottle would outright kill them just have them fall, unconscious, backwards on a hard floor. A dead drop can kill you all in itself.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sure it could happen. If you aren't convinced the bottle would outright kill them just have them fall, unconscious, backwards on a hard floor. A dead drop can kill you all in itself.

Yup. I've taken some bad blows to the head, but apparently not to the wrong spots. If you're still having a hard time with it, consider an underlying problem. A friend of mine has a "bubble of blood" in her brain (not sure of the details, sorry) from a bad car accident she was in as a child. She's been told that hitting her head could rupture it, and that if that happens it will likely kill her, so she's rather careful. If your vic has a similar problem (he might not even know he does) he could be extra vulnerable.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There was a Mythbusters episode about full versus empty bottles that might be helpful. You can kill someone.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
This piques my curiosity so I weighed two bottles:

An EMPTY Champagne bottle (Bollinger, Extra Quality Very Dry, 1955 Vintage) weighs 953gs/ 2lbs 1 3/4 ozs.

An EMPTY bottle of Grants Whisky weighs 512 gs/ 1lb 2 1/8 ozs.

I would think that being hit over the head with an empty or full bottle of Champagne would, as has already been suggested, cause a serious and possibly fatal dent.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Murder: Joint Enterprise. One of the characters gets killed by an Amaretto bottle. Liqueurs in heavy thick bottles are hard to break.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! :) That all make a lot of sense, and not so far from reality I'd get a "yeah, right" if I wrote it into a scene. The possibility of bludgeoning with a bottle came up in two separate stories I was working on, so I figured I'd better get the actual scoop.

And I think Hollywood bottles (as well as windows) are actually made of sugar (or used to be, at least) so they shatter nice and don't cut the actors like real glass would.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Depends on where and how one is hit. People have fallen off skis or hit their head on the ice while skating and died. I had a student who fell off the back of a pickup truck - just as it was starting up - hit his head on the pavement and died, and he was a big, sturdy, athletic guy.

I believe an actress died this way a few years ago from a fall when skiing. She didn't die right away; it happened some hours later.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
This question may have been answered to your satisfaction already, but I'm a student paramedic here in Aus, and I went and asked one of our tutors who is an intensive care paramedic about your question. Her answer was yes, absolutely, although it is much more likely that the person will fall and hit either their head/spine and suffer complications from that.

Although - looking at the clinical practise guidelines, a blunt force to the head is classified as emergent time critical, which means that there's a significant pattern of injury (in this case the blunt trauma to the head), which in the past has been proven to lead to the degeneration of the pt's stats to the point that their life is in danger. As such, we're supposed to triage the pt to the nearest trauma facility within 30 minutes.

Also, if it's an empty bottle, apparently haemorrhage can be an issue given the broken glass, although that's a bit rarer.

Hope that helps :)

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Chris, it's a timely question.

Most of the time serious injuries are not from what the blow to the head does to bone, unless you are talking about a severe trauma such as a motor vehicle crash or fall from a balcony. Instead, the problem is often what happens to the blood vessels--if one ruptures, it can lead to enough accumulation of blood to compress the brain.

Where the hit landed, how old the recipient is, whether it was a vein or artery that ruptured, and the peculiarities of individual anatomy (among other things) are all relevant. Does it happen? Definitely. Is it common? Not with most blows to the head. Can you easily tell which hits are an issue and which aren't? Not without assessing the person and having the needed training to do so well. Even then, some are missed.