Alternative term for "godson"?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I've got a character who is trying to sort out a problem involving what is technically his blood brother's son/milk brother's son/shield brother's son. The base concept is the same as a godchild - that the character would be the designated adopted parent if the child were to be orphaned, and has an "honorary familial duty" to help teach and protect the child as if the child were his nephew. Since I might end up using this term a dozen times in the story, I was trying to find a compact way of saying it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Oath son? Heart son? Spirit son (okay that's a bit religious sounding, though more nebulously so than godson)?

Just tossing some ideas out there that might show the nature of the bond and obligation to someone who isn't necessarily a blood relative and without an overtly religious component.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I like Roxxsmom's 'oathson', it's short, which suggests that it's a common term in your society.
The 'oath' indicates that there are societal expectations, that this isn't just some kid that the MC has a passing interest in, this is a relationship that people recognise and understand. Less nebulous that 'spirit son', and 'heart son'.
'Heart son' sounds like a term for something different, either 'I love you as though you were a son of my body', or 'You're my birth son, but I can never publicly acknowledge you'.