THIS is True Love.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I work in a hospital. Yesterday I had a patient/client who was a woman of 90 who, apart from her physical problems, has light dementia. We're trying to figure out her post-hopsital care.

She spoke of her husband, who looks after her. "He's probably also pretty old," I said.
"Oh no, we're not old at all!"
"You're 90!"
Oh, no, I'm not that old."
Anyway, she went on to speak of her husband. She kept on repeating what a good man he is. What a good man. "He carries me in his hands!" Which is a common German expression meaning, he does everything for me. She kept on repeating that and had tears in her eyes. She blessed me as I left.

Later on, I spoke to the social worker who keeps an eye on them. I mentioned what a sweet old woman she was. Yes, he said, Mr X is 91 and looks after his wife alone. He has done so since -- always. He refuses all help. He has about 3 hours help a month. They are both perfectly lovely people.

I was in the process of organising a care home for her, as Mr X told me he can't manage any more. But in the middle of everything he changed his mind. He wants her at home.

You can find true romance in the most unlikely places...

Last edited:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a care home that would take both of them?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that is the sweetest thing.

My aunt and uncle were the same way. He cared for her all their lives, into their 90s. When she died he went very soon after despite being in good health. Broken heart.

What a beautiful, selfless kind of love that is.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Maybe a care home that would take both of them?

They are unlikely to be able to afford it. The wife, being disabled, would be able to get most of her costs paid for by her insurance company. The husband, being not disabled, would have to pay everything himself.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that is the sweetest thing - What a beautiful, selfless kind of love that is.

Indeed.

Really describes the phrase: In sickness and in health, doesn't it?
icon6.gif

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Do they have any family that can help them out a little?

There's an old couple in my building. Over 80, I'm guessing. Neither of them gets around too well. But they are often out for walks, and they're always holding hands or have their arms linked.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Well, she will go into a temporary care home for three or four weeks and hopefully a good permanent solution can be found after that. He is entitled to EUR1500 a month of professional carers at home but he has refused all help up to now. If he accepts the help they can surely manage a few more years. A lot of old people have Polish carer come and live with them to help out. The women work and live in and send money home, and after six months a new carer comes from Poland. It's a regular industry but I don't know if they have a room in their house for such a person.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
...and on the flip side, my 91-year-old mother-in-law is sporting a huge bruise and cut on her arm where her grandson -- my very evil, estranged "step-son" -- attacked her. And no charges made. :(
Just had to rant about this, sorry.