PDA

View Full Version : American Idol thread!

writerterri
01-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Tuesday the 17th!

I can't wait. I love the auditions. My favorite worst of the worst was Mary. Remember her?

Last year was the only year the person I voted for didn't win.

I love Simon! Though I didn't in the first season, but Randy's my dog and who can't say enough good things about Paula!

I'm counting the days.....

writerterri
01-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Am I the only one so far?

elisadasilva
01-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Mary,

I confess I am a hopeless AI addict. I have been counting the days since Bo got shafted.

September skies
01-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Here I am too! I have been counting the days down to American Idol! I never saw season One but have been a fan since season 2. I became a Claymate!! It was Clay all the way for me. Season 3 was disappointing but last year was great!
Thanks for starting the thread! I will be here weekly - we can discuss the singers and everything.
Mary was a riot but my favorite "non idol" is still William Hung. I love him! I think he's so adorable.

writerterri
01-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Mary,

I confess I am a hopeless AI addict. I have been counting the days since Bo got shafted.

I saw Bo's CD in Target after Christmas. I was afraid to buy since I didn't care for Fantasia's CD or Rubin's too much. Thought I didn't vote for Kelly I do like her hits as do my daughters. I do have Clays's CD and not it's too bad, but I'm giving it to my girls to learn to sing to. It's too young for me.

Yea!!!!!

writerterri
01-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Here I am too! I have been counting the days down to American Idol! I never saw season One but have been a fan since season 2. I became a Claymate!! It was Clay all the way for me. Season 3 was disappointing but last year was great!
Thanks for starting the thread! I will be here weekly - we can discuss the singers and everything.
Mary was a riot but my favorite "non idol" is still William Hung. I love him! I think he's so adorable.

William is the bomb. You can go two ways with that I guess. But he was an icon for the nerds or was it the geeks?

I loved Bo and Constantine and Justin made me smile like a school girl.

You know I pegged Fantasia from the get go and I was right. Now Carrie is a fantastic singer, but I don't hear too much from her. Kelly's career has really taken off and I really like her songs and voice style. I think if the other's CD's were written a little better they would have had more stardom, perhaps. I'm not an expert on that matter.

Three days!

elisadasilva
01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
YEY!

I just got Kelly's CD for my daughter's birthday. Although I love it my daughter who is eleven told me that Kelly only sings about depressing stuff. Haha.

September skies
01-15-2006, 11:27 PM
William is the bomb. You can go two ways with that I guess. But he was an icon for the nerds or was it the geeks?

You know I pegged Fantasia from the get go and I was right. Now Carrie is a fantastic singer, but I don't hear too much from her. Kelly's career has really taken off and I really like her songs and voice style. I think if the other's CD's were written a little better they would have had more stardom, perhaps. I'm not an expert on that matter.

Three days!

I loved BO from the start - though I was not disappointed with Carrie as a choice. I had those two picked to be up in the final three and Carrie is awesome. Constantine reminded me of high school (70s - long hair) and I loved him from the start, especially after singing "I think I love you" and especially after that Mama Mia' song - Bohemian Rhapsody! My God!! What a voice! That song was perfect for him.

But my real favorite that I thought would have lasted longer (though he didn't do bad) was ANWAR - oh my gosh - I melted every time he sang! I was so in love with him.

Speaking of last season - does anyone know why Joseph Murena walked away from the competition? There were so many rumors but I always thought there might be something more serious. Hmmm... and what about that kid that tried to tear Paula apart. I was so proud of her for coming back the next day and sitting bravely through it. People in the crowd with "We love you Paula" signs. I'm glad she didn't miss the next day - that would have made her look like she was hiding.

And no one can forget the "love affair" between Paula and Simon. That is so funny - when one or the other does something - like a kiss - suddenly.

And I love my DAWG! He's awesome.

oh my gosh....my pulse is pumping - I LOVE American Idol. Thanks again for starting this thread.

JenNipps
01-16-2006, 12:41 AM

Three days!

Carrie's songs are mostly on country stations. She has a video on the Top 20 countdown for CMT, but I don't remember what number. It's for "Jesus Take the Wheel" or something like that.

Get Bo's CD. It's great! I bought mine at Wal-Mart before Christmas.

writerterri
01-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Tomorrow, I love ya, you're only a day away!

Thanks for the tip on Bo. I'll look for it again. And I did hear that song from Carrie now that you reminded me. I liked it! Christian singers on the country stations have a harder time becoming more famous, don't they? Or at least they might fade faster unless they write something more mainstream. What do think?

Terri

William Haskins
01-17-2006, 01:13 AM
i watch faithfully, if only in my hope that they will choke to death on the contents of the gigantic coca cola cups so prominently placed in every camera shot.

writerterri
01-17-2006, 01:19 AM
i watch faithfully, if only in my hope that they will choke to death on the contents of the gigantic coca cola cups so prominently placed in every camera shot.

Or at least dribble like normal people do. I have nerver seen Paula take a drink, so I'll bet she has nothing or water in hers. I've seen Randy drink, but if it was Coke he would burp and Simon probably has booze in his as to his boldness.

Can't wait.....

September skies
01-17-2006, 02:28 AM

come on Haskins - admit it. You love the show. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Or maybe you just watch to see if Simon will stick his tongue down Paula's throat. YUK!

writerterri
01-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Three and a half hours and counting!

special needs
01-18-2006, 04:26 AM
I wouldn't mind if Simon stuck his tongue down my throat---though, perhaps he's too old for me. Then again, so are all of you and that doesn't stop you. :Hug2:

writerterri
01-18-2006, 05:08 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing his accent in my ear.

special needs
01-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Too HOLD for me? Dear...I can't even blame intoxication on that since I haven't had a drink in a lonnnnnnng time.

special needs
01-18-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm so far very disappointed. Not NEARLY enough people who are amusingly bad at singing. Did people suddenly stop wanting to be publicly humiliated on TV?

Shwebb
01-18-2006, 05:41 AM
You know what I HATE about myself?

That I LOVE watching some of those idiots who think they can sing.

Although the guy "Keith" on either the first or second season was a bit scary. He was the one Simon said was the worst singer on the planet or the universe or something. The guy was so intensely delusional it was scary.

But William Hung could actually carry a tune. Couldn't sing well, but he did stay on pitch. (What a cutie!)

writerterri
01-18-2006, 05:45 AM
I'm so far very disappointed. Not NEARLY enough people who are amusingly bad at singing. Did people suddenly stop wanting to be publicly humiliated on TV?

Is it on where you are? Oh, envy!

writerterri
01-18-2006, 05:47 AM
You know what I HATE about myself?

That I LOVE watching some of those idiots who think they can sing.

Although the guy "Keith" on either the first or second season was a bit scary. He was the one Simon said was the worst singer on the planet or the universe or something. The guy was so intensely delusional it was scary.

But William Hung could actually carry a tune. Couldn't sing well, but he did stay on pitch. (What a cutie!)

Keith was the poster child for scary. But fun to watch I'll admit.

special needs
01-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Yes it is... has been on for 46 minutes...this guy is pretty bad. Not amusingly bad, though. Just insanely horrible.

Shwebb
01-18-2006, 05:49 AM
"Ieee shot the sheriff! But I did not shoot the dep-u-tee!"

:roll:

special needs
01-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks...my ears were just about to recover! :Headbang:

September skies
01-18-2006, 05:55 AM
I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait...........
Two more hours for me. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I feel sorry for the ones that REALLY believe they can sing (ok, that's most of them) but I'm referring to the guys like the "Like a virgin" guy. Remember him? Or what about that psychic woman from last year. I saw on the commercial she comes back this year. LOL These people can't REALLY believe they can sing, can they? Some are obviously just there to grab the spotlight - making their 15 seconds of fame much longer.

I'm recording Commander in Chief so that I can give A.I. my full undivided attention.

And as far as Simon goes.....I'll take his tongue down my throat and his accent in my ear anytime!!

special needs
01-18-2006, 05:57 AM
I would take his something else in my something else too....

September skies
01-18-2006, 06:01 AM
You naughty thing!! I can't believe you said that.

special needs
01-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Well....I could have been more vulgar about it... :) Just don't tell my fiance. Tom Brady is enough for him to take.

special needs
01-18-2006, 06:12 AM
The kid singing "I'm in the mood for love" isn't all that bad looking, either.

writerterri
01-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Yes it is... has been on for 46 minutes...this guy is pretty bad. Not amusingly bad, though. Just insanely horrible.

I'm drooling. I have to wait 1 hr. and 45 min. yet.

special needs
01-18-2006, 06:25 AM
-gasp- But THIS KID is absolutely DROP DEAD flipping GAWDIOUS. IIIIII want him.

maestrowork
01-18-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm recruiting lustful women to the House of Love. Seems like I'm at the right place.

special needs
01-18-2006, 06:36 AM
No, silly. The man in the house has to be used in SOME way.

September skies
01-18-2006, 06:37 AM
I still have to wait an hour but I'm starting to think that maybe I should watch this show from the comforts of my bedroom - behind closed doors, if you know what I mean! LOL

(I'm taking notes - "watch for Drop gorgeous kid around 9:30 p.m." - hey, does he have a name - or at least tell me what he's wearing or not wearing.)

special needs
01-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Hm... about the gorgeous kid, Simon said yes to him while the other two were about to say no, but Simon kinda convinced them to say yes, and he was in. He has a reallllllllly nice smile... :D

Shwebb
01-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Ohhhhh! Manic man who talks to animals!

LOVED him!

I loved the "I'm in the Mood for Love" guy. Great song, and he did it well.

writerterri
01-18-2006, 07:35 AM
30 min for me still................ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_19.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_45.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS)

writerterri
01-18-2006, 07:55 AM
5 min!

Sage
01-18-2006, 08:03 AM
30 min for me still................ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_19.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_45.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS):ROFL: That pic is so dead on.

Sage
01-18-2006, 08:05 AM
:ROFL: That pic is so dead on.I mean the AI one, not the insane one :2angel:

September skies
01-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Hm... about the gorgeous kid, Simon said yes to him while the other two were about to say no, but Simon kinda convinced them to say yes, and he was in. He has a reallllllllly nice smile... :D

The moment I saw him, I knew that was the kid. My gosh, I could go to jail!
But you are so right.....the kid with the black shirt. I thought he sang good, though they were old fashioned songs.

Um....what about that Statue of Liberty guy, he never got a chance! He got out two syllables, or two words.....

Sadly, I forgot how mean they can be to some of the participants. My heart hurt for some of them. But on the other hand....they must know they suck.... how can they not?

The I shot the sherriff but not the deputeee.....that was pretty funny!
Tomorrow, another two hours of this....

for now...I'm off to see Commander in Chief (I'll be on here less now that my shows are all back on)

BlackCrowesChick
01-18-2006, 10:22 AM
I just saw a little bit of it. I didn't see this gorgeous guy you were talking about. Did he make it? If he did then maybe I'll see him another time. I saw the I shot the sherriff guy! OMG! That was hilarious! I also saw the guy who wore a striped shirt and Simon told him he looked like a wasp! He just ruined that song (The Weight.) I was in the other room when he came on and the TV was on so I heard him singing, and I said, "She's ruining that song!" Then I was told and saw when I got in front of the TV that it was a he, not a she! He sounded like a woman!!

writerterri
01-18-2006, 11:39 AM
I gave everybody a rating. I'll post it tomorrow.

But I have to say that the heshe in the Dorothy dress so far takes the cake for me.

writerterri
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait...........
Two more hours for me. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I feel sorry for the ones that REALLY believe they can sing (ok, that's most of them) but I'm referring to the guys like the "Like a virgin" guy. Remember him? Or what about that psychic woman from last year. I saw on the commercial she comes back this year. LOL These people can't REALLY believe they can sing, can they? Some are obviously just there to grab the spotlight - making their 15 seconds of fame much longer.

I'm recording Commander in Chief so that I can give A.I. my full undivided attention.

And as far as Simon goes.....I'll take his tongue down my throat and his accent in my ear anytime!!

Oh, the naughtyness around here!

I remember those two- What a riot!

Simon was rude last night. Sometimes I find his comments funny, but come on, don't make someone cry.

Sarita
01-19-2006, 01:29 AM
But I have to say that the heshe in the Dorothy dress so far takes the cake for me. He was a hoot and I liked the way Simon asked that girl about her tan. She had no idea how awful she made herself look.

As for you horny toads, go take a cold shower... :tongue

September skies
01-19-2006, 01:48 AM
We are so lucky - more American Idol tonight!! And only six more hours.....

special needs
01-19-2006, 01:53 AM
:rant: I have to go ride my horse today since I didnt ride him yesterday (what cheap 30 grand piece of crap ) so I probably won't get to see it.

pconsidine
01-19-2006, 02:13 AM
So now I know who to blame this train wreck of a travesty of a "talent competition" on. I'm sure that my complete and total disgust for AI has more to do with my musical talent than anything else, but between the weeks of parading the most embarrassingly awful singers in the nation and the remaining weeks of dragging out the completely undramatic ***-kissing (not to mention Ryan Seacrest, who ought to be buried in a deep hole and buried with his own tooth bleach), I have come to loathe every spring for the past three years.

An unmitigated disaster in every respect.

Christine N.
01-19-2006, 02:14 AM
What about that guy with the feather on his head - the PINK feather?? Oh, and that 16 year old with the tan and the makeup?? And her MOM took the cake.

Craziness. can't wait to watch tonight. I should be writing, though.

writerterri
01-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Okay, here's my not so famous report about what I thought of last nights crashers, dashers and the singers.

Here's how my scale works. +10 being the best to a -10 being the best of the worst.

First on the wall of shame "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," (-6) and the girl who actually forced her way up the second step of the escalator that was going down ...a laughing -10

Derek. Who couldn't find his voice if it showed up in an envelope addressed to him a -8.

Katrina, The Humpty Dance?. No score-YOU BLEW IT! If you could have only found that one perfect song. Hollywood may have been in your future. Sorry hon-that's the brakes. Literally.

Justin. Meatloaf? Bad choice of song. -4

The Britnum twins. *eyelashes fluttering* Gave me goose bumps! +10 I predict these two in the top 30.

#897 Sweet little Dorothy with the Pippi wig. He got a pass to leave the 'B' Ward for the weekend? Who okay'd that? I gave him a -9 until I saw his hairy legs and he earned a special place in my heart. So I have him a -10

Gina. Dental Assistant. +9 though I predict she wont make it into the final 30.

Another Gina? My notes may be wrong. She sang "Blue Moon" or I should say choked it out. -8

MANDISA! You go girl! Chill factor! +9 1/2 A shout out to the big girls! She should sit on you Simon.

Kevin. "The Wait" -1. Simon says he was like a wasp? And Paula with that stupid voice over excuse for not wanting to be mean. Come on Paula, quit it! A shout out to all the little people.

Charles Berry. Came back after an hour to sing his AI song. He gets a +10 for effort. But.....the voice gets a -4. Simon proves that he's an @ss. He doesn't get cute until the final 12. Wonder why that is?

Amanda. "Lets Give Them Something To Talk About" Great spirit! But I gave her a +5. Practice girl!

The Sheriff. Somebody shoot him, please! If he says that one more time....-9

Christine. Nice prom dress. If you wear it again make sure it's at a wedding. Don't give up sweetie, practice. +4

Mr. Liberty. (?????) Why? Have you no pride? Cut short and cut off. +5 for the costume though. Fly to the next city so we can hear you sing. Remember: style with voice...

Eric and his bruiser granny of false hopes. Why do you guys lie to him? Take that poor child to a throat doctor to help him find his man voice! Now we know him as Auntie Eric. He made me and his mother cry, both for different reasons though. I gave him and his whole family a -10.

The sisters. Brook +9 1/2 and Leah +9 1/2. Great package girls! Though I predict that only Brook will make it to the top 30.

Evette. -3 Let go of that cat's tail!

"I'm In The Nude For Love" simply because you're near me. Baby! Sweet tender vittles! Did I just say Nude? I meant Mood. I gave him an +8. He won't cut it though. I think he'll go home early.

Sailor Mouth Girl. Go home and wash your mouth out! -5

"The proof is in the paper" Though we didn't get to hear her sing, she made her point to the other girl. But she wont be able to cut it. Her attitude will get in the way.

David, Sinatra! You made Paula drool and wish you were 27 as Simon dreamed of a Boy Toy. Randy was right though. This isn't for you, but you got through. I gave him a +8 for the impersonation.

Dipity-do-da blond girl from La-La Tan World. She should be banned from breeding little Dipity-do-da's. I originally gave her a -6, but after the camera guys loved her personality so much I'm going with a -9.

Stewart. (Yankee Doodle) From who knows where singing who knows what. -3

The girl from the UK. You auditioned for the wrong show. -1

Simmons twins. Josh and Jarrett. Sweet 16! Works for you and me and the blushing Paula. Watch it girl. We know you like young men. +9 1/2

Crazy Dave. How did you do it? I gave you a -8 for the crazy dance.

William Hung are you paying attention?

See you tonight!

writerterri
01-19-2006, 03:50 AM
So now I know who to blame this train wreck of a travesty of a "talent competition" on. I'm sure that my complete and total disgust for AI has more to do with my musical talent than anything else, but between the weeks of parading the most embarrassingly awful singers in the nation and the remaining weeks of dragging out the completely undramatic ***-kissing (not to mention Ryan Seacrest, who ought to be buried in a deep hole and buried with his own tooth bleach), I have come to loathe every spring for the past three years.

An unmitigated disaster in every respect.

Grinch, is that you?

pconsidine
01-19-2006, 04:06 AM
Don't mistake my "bitter stifled musician" for "grinchiness."

Seriously though, as a musician, the whole experience is very frustrating. All this national focus on one generally lousy genre of music when there are dozens more interesting ones out there (whatever happened to Nashville Star? Now that show I could get behind) is bad enough. But to think that we're being presented with the most mediocre lot of the most mediocre genre of music is even more irritating.

It's really just a variant on "bitter art school grad." And that's me, too.:)

writerterri
01-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Don't mistake my "bitter stifled musician" for "grinchiness."

Seriously though, as a musician, the whole experience is very frustrating. All this national focus on one generally lousy genre of music when there are dozens more interesting ones out there (whatever happened to Nashville Star? Now that show I could get behind) is bad enough. But to think that we're being presented with the most mediocre lot of the most mediocre genre of music is even more irritating.

It's really just a variant on "bitter art school grad." And that's me, too.:)

I see your point. And I have to say that it's true on a scale. It's good, it's bad, is irrelevant. This is a frivolous contest that gets great ratings. There will always be someone better who will pop up later in life. I wouldn't claim AI as a high end contest to see who can sing the best, though it would be nice to see one of those. Maybe for me it's more of a topnotch talent show. I don't feel AI sets the standards for true talent for everyone in the nation or all the Idols would be very famous at one point and I don't see that happening. But someone's dream will come true and that's what it's all about for the contestants. I like the entertainment side of it however goofy it is. Call me a simpleton. Talent runs much deeper than AI, but it's fun to watch people make fools of themselves and the suspense to see who will win is great. That's what end of the spectrum I watch it from.
Have a good night.

Terri

special needs
01-19-2006, 05:06 AM
Heh, heh, screw that stupid piece of crap. I'm watching TV. :) On the plus side, the kid I let ride him always rides him when I don't, and cleans my saddle in thanks.

Edit: I have a bigger crush on Simon with each passing minute!

Another edit: I've never seen a woman love her husband so much as this rocker's wife does--am I going to still love my fiance when we get married? That'd kind of a scary thought.

Shwebb
01-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Okay, sue me. If I were a NASCAR fan, it would be because I'd be looking to see someone crash.:)

I never really watch AI much after the auditions. I like the rejects. And I'm bummed a little that "House" isn't on.

But I was rooting one year for the "pen salesman" guy--that's what Simon called him. He was cute, had a good voice--but I don't remember his name. Jon something?

special needs
01-19-2006, 05:27 AM
JON PETER LEWIS.

I watched last year until he got voted off.....totally sexy. Mmmmm.

"I don't like to, like, boast about my intelligence and stuff because sometimes it intimidates people." One wonders why someone with so much intelligence doesn't have a better vocabulary.

William Haskins
01-19-2006, 05:30 AM
i could look at ryan seacrest's face forever—provided his head was mounted on a stake in my back yard.

special needs
01-19-2006, 05:32 AM
i could look at ryan seacrest's face forever—provided his head was mounted on a stake in my back yard.

That pretty much sums up the views of the entire American population. I vote Tom Brady for American Idol host! Hell, I'd DEFINATELY watch all the way through the season, then. Particularly if he was asked to host with a minimal amount of clothing....

Man...that girlguy...wow. Yes, we're all predjudice. Not only do you look like a flat-chested girl who'd almost pass as half-way decent looking...you cant SING. Call us predjudice. We're all horribly predjudice.

writerterri
01-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Norman, is that you? I told you not to play with those knives!

September skies
01-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Today was not as funny as yesterday but I still watched and I still enjoyed it. Though, I had forgotten how much Simon turns me on. I may be watching just for him and not know it.

writerterri
01-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Today was not as funny as yesterday but I still watched and I still enjoyed it. Though, I had forgotten how much Simon turns me on. I may be watching just for him and not know it.

He just can't say anything wrong in your eyes. You're so stuck on his gorgeous face you can't hear his words. I know your type. ;)

I'm going to post my opinions tomorrow or maybe late tonight.

Liam Jackson
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm not a major AI fan, although I did follow the finals for a couple of years. (Jenna had a couple of book deals pending on the winners.)
Two things stand out from my limited experience watching that show:
1. Bo Bice really could sing his arse off.

2. Nothing about the actual competition will ever be better than the outakes from the tryouts. Some of those acts were beyond hilarious.

pconsidine
01-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't claim AI as a high end contest to see who can sing the best, though it would be nice to see one of those. That's the other irritating aspect for me. I mean, how many times have we seen the judges just stare, jaws dropped, at who got voted off in a given week? There's something about asking a nation of generally tone-deaf people to pick a singer that's just wrong.

There's a reason good A&R reps (Artists & Repertoire, the people at a record label who find new acts to sign) are worth so much in the business. That kind of ear is as rare a talent as the singers they're looking for.

Oh well. All my griping ain't gonna change a thing. I'll just hang out in Haskins' back yard, throwing bird seed and empty beer cans at Seacrest's head.

Shwebb
01-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Remember those smooth-singing twins from Tuesday night?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10923818/

A. Hamilton
01-19-2006, 08:26 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10923818/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10923818/)
Busted!
Something caught my eye, I seem to remember those guys saying they were 16, not 28. The reason I recall this is that it struck us so odd..they looked OLD.

pconsidine
01-19-2006, 09:25 PM
That reminds me of another thing -

Why is there always some pair of brothers (or whatever) who audition together? They know that they can't actually continue on the show as a duo, right? If you want to be the next Boyz II Men or something, it ain't the place for you.

By the way, I see that Kelly has caved and will let them use her songs for the show.

Humph. All because Simon yelled at her. As if he wasn't totally overreacting anyway.

maestrowork
01-19-2006, 09:51 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10923818/

Whose identity did one guy steal? Justin Guarini's?

writerterri
01-20-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not a major AI fan, although I did follow the finals for a couple of years. (Jenna had a couple of book deals pending on the winners.)
Two things stand out from my limited experience watching that show:
1. Bo Bice really could sing his arse off.

2. Nothing about the actual competition will ever be better than the outakes from the tryouts. Some of those acts were beyond hilarious.

I agree. Some of those were pretty funny.

writerterri
01-20-2006, 10:36 AM
That's the other irritating aspect for me. I mean, how many times have we seen the judges just stare, jaws dropped, at who got voted off in a given week? There's something about asking a nation of generally tone-deaf people to pick a singer that's just wrong.

There's a reason good A&R reps (Artists & Repertoire, the people at a record label who find new acts to sign) are worth so much in the business. That kind of ear is as rare a talent as the singers they're looking for.

Oh well. All my griping ain't gonna change a thing. I'll just hang out in Haskins' back yard, throwing bird seed and empty beer cans at Seacrest's head.

Well, it's worth a laugh anyways.