Worn out plots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey Sweeney

Registered
Reaction score
When you write a romance novel (or really, any kind of novel) that has an unoriginal plot, what makes it stand out from others with similar storylines? Unique character descriptions? Unusual locations? A new twist to an old plot? I actually look for a specific plot and get irritated (as a reader) when the writer strays from the storyline I look for, so I'm the worst person to answer this question, yet...as a writer, I want to know how to make my story stand out from others with similar plots.
(Sorry if that's poorly worded, I'm also not the world's best at writing coherent questions.)

Thanks,
Stacey

kaku

Registered
Reaction score
Look at this from a reader's perspective. Fiction mirrors real life. If someone told you a story you'd already heard before, would it interest you? What would it take to capture your interest? Something would REALLY have to standout to interest me. It's much easier to take a novel(pardon the pun) approach and pick characters, plots and setting that are somewhat unique and weave that into a story than to try and do another remake of an old story interesting. Look at the scads of movie remakes. How many of them were worth the effort?

Kaku

Status
Not open for further replies.