PDA

View Full Version : Which movie is this?

Diver
08-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Dear all,

Iíve been searching for a movie I saw years back on cable TV. Problem is I donít know its title, credits or release date (I think itís the nineties).

Itís about a father and son relationship.

The father is a grumpy old man. The son is a young surgeon. The surgeon has a wife and kids. When the wife dies in an accident, the old man helps his son cope with his loss.

I know itís not a lot to go on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jvc
08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm drawing a blank. Anything else you can remember? Where it was set? Any character names? Did it have alien dinosaur robots come back in time to save all the slugs?

Diver
08-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi jvc, thanks for looking into this.

This is one of those movies where I recall the main theme and atmosphere, but not the specifics. Its a family drama. I know Iím not helping things muchÖ. I whish I knew who acted in the movie.

This is what I remember - details may be edgy.

The movie begins with the son as a fellow resident (cardiac surgery) and receives a call from the police. The old man is entrenched in his apartment with a shotgun. He does not want to be evicted. The son talks him into moving in with him.

During this time the son falls in love with his future wife. I can remember the details. They have two children.

On the day of his very first cardiac operation, the wife dies in a car accident.

The son is devastated. He canít operate anymore. He can barely manage his household. The old man moves in with his son once more, and basically helps him get on his feet again.

The movie ends with the old man dying in the hospital of old age. He lived to be about 100 years old. On his deathbed, his son tells him itís ok to let go, that he and the kids would manage all right.

Other tidbits:
The grumpy old man was an immigrant (west Europe). He liked to bake.

amblack
08-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Dear all,

Iíve been searching for a movie I saw years back on cable TV. Problem is I donít know its title, credits or release date (I think itís the nineties).

Itís about a father and son relationship.

The father is a grumpy old man. The son is a young surgeon. The surgeon has a wife and kids. When the wife dies in an accident, the old man helps his son cope with his loss.

I know itís not a lot to go on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you happen to remember if it was a made for TV movie or was it a movie released in theaters?

Diver
08-29-2012, 10:37 PM
I've no idea amblack. :(

I have searched IMDb and other movie databases and its driving me nuts I can't find it.

Maryn
08-30-2012, 12:27 AM
I hope you don't mind that I've asked elsewhere on your behalf. If anyone comes up with likely titles, I'll share them as soon as I know.

Maryn, amazed at people who remember every movie they've ever seen

Gravity
08-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Was it Dad (1989) with Jack Lemmon and Ted Danson? Nahh, probably not ...

Diver
08-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Maryn: Thanks. I donít know why I remember this particular movie, but it resonated with me.

Gravity: Checked the trailer, its no Dad. Thanks for the suggestion.

MttStrn
08-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Probably Roomates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roommates_(1995_film)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Probably Roomates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roommates_(1995_film) Beat me by that much! Altho I don't recolect the shotgun at the beginning.

Diver
08-30-2012, 04:54 PM
That's it!

It's a grandfather - grandson relationship story. No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere.

Kuddos for finding the movie on faulty info. I wonder where I got the shotgun idea...

Thank you everyone for your help. :snoopy:

Maryn
08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm so glad you got it. No one has replied to my question at the other site. (I'm so unpopular.)

Maryn, smiling