Status
Not open for further replies.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Perhaps we could make this similar to the Braggage thread for those with success stories.

People can post if they have sold a piece, have gotten a great job, have landed a big contract, etc.

If it's not needed, this thread can just sink into the abyss. :)

Last edited:

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I much prefer the term 'hack', myself. <G>

Seriously, what is it about art and writing that makes it okay for hobbyists and the unskilled to sniff derisively and say 'Oh, she sold out because she's in galleries / worked with a commercial account / sold a *novel* to a *publisher*, etc.'

Most writers and artists just want to get paid for their work. No different than plumbers or accountants. There are a few of us - and I have been in that business, too - who've carefully skirted the legal and ethical edges between inspiration and intellectual property theft. I've left jobs and companies who wanted to push me over that edge. But yes, I certainly can call myself an art hack and mean it affectionately and honestly.

I'm all for this thread, but I'd beg caution on the terms we use to describe what we do. For every one of us making money at our craft, there are a few hundred frustrated souls trying to figure out how. Words have power. Words can convince a new artist to hang in there and try as many options as possible - or curl up in a weepy ball and stop making art.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I was definitely playing off that stereotype. But you guys make some good points.

What are some clever titles we could use instead?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Perhaps a title change to "Art Braggage" or something similar might be appropriate?

While I appreciate the sense of humor in the original title, I can see that it might cause problems.

Tezzirax

Registered
Reaction score
Those who shmooz get into galleries. That's not my game either.

I wanted to be an animator when I was a kid. I had an uncle who was a veteran of Disney and went on to become a mucky-muck at Hanna Barbera.

He burst my bubble way back in the '70's with his tales of the changing industry and the role of unions and overseas studios. Convinced that by the time I was educated and ready to enter the work force there would no longer be much of an animation industry for me here I didn't know what I would do. Perhaps go into painting like my mother or photography like my father.

What I found was an Atari home computer in the early 80's. And a book on 8 bit graphics. The Atari became an Amiga a few years later with programs like Deluxe Paint.

After a stint of security guard jobs and a couple years of community college life drawing and ceramics I landed a job as a draftsman for a furniture manufacturer. I thought that was it, I at least had a job that let me put pencil to paper and draw.

The computer art was a hobby. I loved it, and loved games and other graphics done in that era of the 80's. I went to an Amiga users group meeting, my first time going because they were having a graphics presentation of what some of their members had created.

Wonderful stuff- I was really impressed. After the general meeting was over a guy stood up in the front of the packed auditorium and said he was looking for an amiga artist to work with his game company.

I left to go home and on the way out, just past the door that same guy stood alone. Out of all those people showing off their talents as artists, not one of them went up to him with any interest in applying their creative talents to a paycheck.

I stopped and introduced myself, I didn't have anything with me to show him - I had not even had anything in the art showing. But I asked him about his game company and he said they made sport games for 8 bit consoles and amiga, that they were looking for a computer artist/animator.

I later interviewed with him, after I had prepared a demo reel within the span of a week showing animation and characters with a sport theme.

That was my break into a brand new industry. Now I am a motion graphic artist, technical artist and game designer. An old timer from the start of an industry. My goal of being an animator was met...everything I had wanted to do growing up was realized because I jumped up and went for it when an auditorium of people passed.

Rhubix

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to be an animator when I was a kid. I had an uncle who was a veteran of Disney and went on to become a mucky-muck at Hanna Barbera.

/ mind blown - I have 0 artists in my family... unless you count that distant uncle who tattoos all his biker friends....

He burst my bubble way back in the '70's with his tales of the changing industry and the role of unions and overseas studios. Convinced that by the time I was educated and ready to enter the work force there would no longer be much of an animation industry for me here I didn't know what I would do.
I think all the veterans are like that. All my best teachers where - haha.

I stopped and introduced myself, I didn't have anything with me to show him - I had not even had anything in the art showing. But I asked him about his game company and he said they made sport games for 8 bit consoles and amiga, that they were looking for a computer artist/animator.

I later interviewed with him, after I had prepared a demo reel within the span of a week showing animation and characters with a sport theme.

That was my break into a brand new industry. Now I am a motion graphic artist, technical artist and game designer. An old timer from the start of an industry. My goal of being an animator was met...everything I had wanted to do growing up was realized because I jumped up and went for it when an auditorium of people passed.

Love this story :D

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
I designed the 2007 North American Events Brochure for Ferrari :)

Latest piece:
darkknight.jpg

Took around 20 hours in Photoshop with my tablet. I had a sore arm for a solid week after.

My most recent contract is with CBS Radio (for a client of theirs). Pretty steady and ongoing work.

Life is pretty busy on the creative front :)

Last edited:

Rhubix

Registered
Reaction score
I kicked a job test in the face! Final interview on October 4th, but seems like a logistics meeting rather than a formal interview. 7 month contract - yay eating!

**update- got the job :D **
Took around 20 hours in Photoshop with my tablet. I had a sore arm for a solid week after.

Nice batman - don't forget to stretch those wrists all the time- don't want to end up with carpel tunnel or something! :e2beat:

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I'm late checking in.

I landed a Marketing/Art internship at Musa Publishing. So, that's good news.

Also, one of my images from my last job has sort of become a niche meme. I've now seen it circulating stripped of it's original web address. Such is the nature of social media work... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.