PDA

View Full Version : Copper - BBC America

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Anyone watching this show (http://www.bbcamerica.com/copper/)?

I am rather enjoying it despite the fact that it couldn't be any less realistic if they replaced the Irish with Orcs. I confess my enjoyment may be largely due to a visceral reaction to the overdose of testosterone.

knporter
08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I was excited for this show to premiere and it certainly has lived up to my expectations. I agree that testosterone does drive the show and that is ok because there are too many shows these days that lack the testosterone. Another great piece by BBC for sure.

Calla Lily
08-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm still on the fence. Still need to catch ep 2 on demand.

My general grief with BBC shows is that they are heavy on grim, with an extra dash of depressing and a dollop of misery, all swimming a sauce of hopelessness. *cough* Touching Evil *cough* Luther *cough* (I would listen to Idris Elba read a phone book, but I can't get through a single ep of Luther. :()

So, I'll give Copper another ep or 2.

oldhousejunkie
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I've never played here before, but I saw this post on the main page and thought I would chime in because I've been looking for others who watch this show.

I was super excited about the concept and was a little let down by the first episode. I'm still trying to figure out why the Irish accents come and go. :Shrug:

However, I was bowled over by the ending of episode two. I kept thinking it had to be a dream sequence and then I realized it wasn't. Wow. But now I'm trying to figure out where they can go from here because I was thinking that such an ending would be reserved for later in the season.

Despite the inconsistencies and my doubts, I'm a sucker for any serialized period drama! And Tom Weston-Jones is pretty hot. :o

Grrarrgh
08-29-2012, 12:15 AM
I really liked the first episode. I haven't caught the 2nd yet, but I'm hoping to tonight. I'm glad people are liking it; gives me hope it'll stick around for a bit.

CrastersBabies
08-29-2012, 12:52 AM
I caught an episode... about a girl's murder? Was that the first? I liked it even though it moved pretty fast.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-29-2012, 04:07 AM
I caught an episode... about a girl's murder? Was that the first? I liked it even though it moved pretty fast.
That was what we noticed at our house, but we rather liked the fact that after what felt like only fifteen or twenty minutes, the hour was nearly over (and BBCA has so many commerical breaks, on DVR, the hour seems to fly by).

CrastersBabies
08-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Yeah, I liked it a lot. But, I kept wondering if that was the first one or if I missed one. They jumped right in without much introduction of characters. There was some. I just didn't know if it was supposed to be that way and if I'm going to need to be a little "sharper" in watching and catching all the subtle introductory things (like the rich guy who is missing part his leg). I wondered if I missed episode 1 where they might have had more introduction with him, or, if they're pretty much just tossing viewers in headfirst. Either is good. Was more curious.

I really like the music, too. It captured me immediately.

Calla Lily
08-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Ep 2 had a few too many giant plot leaps. Apparently necessary for the story to conclude, but Mack-truck sized.

Def noticed the disappearing-reappearing accents more. :tongue

I'll give it one more, but it's losing me.

MattW
08-29-2012, 05:09 AM
2 Eps waiting on my DVR. I want to like it, and the location/time is ripe for a good show.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Yeah, I liked it a lot. But, I kept wondering if that was the first one or if I missed one. They jumped right in without much introduction of characters. There was some. I just didn't know if it was supposed to be that way and if I'm going to need to be a little "sharper" in watching and catching all the subtle introductory things (like the rich guy who is missing part his leg). I wondered if I missed episode 1 where they might have had more introduction with him, or, if they're pretty much just tossing viewers in headfirst. Either is good. Was more curious.

I really like the music, too. It captured me immediately.It did start rather abruptly. I recall that when the two main coppers went to the whore house (scene 2 or 3) I had trouble telling them apart. I thought it was the main copper with the red-haired girl and then, when they switched to the main copper, I realized my mistake.

But there was very little introductory exposition. I remember a forced conversation during the bank heist, I think, when the two characters unload a shipload of backstory (missing wife, dead child, sailor possibly responsible, etc.) which sounded about as naturalistic as if they'd inserted a song and dance number, but that was about it.

CrastersBabies
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, Johnny. That's what I'm talking about. I'm cool with jumping headfirst in, but I did get confused there with the guys/whorehouse stuff.

I may rewatch it. When I see episode 2, I'll have to pay closer attention. :)

BarbaraSheridan
08-30-2012, 04:28 AM
I love this show to pieces. The characterization is solid, the plot and backstory make you think.I like the gritty non political correctness of it. And I'm forever a sucker of anything historical.

CrastersBabies
08-30-2012, 05:19 AM
I love this show to pieces. The characterization is solid, the plot and backstory make you think.I like the gritty non political correctness of it. And I'm forever a sucker of anything historical.

Says the poster with the snobby cat avatar (haha). Love the pic.

fireluxlou
08-30-2012, 10:47 AM
I want to see this considering the good reviews and it being the first ever BBC America series.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I may rewatch it. When I see episode 2, I'll have to pay closer attention. :)By the end of ep 2 you'll be able to tell them apart easily. The sidekick looks like a young version of the Al Swearengen character from Deadwood.

CrastersBabies
08-30-2012, 06:46 PM
By the end of ep 2 you'll be able to tell them apart easily. The sidekick looks like a young version of the Al Swearengen character from Deadwood.

Nice! I have it on DVR. Will watch it today while the little one is at school. It's my guilty pleasure ME time.

BarbaraSheridan
09-21-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't know if any of you have kept up with the show but I saw a link on Twitter or FB last night that Season 3 has not been picked up.

Tomorrow's show is the last although Kyle Schmid (Maj. Morehouse ) did post that a movie continuation (http://t.co/N4eWaWgXEu) is possible.

Derrick
09-21-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't know if any of you have kept up with the show but I saw a link on Twitter or FB last night that Season 3 has not been picked up.

Tomorrow's show is the last although Kyle Schmid (Maj. Morehouse ) did post that a movie continuation (http://t.co/N4eWaWgXEu) is possible.

I was totally gobsmacked when I heard about this. From the way BBCAmerica went on about it, I thought it was their top-rated show. I'm sorry to hear it's been cancelled. I liked it.

Manuel Royal
09-23-2013, 07:33 AM
I like the show a lot, and the season ended on something of a cliffhanger.

CrastersBabies
09-23-2013, 08:13 PM
I stopped watching after 2 episodes. I felt like I was dropped into a show and had missed the first season. Or something. I just don't know. I'd be interested to know from others who stuck with it if things got better, or changed, or whatnot.