regain rights, then epublish

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeexix

Registered
Reaction score
I regained the rights to a book I published hardcopy with a regular publisher. I am about to epublish it. Has anyone out there done this? What do you put on the copyright page? Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Skeexix, welcome to AW.

I assume that you intend to self-publish an electronic edition of your book, rather than submit it to e-publishers, so I'm going to move this to our self publishing room. Let me know if I've made a mistake.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Plenty of people do this. My own efforts have been a little half-hearted but I now have a pile of reverted books I mean to make available. Probably as ebooks and POD.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I regained the rights to a book I published hardcopy with a regular publisher. I am about to epublish it. Has anyone out there done this? What do you put on the copyright page? Thanks!

Copyright page should say something like this:

THINGUMMY: A NOVEL
A Somethingorother Press book
[ISBN]

First published [year] by [company]
This edition published [year]

Copyright (c) Skeexix, [year of first publication]

All rights reserved. [Usually you put a bit of boilerplate here explaining that people can't copy or distribute your book without your express permission.]

[You can also put some bumf here, like your web page address.]

skeexix

Registered
Reaction score
what about including the Library of Congress Catalog-in-Publication material? I've seen that done in other ebooks. "The Library of Congress has cataloged the hardcover edition as follows:" etc---

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
what about including the Library of Congress Catalog-in-Publication material? I've seen that done in other ebooks. "The Library of Congress has cataloged the hardcover edition as follows:" etc---

Ah, yes - in the Uk we would put something like 'a CIP catalogue record for this book is available from the British Library' - for US titles, you seem
to use the more fulsome LoC wording, including a synopsis and keywords. Though of course you'd need to ensure that it was indeed catalogued, so you'd need to arrange that (no idea how, sorry - Google will know I'm sure.)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna second what Torgo said - having recently gone through this with one of my books, and having helped publisher hubby with some of his clients.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score

For an ebook, it's probably not necessary or all that useful. AFAIK, these are mostly used by libraries and booksellers and not applicable to a "self-published" ebook.

Indexing and synopsis at the individual store will be based on items you put into a form when you add the book to the store.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Copyright page should say something like this:

THINGUMMY: A NOVEL
A Somethingorother Press book
[ISBN]

First published [year] by [company]
This edition published [year]

Copyright (c) Skeexix, [year of first publication]

All rights reserved. [Usually you put a bit of boilerplate here explaining that people can't copy or distribute your book without your express permission.]

[You can also put some bumf here, like your web page address.]

Yes, John Whuhchew-McCallit's Thingummy is one of our biggest sellers. Its sequel, Revenge of the Thingamajig, will be out soon. Thanks for the plug.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't recommend his first, Doodads, Doohickeys, and That...That...You Know...That...THING...You Know...The...The...THE THING...You KNOW, enough.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I can't recommend his first, Doodads, Doohickeys, and That...That...You Know...That...THING...You Know...The...The...THE THING...You KNOW, enough.

I found it a bit longwinded and lacking in direction, to be honest. But you know what they say about first novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.