Best way to send manuscript

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I received word back from an agent (after reading a submitted sample of my novel) to send over my entire manuscript with a synopsis and my sales figures so far (I've already self published).

What's the best way to do this? I've done a bit of searching on this site (very informative!), but I'm still not sure what I should do.

Would I just email over my completed manuscript along with my electronic press kit? Is there a proper way to show sales figures?

Sorry for all the questions! Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
When an agent asks for a manuscript, they're expecting an attached Word document (not docX, which can screw up formatting on ereaders).

REPLY to the email request, don't start a new email; this keeps the communication chain clear and intact (you'd be surprised how many people try to fake requests). Write a short message stating that you've attached the requested materials. In this message is where you'd add in information like your sales figures.

Good luck!

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cyia! I figured I had to print out and bound, so this makes things a lot more easier!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In a Lamborghini stretch limo the color of a ripe pumpkin, accompanied by a half-dozen security people dressed as guards of the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.

That oughtta get his attention.

caw

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could always email the agent and ask if she'd prefer to receive it by email or post.

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I just sent the .doc file, via email. At this point I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to receive word back.
I'm wondering if I should still contact other agents. When agents request manuscripts is that an indication they will sign you or could it still go either way at this point?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I'm wondering if I should still contact other agents.

Yes, you should. The wheels in the publishing biz move very slowly, and if you query only one at a time, you could die of old age before you go through everyone.

When agents request manuscripts is that an indication they will sign you or could it still go either way at this point?

It could still go either way. Based on stats from agents, they offer rep for only a small percentage of full manuscripts they ask to see.

Hence....keep querying. Oh, and good luck!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
When agents request manuscripts is that an indication they will sign you

No.

A request means that you've piqued an agent's interest. It's the equivalent of a reader liking the blurb on the back of your book, so they decide to read through a few pages.

Getting requests is a good thing - definitely - and it means that there's a chance you'll be signed, but it's not a guarantee.

Also, since you appear to be very new at this, have you checked this agent out thoroughly? Have you gone to Agent Query or Query Tracker to see others' experiences with this agent? Have you put their name into the search box here to see if there have been any issues reported with them? Have you checked Publisher's Marketplace to see if they have any sales on their record?

There are a lot of scammers out there. ALWAYS check, double and triple check any agent you plan to submit to.

DreamyPen16

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you should. The wheels in the publishing biz move very slowly, and if you query only one at a time, you could die of old age before you go through everyone.

It could still go either way. Based on stats from agents, they offer rep for only a small percentage of full manuscripts they ask to see.

Hence....keep querying. Oh, and good luck!

Thanks! :)

No.

A request means that you've piqued an agent's interest. It's the equivalent of a reader liking the blurb on the back of your book, so they decide to read through a few pages.

Getting requests is a good thing - definitely - and it means that there's a chance you'll be signed, but it's not a guarantee.

Also, since you appear to be very new at this, have you checked this agent out thoroughly? Have you gone to Agent Query or Query Tracker to see others' experiences with this agent? Have you put their name into the search box here to see if there have been any issues reported with them? Have you checked Publisher's Marketplace to see if they have any sales on their record?

There are a lot of scammers out there. ALWAYS check, double and triple check any agent you plan to submit to.

Good to know, thank you! And yes, I have tried to research this agent, but there's not much online that I can find. The most I know is that they have represented NYT Bestselling authors, many of which are in my genre. I've also googled and they've gotten praise on this site alone (that's how I actually learned this site existed!). Hopefully I will hear great news, but until then I guess I should start querying other agents!

Thanks for all of the advice, you guys are awesome!

jcroc

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely keep querying. I've also heard full requests aren't that uncommon (I think I read this a while back on Mary Kole's blog) - exciting though!