PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good copy-editor for my novel?

iwannabepublished
08-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I recently received a critic on one of my stories that turned out to be a double edge sword. The person said they would have given my novel a five star review if it were not for the punctuation typographical, grammar, spelling, subject-verb, verb tenses (well you get the point) errors. He counted 112. So, now I am on a quest to find the ‘perfect’ copy-editor. I don’t have tons of money to spend but think my chances for some kind of success depend on having the best presentation possible and I am willing to pay something for this service. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

James D. Macdonald
08-27-2012, 10:21 PM
You can check out Windhaven Press.

But you can also go a long way toward making your manuscript clean by learning to edit your work yourself. Self-Editing for Fiction Writers comes highly recommended.

thothguard51
08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Jim is too honest to recommend his lovely wife, so I will.

Click on the link at the Bottom of the page for Dr Doyle's Editorial & Critique services. She is very reasonable and very experienced.

I do agree with Uncle Jim about learning to edit for yourself, but sometimes we need a professional to point things out we keep repeating, or not doing, over and over again. I look at it as form of continuing education and like I said, Dr Doyle's prices are very reasonable.

Medievalist
08-27-2012, 10:46 PM
There's a list in the AW Publishing FAQs: [Publishing Services] Service Providers (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246884)

Maryn
08-27-2012, 11:45 PM
I recently received a critic on one of my stories that turned out to be a double edge sword. The person said they would have given my novel a five star review if it were not for the punctuation typographical, grammar, spelling, subject-verb, verb tenses (well you get the point) errors. He counted 112. So, now I am on a quest to find the ‘perfect’ copy-editor. I don’t have tons of money to spend but think my chances for some kind of success depend on having the best presentation possible and I am willing to pay something for this service. Any help will be greatly appreciated.I'm not usually such a dick, honest, but is your novel written like this post? I ask because while I realize you may have simply dashed this off using your phone on the way to a meeting, it contains quite a few errors of the type you wish to pay an editor to find and correct.

Will you be paying an editor for every story or novel you write? Are you prepared to pay more than your novel or story might earn, up-front before it finds a publisher--if indeed it ever does? That seems like a poor business plan.

While I have no idea what rates any particular individual charges, say your editor charges within the range of the rates quoted at the Editorial Freelancers Association, http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php.

Copyediting, basic, 5–10 ms pgs/hr, $30–40/hr.

Say your novel is 80,000 words at 250 words per page. 80,000 words = 320 pages. If your editor is fast and cheap, completing 10 pages an hour for $30 an hour, he or she will whip that novel into shape in 32 hours, for which s/he will charge you $960.

Of course, your editor could be slow and expensive (and how would you know ahead of time?), so recalculate that for 5 pages an hour at $40, for a total of $2560. Ouch!

Are you financially able to pay one or two thousand dollars per novel to fix its mistakes? Wouldn't it be more sensible to expend the effort (perhaps paying someone to teach you) to master basic writing mechanics so you catch and correct these errors yourself? Learn it, apply it, and save both time and money on every novel you write.

Of course, you may have demands on your time and energy which preclude this option, or a learning disability which makes it impossible, but most people who can find the time to complete a novel can find time to re-learn basic skills writers use.

Maryn, hoping this comes across as tough love rather than bitch