Help with a Turkish translation

Goblynmarket

Registered
Reaction score
Learning the difference between assholes and elbow
A significant location in my WIP is an apartment that the MC is squatting in. She gives it the name 'Red Wall' but in Turkish. Google translate gave me 'al duvar' which is nice and short, and would be easy enough for other characters (non Turkish speaking) to pronounce.

I feel kind of wary of this translation though. Anyone able to help me out?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
A significant location in my WIP is an apartment that the MC is squatting in. She gives it the name 'Red Wall' but in Turkish. Google translate gave me 'al duvar' which is nice and short, and would be easy enough for other characters (non Turkish speaking) to pronounce.

I feel kind of wary of this translation though. Anyone able to help me out?

I'm hardly a Turkish expert (I had two semesters of classes several years ago) but that looks fine.

Al is an older Turkish word for red, kırmızı is a more modern word. But if you want to stay away from the i without the dot, using al is probably the best bet anyway.

Duvar does mean wall.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Goblynmarket

Registered
Reaction score
Learning the difference between assholes and elbow
Thanks. kırmızı was the first word I came across. I hadn't realized that 'al' was an older term.

Now for a followup, is 'al' old as in archaic Turkish or just not as commonly used anymore? 'Cuz archaic could actually work well in the narrative.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Thanks. kırmızı was the first word I came across. I hadn't realized that 'al' was an older term.

Now for a followup, is 'al' old as in archaic Turkish or just not as commonly used anymore? 'Cuz archaic could actually work well in the narrative.

As I recall, it's a bit of both.

Like most languages, there's a couple of different terms for colors...

Kırmızı is an import (Crimson). I'm not sure where Al comes from, though. There's also Kızıl, which is definitely comes from old Turkish-- it's one of those words that similar in all of the Turkic languages. (Kind of like red is similar across many of the Germanic languages.)