PDA

View Full Version : Counter Weight Traps (Tree Version)

Jonathan.Bentz
08-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Right, so I'm working on a couple of new scripts, and in a scene in one of them a character becomes trapped by a counter weight system another character put in place to capture them (this is related to my Predator & Prey logline).

I've looked at the how-tos and the videos, but one thing I haven't been clear on is this: can you use something like a sandbag instead of a rock, or is a rock the only way to go?

Just wondering, because even if it is a script that'll get re-written to the satisfaction of others, it'd be nice to not have an amateurish mistake. I'm not hunter, obviously, so....

Maryn
08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Weight is weight. If your character has a means to secure a sandbag for use as a counterweight, there's no reason it won't work.

It also offers some interesting possibilities for escape by means of a small rip or leak, the sand moving with literal hourglass slowness until the sandbag is no longer heavy enough to do the job of counterweighting. Try that with a rock!

I've seen diagrams for counterweights using water, which eventually evaporates, releasing the prey when it becomes light enough.

Maryn, thinking the characters have to use what's at hand, of course

Jonathan.Bentz
08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Weight is weight. If your character has a means to secure a sandbag for use as a counterweight, there's no reason it won't work.

It also offers some interesting possibilities for escape by means of a small rip or leak, the sand moving with literal hourglass slowness until the sandbag is no longer heavy enough to do the job of counterweighting. Try that with a rock!

I've seen diagrams for counterweights using water, which eventually evaporates, releasing the prey when it becomes light enough.

Maryn, thinking the characters have to use what's at hand, of course

Very true, if the character caught in the trap had the means to cut the sandbag. The person who sets the trap (the killer, for lack of a better term) comes prepared. The character who becomes trapped comes to the area often to exercise alone (its a place known only to the victim and his deceased father).

I just needed to be sure it would be good. Now, I assume a standard sandbag weighing between 50-100 lbs. would be enough along with the stick and rope combo to act as the counter-weight for a teenager (which is what the victim is)? Of course, in a film most people aren't thinking in that fashion, but I'm sure a few seasoned hunters would raise an eyebrow if this weren't right on the money....

WeaselFire
08-27-2012, 10:10 PM
We used to use logs as a deadweight during survival training. Easily available, easy to tie and can add some leverage of their own.

Jeff