PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows That Should Be Brought Back

IAMWRITER
08-26-2012, 10:40 PM
As the title says.

What TV Show did you think got cancelled way before its time? Or do you think should just be brought back full stop?

For me, it has to be Heroes. I think the show still had so much potential. But I think its main downfall was having a lot of support characters that came and go each season. I think they should have just had a set number of characters with abilities with the support cast being normal, so to speak. That was what turned a number of my friends off the show.

Al Stevens
08-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

PorterStarrByrd
08-26-2012, 10:58 PM
The three stooges

Calla Lily
08-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Brimstone

Kitty27
08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Profit

I LOVED that show.

Beauty&The Beast
Vincent! *sob*

It was a weekly ritual for me when I was a kid to watch this show with my mother.

Werewolf

I couldn't get enough of this show when I was a kid. I was a creepy child,lol.

thothguard51
08-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Here - here...

Mary Hartman and Soap...

taichiquan.panda
08-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Firefly
Dead Like Me
Carnivale
:)

HeavilyMedicated
08-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Beauty&The Beast
Vincent! *sob*

There's a remake happening..on the CW...with Kristin Kreuk. :/

Max Vaehling
08-27-2012, 02:42 AM
As a remake or as a continuation of the original run?

The thing about remakes: If the show was any good, chances are they're gonna ruin it. So I'm reluctant to name any.

On the off-chance that it's more of a BSG than a V, I'd say Space: 1999, just to see how they'd salvage the dodgy science. (I actually twittered a bit of a treatment once myself, but I'm open to ideas that aren't mine. Also, I forgot most of it.)

And I'm pretty sure that once I hit 'post', I'll think of a dozen more.

About continuations: I'm mostly cool with whatever amount of show I got from my favorites (yes, even Firefly) and happy if the creators move on to make more good showa. But at least I'd like to see a proper ending to some prematurely-canceled ones. Also, Veronica Mars. There can never be enough Veronica Mars.

zerosystem
08-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Macgyver and Quantum Leap. I would have added Knight Rider as well, but after that awful remake from a few years ago...

KateSmash
08-27-2012, 02:47 AM
FARSCAPE! If I ever meet the Skiffy execs that cancelled it ... :guns:

Also, Rome and Carnivale. Rome had a half-assed ending and Carnivale had no ending at all. (And I love everyone on both those casts.)

MattW
08-27-2012, 03:39 AM
Deadwood.

HeavilyMedicated
08-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Macgyver and Quantum Leap. I would have added Knight Rider as well, but after that awful remake from a few years ago...

I would freak. I loved that show. :)

Calla Lily
08-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Samurai Jack. One of the most brilliant cartoons ever. They held out vague promises of a movie-length finale that would wrap up the loose ends, but it never happened. :(

druid12000
08-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Here - here...

Mary Hartman and Soap...

Soap was one of the funniest shows I have seen!

druid12000
08-27-2012, 05:18 AM
MST 3000. Plenty of fodder for them. And that s*it is funny :)

LadyV
08-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Detriot 187. It was on at a bad time slot and ABC just never gave it a chance. I'm still a little bitter over it.

Calla Lily
08-27-2012, 05:40 AM

www.rifftrax.com (http://www.rifftrax.com)

Live simulcast of Birdemic on October 25th!

mellymel
08-27-2012, 05:45 AM
VERONICA MARS!!!!!

And I agree about Rome. Really loved that show and thought it ended strangely. I think I read they just ran out of money? Oh, wait, here it is:

HBO Chairman Chris Albrecht announced in a July 2006 news conference that season two of Rome would be its last, citing the fact that the series (called "notoriously expensive" by Broadcasting & Cable) had been developed under a two-year contract with the BBC that would have been difficult for the BBC to extend due to the series' cost.[25][26] Of the storyline, co-creator Heller said:
“ I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around.[27]

What a shame. It was a great show.

EmilyBrooke
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Firefly! It was better in one season than many shows are in multiple seasons.

gothicangel
08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine.

And this is why I hated Rome. Palestine? Palestine? Did they ever pick up a history book once in that show? ACK!!!

Please Mr Chairman, go read up on Palestinian Jews and Galilean Jews, then we will talk. :rant:

An HBO re-make of I, Claudius is in the works, but I won't touch that thing. You can't beat the Derek Jacobi, Brian Blessed, Patrick Stewart and John Hurt original. You just know what they'll do with Tiberius and Caligula.

Agree with Quantum Leap. Not a massive sci-fi fan, but I love that show. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were brilliant.

Six Alaric
08-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Pushing Daisies. I'm not sure if it got cancelled or what, but the second series was pacing along just fine until a sudden and quite unexpected 'then everything turned out fine and they all lived happily ever after' ending that felt massively unsatisfying.

strawberryblondie
08-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Dead Like Me.

crunchyblanket
08-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Firefly! It was better in one season than many shows are in multiple seasons.

Agreed. I'd love me some more Firefly

If they could contrive a way to bring Krycek back from the dead, I'd love a little more X-Files. Wrap up the mythology. It is 2012, after all.

gothicangel
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
If they could contrive a way to bring Krycek back from the dead, I'd love a little more X-Files. Wrap up the mythology. It is 2012, after all.

Seconded. I didn't think the ending was satifactory enough.

Parametric
08-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Profit

I LOVED that show.

I actually thought of Profit even before Firefly. And I'm a huge Firefly fan so that says a lot. Profit was awesomely creepy.

I know this would never ever ever happen (not least because some of the principal actors are dead now) but I'm just going to fantasise about more episodes of Yes, Minister.

KateSmash
08-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Samurai Jack. One of the most brilliant cartoons ever. They held out vague promises of a movie-length finale that would wrap up the loose ends, but it never happened. :(

Yes! Unfortunately, with the passing of Mako (the voice of Aku) a few years ago, I don't think it's ever going to happen. :(

Calla Lily
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I know, but surely they could find a good imitator. I've seen a few stand-up comedians imitate celebrities brilliantly.

Alas, the show's creator has moved on to other things.

KateSmash
08-27-2012, 04:25 PM
The voice actor they used on Avatar: the Last Airbender did a pretty good job with Mako's Iroh voice. But yeah, Genndy Tartakovsky moved on a long time ago. And the movie got put on hold because JJ Abrams went on to the Star Trek reboot instead.

The stars are never going to line up right for this one.

Kitty27
08-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Dear Lord.

:cry:

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2012, 04:29 PM
As long as we're talking about bringing back the originals and not some horrible re-imagined remake (unfortunately, for some of these, the original actors are dead or close to it):
Time Tunnel.
Kolchak, the Night Stalker.
Tales of the Gold Monkey.
Star Trek.
Special Unit 2.
The Invaders.
The Dresden Files.
Karen Sisco.
Threshold.

and please, not ever, Firefly. :D

EMaree
08-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Firefly <3 Oh, I miss it. Serenity was good, but it was trying to do to much at once for my tastes. (I may still be bitter about a certain death...)

firedrake
08-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Add me to the list of people who'd like to see that return.

I'd like Torchwood to come back. Please, please, please not the dreadful Americanised version, but the original set-in-Cardiff version.

crunchyblanket
08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Firefly <3 Oh, I miss it. Serenity was good, but it was trying to do to much at once for my tastes. (I may still be bitter about a certain death...)

I still haven't gotten over it.

Serenity was good, I thought, but they were always going to be constrained by format, and I think the uncertainty of whether they'd get a second film or not made them cram as much into the film as they could. Still, I gots me some shirtless Simon Tam so I can't be too bitter.

Jonathan.Bentz
08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
First thing that comes to mind is a revised and more improved version of Animorphs. The Nickelodeon version quite frankly did not do too well, IMO. They took practically four 20 minute episodes to get through the first half of the first book, it seemed like. If anything, I'd like to see it brought back on something like the CW, cuz guess what? They were teenagers! Put in a block with Arrow or Vamp Diaries or even on a new night, and make it the 40-45 minute runtime. Make it more serious while keeping the style K.A. Applegate held, though of course it would need to be kept in mind she wrote it with kids in mind and not teens (therefore the reason for so little cussing, if any).

Please note that for pure amusements' sake (though if I ever manage to get into Hollywood and such I'll try and find out if I can pitch a new Animorphs series), I decided to start working on a pilot episode based on 'The Invasion', book 1 in the series. I got through the entire conversation and such with Elfangor in 13 pages, and was debating how to handle the whole Visser Three thing.

Of course, I now realize very few people on here might know what I'm talking about....

In terms of other shows, well, I'd be all for some of those cancelled NBC and ABC shows being brought back. I was probably one of the few people to enjoy the new version of V, and was quite irritated at the cliffhanger ending. I would also like them to return to Law & Order: Los Angeles. I want to know if they ever get that jerk-off drug dealer who killed Skeet Ulrich's character. Of course, seeing Skeet Ulrich as a good guy instead of the insane Billy Loomis was quite disconcerting....

lbender
08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Dead Like Me.

Yes.

If Mandy Patinkin hadn't left, they could have gone on. There was a movie length continuation afterwards, but it wasn't very good.

CrastersBabies
08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Lots of great picks on here. I'm on board with:

Firefly
Carnivale
and
Deadwood

I also loved Stargate Universe. Didn't really take to the other shows in the series, but SGU was awesome.

Jericho

It would be fun to see the X-Files return, even in reboot form with Anderson and Duchovney playing the role of mentors or such. :)

CrastersBabies
08-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Good grief. This is not okay.

HeavilyMedicated
08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Good grief. This is not okay.

Dear Lord.

The trailer made me cringe. It does not look good at all.

I'd like Torchwood to come back. Please, please, please not the dreadful Americanised version, but the original set-in-Cardiff version.

Russell T. Davies was still running the show during "Miracle Day". :p

I didn't like a lot of the show, only half of series 2 and Children of Earth. I only kept watching because of Captain Jack (then I grew to like some of the other characters...except Gwen.)

IAMWRITER
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Add me to the list of people who'd like to see that return.

Same.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked the Americanised version, but I prefer the earlier stuff with Ianto and Owen.

KimJo
08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Alien Nation

Alpha Echo
08-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Dollhouse

Lavern08
08-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Kings

(Remember it starred that cute guy from the movie Letters to Juliet?)

amblack
08-27-2012, 11:45 PM

Yesssssss! Every single SyFy movie would be on there.

I will also add Strangers With Candy- if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. Stephen Colbert plays a closeted married history teacher and Amy Sedaris leads the show at Jerri, a dropout who is going back to high school at 40 years old, after doing drugs, prostitution, and jail time. And Dinello isn't so bad on the eyes. ;)

amblack
08-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Dollhouse

That show had so much potential- I was so sad to see it canceled after two seasons. :(

(I tell everyone to skip the first 6 episodes since Whedon didn't have much control over them or the writing, then the show really hits stride.)

The_Riskbreaker
08-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Okay, how has MacGyver not been seconded? I know Richard Dean Anderson is getting up there in his years, but what the hey. I heard at a year or two ago Lee David Zlotoff, the series creator, said he wanted to make one more movie about Mac's last mission. I wished it would come to fruition.

Since it's unmentioned, and because I boycotted AMC over it... Rubicon. A mystery story about government conspiracies that was garning a large fanbase. I wonder if The Walking Dead played a role in killing it. I like TWD but for canceling Rubicon they don't deserve my attention.

Gravity
08-28-2012, 12:02 AM
I know I'm only one of about six people who liked it it, but ... Enterprise.

druid12000
08-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Yesssssss! Every single SyFy movie would be on there.

I will also add Strangers With Candy- if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. Stephen Colbert plays a closeted married history teacher and Amy Sedaris leads the show at Jerri, a dropout who is going back to high school at 40 years old, after doing drugs, prostitution, and jail time. And Dinello isn't so bad on the eyes. ;)

I would LOVE to see MST 3000 bash the bejesus out of SYFY movies!

And I haven't seen Strangers With Candy but I will see if that's on Netflix. Stephen Colbert cracks me up :)

lastlittlebird
08-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I will second Quantum Leap (he never got home :() and Firefly and Carnivale, and add my nomination for Gargoyles.

The first two seasons were amazing. Urban fantasy crossed with science fiction and a lot of Arthurian and international myth.
And pretty much the best super villain ever (the origin of the Xanatos Gambit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit) and all its variations).
If you haven't seen it already, do yourself a favour :)

MttStrn
08-28-2012, 07:08 AM
First and foremost is Firefly of course.

Props to the person who said Tales of the Gold Monkey. I loved that show and would stay up way past my bedtime to watch it when I could get away with it.

One show I wish could come back that never will was the US version of Touching Evil. The UK version is awesome in it's own right but I loved the US one with Jeffery Donovan and Vera Farmiga before they went on to better things. Cancelled after one season even though it had great reviews.

three_act_climax
08-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Loved the characters, incredible dialogue.

American Gothic.

Freaks and Geeks.

telford
08-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Talking of lost potential.

Space Above and Beyond.

CrastersBabies
08-28-2012, 09:06 AM
American Gothic.

Freaks and Geeks.

Winning!

Loved American Gothic! And Freaks and Geeks.

three_act_climax
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Winning!

Loved American Gothic! And Freaks and Geeks.

Has anyone seen Undeclared (also by Judd Apatow) ? It's almost as cult as Freaks and Geeks.

CB... I remember watching American Gothic when I was 13 and thinking it couldn't get any better than this... such a shame it got cancelled.

DragonWing
08-28-2012, 06:39 PM
None.

Because the darn producers, directors, ad execs, etc, can't leave a working formula alone.

Ginger will have an illegitimate kid. They'll feminize Vincent. They'll turn Ralph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American_Hero) into a pretty boy. The General Lee will have Firestone and STP bumper stickers.

And on and on.

Calla Lily
08-28-2012, 06:39 PM
We LOVED the US Touching Evil. (The UK version was way too grim for my tastes.) Jeffrey Donovan was why I started watching Burn Notice (well, also Bruce Campbell, of course).

seaaircarol
08-28-2012, 06:44 PM
I still haven't gotten over the loss of Flash Forward.

IAMWRITER
08-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Another programme I miss. It didn't get the proper ending it deserved

Max Vaehling
08-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Seconded. I didn't think the ending was satifactory enough.

It was too little a mystery for eight seasons of great mysteries to boil down to. Left me very dissatisfied. But then, I never saw the ending of the X-Files until after that 2012 movie had been all the rage.

My initial reaction upon seeing it was, wouldn't it be cool if they picked up in 2012 with kind of a last stand against the ailiens, or something? But that wouldn't be very X-Files, of cousre (I always loved the amibiguities), and I'm not sure if the original format would still work today.

I would like a Miracle Day-like miniseries about the 2012 invasion.

Justin Bossert
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Lost. I know it ran its course and had its ending but I could have watched that show forever, scratching my head as one question was answered but at the same time created five new ones. Not too many shows that suck me in like that and get me thinking.

I'll also throw a reality show out there- The Mole. I detest all reality shows (except the Amazing Race )but this one required skill and intuition to figure out who in the group was the mole.

JoyceH
08-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Nowhere Man. And Odyssey Five.

But maybe I was the only person in the country that watched them?

amblack
08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
I would LOVE to see MST 3000 bash the bejesus out of SYFY movies!

And I haven't seen Strangers With Candy but I will see if that's on Netflix. Stephen Colbert cracks me up :)

SWC is especially hilarious if you ever saw any after school specials. They would lift dialogue straight from those terrible things. Some of the best episodes are "Who Wants Cake", "Yes, You Can't", "Jerri’s Burning Issue", and "To Love, Honor, and Pretend".

Kitty27
08-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Yes for American Gothic!

I love creepy stuff.

I will not even begin to think of what HBO will do to I,Claudius. Not every show needs heaping amounts of bare asses and sex to be good.

Brightdreamer
08-30-2012, 10:04 AM
First thing that comes to mind is a revised and more improved version of Animorphs. The Nickelodeon version quite frankly did not do too well, IMO.

That's an understatement... Nickelodeon not only butchered the mytharc, but bounced the thing around the schedule until you couldn't follow it if you wanted to. (They also shortchanged the FX, especially on the aliens. The aliens were pivotal to the series, and they came off looking like something out of a bad Japanese rubber-suit monster flick.) It's a shame they messed it up; the guts of a great series were right there in front of them. Frankly, I expect someone to try launching an Animorphs movie franchise in the near future. If the right people got hold of it, it would be a kick on the big screen... especially if they had the guts to follow through on the ending. (Hmm... wonder if that's why Scholastic's been re-issuing them?)

As for other shows that could use a relauch/reboot, I keep hoping someone will do another Equalizer. It would only work if they cast an older star, though - you just can't believe a 20-something working off a lifetime's worth of bad karma, no matter how scruffy he looks or how intensely he broods.

EMaree
08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Oh man, an Animorphs reboot would be amazing.

NewKidOldKid
08-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Carnivale. Who are the idiots responsible for canceling this? I'd like to punch them.

Jericho too.

jcroc
08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Firefly times a billion.

amblack
08-31-2012, 09:28 PM
(Hmm... wonder if that's why Scholastic's been re-issuing them?)

Ahh, I bet if the series sells well again, they will give it another try. I'm over vamps and werewolves, let's move onto shifters and other sci-fi paranormals. I enjoyed the show regardless, because I wanted it to succeed so bad.

Another show to add to the list:Tru Calling (I love Dushku) and Pan Am- I know it was campy and ridiculous, but I absolutely adored the show. It wasn't as good as a lot of the ones mentioned on here, but whatever- it was my guilty pleasure baby.

angeliz2k
09-01-2012, 12:28 AM
That's an understatement... Nickelodeon not only butchered the mytharc, but bounced the thing around the schedule until you couldn't follow it if you wanted to. (They also shortchanged the FX, especially on the aliens. The aliens were pivotal to the series, and they came off looking like something out of a bad Japanese rubber-suit monster flick.) It's a shame they messed it up; the guts of a great series were right there in front of them. Frankly, I expect someone to try launching an Animorphs movie franchise in the near future. If the right people got hold of it, it would be a kick on the big screen... especially if they had the guts to follow through on the ending. (Hmm... wonder if that's why Scholastic's been re-issuing them?)

As for other shows that could use a relauch/reboot, I keep hoping someone will do another Equalizer. It would only work if they cast an older star, though - you just can't believe a 20-something working off a lifetime's worth of bad karma, no matter how scruffy he looks or how intensely he broods.

I'm stoked to hear people bring this up. One of the first series I really fell in love with was Animorphs, and in spite of some dated references and the odd ghost-writer, the series still holds up really well (because of its arc and characters). The TV show was awful. I didn't get to see it when it was on (we didn't have cable), but I've seen episodes online. Jesus, it was a pathetic effort. With some money and care, it would make a great TV series. I don't know about a movie/movies: the lengthy arc is kind of the whole point of the story.

Kaiser-Kun
09-01-2012, 12:34 AM
I really miss Whose Line Is It Anyway?. Yesterday I saw excerpts of both Improvaganza and Trust Us With Your Life and... no.

Ryan and Collin look old now... :(

druid12000
09-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I really miss Whose Line Is It Anyway?. Yesterday I saw excerpts of both Improvaganza and Trust Us With Your Life and... no.

Ryan and Collin look old now... :(

I saw Collin and Brad Sherwood in a live performance about five years ago, doing 'Whose Line' stuff. Hilarious!

Both versions of 'Whose Line Is It Anyway' were great, though Drew Carey isn't great at improv and should have stayed behind the desk and let the really funny folk do their thing.

rhymegirl
09-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Lost. I know it ran its course and had its ending but I could have watched that show forever, scratching my head as one question was answered but at the same time created five new ones. Not too many shows that suck me in like that and get me thinking.

Yup. I really miss Lost.

Also miss Judging Amy, Without a Trace and St. Elsewhere.

Brightdreamer
09-03-2012, 02:57 AM
I don't know about a movie/movies (of the Animorphs): the lengthy arc is kind of the whole point of the story.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't try... Like with comic book adaptations, a good team of writers might be able to pick out and condense key events. (And, frankly, some of those middle books were filler, so far as the mytharc went.) Actually, it would be cool if someone like HBO or Showtime picked it up for a miniseries/limited-run series. I don't expect that'll happen, it being a YA title without sex and swearing, even with the violence and eventual death count, but the miniseries treatment would do more justice to the mytharc.

As for the movie angle, it was a very, very popular series, and the re-release (with, apparently, updated references - I've yet to confirm this, but when I've scanned the new versions at the library the storylines seem in-tact) is attracting a new audience. Someone's gotta be looking at that gleaming, golden apple and getting hungry... Hollywood has also shown, with the recent superhero adaptations, that it's possible to take a franchise with a lengthy written history/mytharc and come up with an interesting, audience-pleasing film franchise without rehashing the whole thing; it would be a reboot, but if it's true to the spirit of the original, it could still be great.

Bottom line: whether or not it should be done, I fully expect that, someday, it will be done.

icepower55
09-03-2012, 03:23 AM
I would absolutely love if they brought back Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Joss Whedon is a god, and I'd watch anything he was part of, but I really really really love Buffy. Plus, Spike was a major hottie ;)

Victoria
09-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Moonlight. That was just wrong, dude...actually, I think it was a dudette...

kendallina
09-03-2012, 05:59 AM

Agreed!

Also, Arrested Development and Happy Town.

kendallina
09-03-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm already mourning the forthcoming loss of Breaking Bad and they still have a season left. I won't be ready!

DavidBrett
09-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Not really bothered with Buffy - she saved Sunnydale, and lives happily ever after.

But bring back ANGEL, dammit! After five glorious seasons, we deserve our bloody apocalypse! The prophecy needs to be fulfilled, and either Faith or Spike needs their own show.

I know it only just ended, but... ALCATRAZ. An unfortunate victim to the f#%$wits at Fox Programming, this crime paranormal/sci-fi mystery was brilliant! It deserves an ending, if not more seasons.

Here's one no one's mentioned, making me wonder if I'm its sole fan: THE DEAD ZONE. Man, that is one of my all-time favourite shows.

Also, I think modern day effects, and a structure like '24', could mean a new LOGAN'S RUN would be an awesome show. Thoughts?

Max Vaehling
09-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Not really bothered with Buffy - she saved Sunnydale, and lives happily ever after.

But bring back ANGEL, dammit! After five glorious seasons, we deserve our bloody apocalypse! The prophecy needs to be fulfilled, and either Faith or Spike needs their own show.

They did that, in case you missed it. In comics. Buffy is now officially in Season 9, and while IDW's Angel: After the Fall has inofficially been called Season 5, Whedon wasn't involved with that. He 'executive produces" Season 9, though, and that includes an ongoing Angel & Faith series as well as Spike and Willow mini-serials.

There was talk about a Whedon-free movie remake a while ago, to the dismay of, well, about everybody. But let's face it: If TV or movies pick up a renewed Buffy or Angel, it won't be for the existing Whedon fandom. It'll be for the kids who, by then, just about outgrew Twilight.

HeavilyMedicated
09-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Angel: After the Fall was what the writers had planned for season 6.

DavidBrett
09-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I know there are comic continuations, but I want it back on TV. You'd all be feeling the same if there were dozens of Firefly comic seasons, right? It's just not the same...

Ah, well...

Meerkat
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Based on this thread, I just watched over this weekend all fourteen episodes of Firefly. I cannot wait to see the sequel movie.

How on earth could they cancel this program? It is bet... okay, let me get a grip on something sturdy here... it is better than.... it is better than Star Trek.

There. I said it, and I meant it. Whew!

lastlittlebird
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I know it's nothing like enough, but it is a bit of a laugh whenever they reference Firefly in Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI

I LIKE it.

Max Vaehling
09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
They did a lot of those, actually. I also love the scene where Castle has never heard of that wellness retreat called Serenity.

@Meerkat: I used to describe Firefly to newbies as "like Star Trek... but fun".
Also, minus aliens, obviously.

kuwisdelu
09-04-2012, 09:09 PM
None.

Instead make all shows shorter, so directors and writers I like can move on to new ideas.

And so they're forced to give series proper endings instead of being cancelled.

Not Solomon Brown
09-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I know it's nothing like enough, but it is a bit of a laugh whenever they reference Firefly in Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI

I LIKE it.

I loved that part.

maxmordon
09-05-2012, 01:25 AM
None.

Instead make all shows shorter, so directors and writers I like can move on to new ideas.

And so they're forced to give series proper endings instead of being cancelled.

Yep, US television could actually take a cue on British television on this very topic.

lastlittlebird
09-05-2012, 03:43 AM
I think each show should just be as long as it's supposed to be... admittedly a lot of them (even the good ones) go way past jumping the shark, but when they get it right it works really well.
Six Feet Under went for five seasons and I wouldn't give up any of them. When you get a really great bunch of characters and the story is driven by them rather than by a single unrequited love interest or a big bad that keeps getting bigger and badder without really changing anything, it gives a good writer the freedom to explore topics that short form just can't grasp with both hands.
IMO, of course :)

TorontoGirl
09-05-2012, 04:01 AM
Firefly (I think they did that on purpose, so fans can suffer)
Northern Exposure
Battlestar Galactica (the newer one)
Rome
The Dresden Files
Lucky
Rock Star (way better than American Idol, imho)

maxmordon
09-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Carnivale, seriously, it ended in a cliffhanger! And had only two out of six planned seasons.

On the other hand, shame for them for being just too darn slow-paced.

HeavilyMedicated
09-05-2012, 06:16 PM
New Amsterdam. I liked it, but there were only eight episodes before it was cancelled. :(

Max Vaehling
09-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Let's face it, a lot of my favorite cancelled shows wouldn't have happened (or wouldn't have been nearly as good) if other shows hadn't been cancelled before them.

If, say, Firefly hadn't been cancelled, Tim Minear wouldn't have gone on to write/produce Wonderfalls, The Inside or Terriers. Whedon wouldn't have found the time for Dollhouse, and Adam Baldwin wouldn't have co-starred on Chuck. And, moving on to current shows: no Castle, either. Especially no Castle with lovely browncoaty in-jokes.

katiemac
09-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Since I saw a few people reference it and no one mentioned otherwise, do you guys know that Arrested Development is coming back (http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/381839/20120907/arrested-development-season-4-movie-netflix-filming.htm)?

It's filming now, for a 10-13 season that will debut on Netflix in the spring. The idea is to then launch the movie from the online season.

IAMWRITER
09-07-2012, 11:48 PM
. And, moving on to current shows: no Castle, either. Especially no Castle with lovely browncoaty in-jokes.

*shudders*

When Castle gets cancelled, I will cry.

Plus if Firefly didn't get cancelled, Sheldon on TBBT wouldn't have anything to complain about!

Smiley0501
09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Firefly *sniffs*

I also miss EVERWOOD, which I always think was better than a lot of shows on WB/CW. Sometimes it got a little campy but overall I enjoyed the characters and small town.

One show I wish they would have cancelled sooner is One Tree Hill. Dear god they did not need 9 seasons. Could have ended at season 3 or 4 and been completely fine.

ConnieJ
09-11-2012, 03:16 AM
I loved Joan of Arcadia!!!!!

I miss Dead Like Me, too.

Not Solomon Brown
09-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Outcasts

Only ran for one season then the BBC cut it.

Survivors (a remake of the 1975 series) - another BBC cut.

BloodSpatterAnalyst
09-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Arrested Development

They're continuing the series on Netflix next year :-)

Veronica Mars
Terminator: the Sarah Conner Chronicles
Dollhouse
Flash Foward

Jehhillenberg
09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Loved the characters, incredible dialogue.

American Gothic.

Freaks and Geeks.

Not familiar with American Gothic, but it looks like something I would've enjoyed! Yes, for Freaks and Geeks

Oh man, an Animorphs reboot would be amazing.

Loved Animorphs. I'll accept reruns if they'd show them.

Yes, I wish Angel had more time.

I heard -- at least I think that -- Arrested Development is coming back, or at least the movie is coming to fruition. They're filming something. Great show. Great characters.

Rowell <3
Life As We Know It
Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction
Scariest Places on Earth
Girlfriends
Sit Down, Shut Up (U.S.)
Flight of the Conchords
Lincoln Heights

Smiley0501
09-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Animorphs reboot FTW.

The305itself
09-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Malcolm in the Middle, that's my wanna be childhood right there

kmary0622
10-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Jericho! Great show-watch it on Netflix if you've never seen it!

kmary0622
10-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Based on this thread, I just watched over this weekend all fourteen episodes of Firefly. I cannot wait to see the sequel movie.

How on earth could they cancel this program? It is bet... okay, let me get a grip on something sturdy here... it is better than.... it is better than Star Trek.

There. I said it, and I meant it. Whew!

Another great one! I didn't know they were making a sequel! The characters in that show were great!

Richard Paolinelli
10-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Alcatraz. That show was really getting good then they pulled the plug on it.

eternalised
10-25-2012, 12:23 AM
I had no idea this thread was out here! But okay, here goes.

Buffy, The Vampire Slayer - the comic books are, imo, not that great; I would've preferred to see everything on screen. Same goes for Angel. Bring back my childhood!

Dark Angel - old series, but why the heck did they have to cancel it? My first encounter with Jensen Ackles (thank God he's playing in Supernatural as well) and instantly had a crush on him.

Dollhouse - feel like they ended this just when things got good.

Kyle XY - disliked first episodes, really started to love it at the end. My dream couple never really got together though (meeeh!) although they belonged together. One more season, and it would've happened.

The Secret Circle - all right, it sucked, but the last episode had SO much potential. It was like, they made it suck on purpose all season and then in the end decided hey, let's make things interesting.

LOST - Could've watched this forever. And longer, if I had to.

The Tudors - I know Henry VIII was fun and all, but there are more Tudor kings and queens than Henry VIII, and this series could've covered more eras. Loved it though!

Rome - why only two seasons? Besides money issues, it was an amazing show.

quickWit
10-25-2012, 12:41 AM
AfterMASH, but only so it can immediately be euthanized again.

Bloo
10-26-2012, 08:43 AM
so many shows

SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND
FIREFLY
NEWSRADIO

Those are my top 3

AlexPiper
10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
It was like, they made it suck on purpose all season and then in the end decided hey, let's make things interesting.
This same statement applies to Terra Nova.

And to some extent to Stargate: Universe's second season.

sevenrivers
11-19-2012, 09:27 AM
aaaand yet another vote for Firefly.
I'm ok with the way Buffy the Vampire Slayer ended, and let's be honest, as amazing as it was ("Hush" is a landmark episode, no doubt about it) that show had to end, you can only tell that story for so long.
I'd like to see Space:Above and Beyond, The Wire and Lone Star make a comeback.

angeliz2k
11-19-2012, 06:11 PM
I had no idea this thread was out here! But okay, here goes.

Buffy, The Vampire Slayer - the comic books are, imo, not that great; I would've preferred to see everything on screen. Same goes for Angel. Bring back my childhood!

Dark Angel - old series, but why the heck did they have to cancel it? My first encounter with Jensen Ackles (thank God he's playing in Supernatural as well) and instantly had a crush on him.

Dollhouse - feel like they ended this just when things got good.

Kyle XY - disliked first episodes, really started to love it at the end. My dream couple never really got together though (meeeh!) although they belonged together. One more season, and it would've happened.

The Secret Circle - all right, it sucked, but the last episode had SO much potential. It was like, they made it suck on purpose all season and then in the end decided hey, let's make things interesting.

LOST - Could've watched this forever. And longer, if I had to.

The Tudors - I know Henry VIII was fun and all, but there are more Tudor kings and queens than Henry VIII, and this series could've covered more eras. Loved it though!

Rome - why only two seasons? Besides money issues, it was an amazing show.

Both of these, for sure. I know The Tudors got several (unfortunately bodice-ripper) seasons, but there is way more to mine there. Heck, Henry VII would be interesting--get in there at the end of the Wars of the Roses. And the power struggles around young Edward VI? And of course Mary's bloody reign and Elizabeth long, successful reign? It would be fantastic!

Also, Rome was a great show (a bit gratuitous, to be honest). Obviously, there's tons more material to be mined there, too. Octavian/Augustus's Roman Empire continued to exist for centuries.

TorontoGirl
11-20-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm throwing my hat in there for Firefly as well.
Caprica (I might have been the only one watching it)
Aside from the whole Starbuck/Apollo drama, Battlestar Galactica could have stayed on forever
There was this one show with John Corbett called Lucky. I saw the first few episodes and the next thing I knew it was gone. I thought it had potential.

Melina
11-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Pushing Daisies

Arrested Development

OneTeam OneDream
11-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Entourage....yes, already

toogrey2
11-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Another vote for Firefly and how about Farscape.

TudorRose
11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Survivors (a remake of the 1975 series) - another BBC cut.

YES! This is the first one that I was going to mention. Ended on a cliffhanger, and there was so much more they could have done with it.

Not exactly cut off prematurely, but I'd love more JONATHAN CREEK. They come back with the occasional Christmas special, but I don't think there's going to be one this year :cry: I need another full series. Give me MAWR!

I'd also love a FRASIER reunion to see Niles as a dad, even if it's only a one-off.