PDA

View Full Version : So, someone tried to break into my house last night.

Jess Haines
08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
My roommate was still at work. It was around 11:30PM. I heard the front screen door slam.

I ran out to check it out and lock all the doors. By the time the cops showed up, whoever was messing around was long gone. Creeps me the hell out. We've moved the baseball bat next to the front door, and the rifle just outside of my bedroom. I'm thinking this weekend I am going to dig in my closet to find my machete, too.

Anyone else ever go through this? Before someone suggests it, no, I don't have the funds to get the hell outta Dodge right this minute. Aside from moving, you guys know of any good ways to deter burglars? We have a light over the front door, a light over the back door, and a motion detector light in the car port.

Wondering if there's anything else I might be able to do to secure the house until we move since people have stolen things out of my roommate's car before and it's not the first time someone has tried getting into the house.

Suggestions?

heyjude
08-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh thank God you're okay. What a scary thing!

Can you get an alarm system?

thothguard51
08-24-2012, 11:50 PM
A dog...a really big and mean dog...

Jess Haines
08-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Don't want to spend the money on an alarm system when we're going to be moving out (fingers crossed) before the end of the year.

As for a dog, we'll probably get one when we move. I live in the Los Angeles area--the house is tiny with no yard. It would be cruel to lock a dog up inside all day, especially with the killer heat we've had this summer.

Firewall is coming up at the office in a few minutes so I won't be able to reply to the thread again until I get home, but I am okay--no need to worry about me. :) Just looking for more things I can do (other than buy more guns, bats, swords, and other weaponry) until I move. Something along the lines of additional lights outside the house, but I'm not sure what. Fake security camera, maybe? Can't think of anything else off the top of my head that might be an effective, short-term solution.

Jamiekswriter
08-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Maybe just a sticker that says "This house is guarded by ADT security" or something like that. Or "Smile, you're on candid camera"?

backslashbaby
08-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Oh, I wish you could get a big dog :( . An older one may be fine with a sedate lifestyle, so maybe think of a rescue.

My big dog bit my intruder who limped away while my neighbor watched, on the phone with 911 the whole time. Now I'm the only house around here who has no problems with folks stealing stuff from their sheds, etc.

I was in the shower! I had no clue my neighbor was calling 911 about someone trying to get into my house.

Fake security cameras can be had really cheap, and they even have lights and move and stuff. I have a couple of those now.

Sometimes it's just a fluke, btw. My brother went into a dark room in his Baltimore apartment and saw a man halfway in his window, with the air conditioning on the floor! It never amounted to anything else, thank God.

It certainly feels awful to know someone was trying to violate your space (or more), so you have my empathy, for sure.

shadowwalker
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
A "Beware of Dog" sign is often as good a deterrent as an actual dog (and reduces the risk of the dog being poisoned or shot). Motion detector lights on any dark areas.

The thing I've heard from police/security people is to remember that most burglars are looking for easy access, so anything you do to make it troublesome is going to reduce risk - lighting for one thing, thorny bushes under windows (but no so high as to obscure the view from the street - burglars don't like being in plain view). Stay away from routine as much as possible - like going to the movie every Friday night at 8. Don't leave lights on in the house when you're gone - put them on a timer to simulate normal living.

But remember if a burglar is determined to break in, they will. Don't count on weapons - keep your cell phone close at hand and charged, so you can call the police immediately. Don't confront the burglar - they may panic and you can't be sure you'll be able to defend yourself (how do you know how big they are or what weapons they have?). Hide. And have insurance.

WildScribe
08-25-2012, 12:26 AM
When we lived in an apartment, we came home once to fresh crowbar marks on the door. I'm confused as to why OUR place, since we're second story and sort of deep in a decent sized complex. They didn't get in, but I was forever after a little nervous living there.

Now we live next to an empty orchard/field that vagrants sometimes treat as a camp ground. We've had our cars riffled through a couple times, and it REALLY pisses me off, but there's not much we can think to do about it except keep our cars empty.

Mclesh
08-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Our house was burglarized once with a few items taken. It's a terrible feeling, very vulnerable.

The lights are a good idea. Maybe leave the television on when you're away?

I know you don't want to get a dog until you move, but just to agree with the others, dogs are great deterrants. The little yappy ones may even be as effective. I think the burglar will go on to the next house without all of the barking.

The security signs/stickers also sound like a good idea.

Sorry this happened to you. It sucks.

Jess Haines
08-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Thanks for pitching in the ideas and thoughts, guys.

WS, that's awful. :( Sorry to hear that happened to you!

Yeah, I definitely want to get a dog once I move. No more taking chances. It's not like I have much other than a very large collection of novels, comic books and swords, plus my pets, but it's still my stuff. The thought of someone I don't know trying to take it makes me HULK SMASH angry.

If I had the funds, I'd move back to the East coast now, but right before my trip to New Orleans I dropped most of my free cash on a new car. Old one was falling apart and would have cost more to fix than replace. Puts me in a spot, but I'll get outta this town eventually... :P

thothguard51
08-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Fake security camera's have led to various lawsuits...

A while back, I read where a woman was being chased by several men. She saw a house with a security camera and she ran to the house. She stood there waving her arms and screaming at the camera. While the men beat her and then raped her, she said her one thought was at least her attackers images would be captured for the police.

Wrong. The camera was fake and nobody was home. She sued the owners of the house and won because the judge said the fake camera gave the woman a sense of security and had the camera not been there, she more than likely would have kept running and may have outrun her attackers.

Most of the businesses I work for will not use fake security systems because the insurance companies won't give them any reduced rates for fake security systems. There is also the legal issues like above...

Grottollica
08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
There are also motion-detecting speakers, which could play a sound when someone moves.

So, if you're gone, and you turn on the speakers, when they detect motion, you could have it play a barking dog or something.

It's worked before for me.

Jess Haines
08-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Fake security camera's have led to various lawsuits...

A while back, I read where a woman was being chased by several men. She saw a house with a security camera and she ran to the house. She stood there waving her arms and screaming at the camera. While the men beat her and then raped her, she said her one thought was at least her attackers images would be captured for the police.

Wrong. The camera was fake and nobody was home. She sued the owners of the house and won because the judge said the fake camera gave the woman a sense of security and had the camera not been there, she more than likely would have kept running and may have outrun her attackers.

Most of the businesses I work for will not use fake security systems because the insurance companies won't give them any reduced rates for fake security systems. There is also the legal issues like above...

:Jaw:

That... that's just... Good LORD. Every kind of shade of WTF.

I feel awful for the woman, but... oh, ugh. Nightmares forever.

Grotto, that's not a bad idea. I might give that a shot, thanks!

Goldenleaves
08-27-2012, 11:56 PM
I suppose 'accidentally' wiring the window and door screens to the mains is out of the question? Sigh.

shadowwalker
08-28-2012, 12:30 AM
I suppose 'accidentally' wiring the window and door screens to the mains is out of the question? Sigh.

Oh yeah. Booby-traps can get you into the worst kind of hot water, legally.

benbradley
08-28-2012, 01:57 AM
My roommate was still at work. It was around 11:30PM. I heard the front screen door slam.

I ran out to check it out and lock all the doors. By the time the cops showed up, whoever was messing around was long gone. Creeps me the hell out. We've moved the baseball bat next to the front door, and the rifle just outside of my bedroom.

Suggestions?
A sign, like a real estate for-sale or political sign in the front lawn, saying "Resident is a Proud Gun Owner"

Or maybe a sign on each door saying that would be enough.

patskywriter
08-28-2012, 04:00 AM
[QUOTE=benbradley;7553271]A sign, like a real estate for-sale or political sign in the front lawn, saying "Resident is a Proud Gun Owner" …

Guess what the number one item is that's stolen out of people's homes … Right. Guns. I believe in securing doors and windows and letting everyone know that they're gonna really have to work to get in. Look into getting affordable things like a reinforced striker plate, double-cylinder deadbolt lock (which you can take with you when you leave), and then replace the door-jamb screws with 4-inch ones that go through the jamb and into the frame. Also, consider driving screws into the window frames so they don't open more than 5 or 6 inches. Removable window bars are good, too. I got a couple online from The Home Depot.

BeatrixKiddo
08-28-2012, 05:37 AM
If you can't get a dog yet, there are studies that suggest extra lighting outside does help to a certain degree. Maybe add some extra locks to the doors if possible as well?

Home invasions are on the rise, everywhere. The drug trade and more gang activity moving into the suburbs doesn't help either.

I think you can buy some kind of fake dog barking device that gets triggered by motion. You hang it on the inside door knob or something...and if the handle moves, it triggers the sound.