PDA

View Full Version : Here Comes Honey Boo Boo...

Lavern08
08-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Have you guys seen this on TLC?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :flag:

Jessianodel
08-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Cry. Cry really, really hard.

There was nothing on TV one night except that show, but I couldn't watch more than five minutes!

regdog
08-24-2012, 07:18 PM
I refuse to watch it.

Jamiekswriter
08-24-2012, 07:20 PM
It was train wreck TV. I couldn't stop watching it. The bobbing for pig's feet was cracktastic.

DarthPanda
08-24-2012, 08:02 PM
It's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. Toddlers and Tiaras absolutely breaks my heart, but the family in HCHBB is really quite loving and supportive of each other. NOTHING like T&T.

They're a bit crass at times, sure, but the Fart Joke is nothing new to TV. This is a pretty normal family. I grew up in an area almost exactly like this in the Deep South, around very similar people. Just because a family is poor and gleefully-flatulent doesn't mean that the parents are unfit or they're all bad people. Other than the "sassy black woman" finger snap, and the caffeinated "gogo juice", I haven't seen anything truly cringe-worthy from them yet.

The show is obviously packaged to shock mainstream middle class Amercia by showing things like (gasp!) fat loud poor Southern people eating roadkill (very common for freshly-hit deer to be given to needy families in this area, for the record). But the comments I keep seeing about them make me a wee bit twitchy. "Horrible obnoxious fat white-trash!" and "These people make me ashamed to be Southern! " etc... it just smacks of classism. Anybody who watched the first few episodes can tell you, the whole family is happy, loving, and well-adjusted. I'd much rather have them as my neighbors than, say, the Kardashians. :D

This is a really great blog post about it, and I'd encourage anybody who hasn't watched the show to at least read this before judging the family too harshly:

http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-08-10/the-soapbox-in-defense-of-here-comes-honey-boo-boo/

Kitty Pryde
08-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Oh, the show with the gay pig! http://lgbtlaughs.tumblr.com/post/29691917439/straighttohelvetica-meet-the-6-year-old-who I mostly can't handle reality tv, but it doesn't seem any more degenerate than any Kardashians, mob wives, dance moms, chefs with rage disorders, spoiled useless quasi celebrity heifers, or anyone else tv parades out for our amusement.

EarlyBird
08-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I caught five minutes of that show and was horrified. I live in the south and cringe whenever southerners are portrayed like that. It just feeds into the stereotype.

How did these people ever get on TV?????

Shadow Dragon
08-24-2012, 09:40 PM
I caught five minutes of that show and was horrified. I live in the south and cringe whenever southerners are portrayed like that. It just feeds into the stereotype.

How did these people ever get on TV?????
Honey Boo Boo Child, I don't even know her real name, was a part of the show Tiaras and Toddlers. It focused on child beauty pageants. Trust me, among the potential candidates, she was one of the less annoying children and families from the original T&T show to get a spin off. It could have been this girl, who's parents are just idiots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3wXyyE4_m0&feature=related

CrastersBabies
08-25-2012, 04:27 AM
I can't watch it. I remember back in the 90s, I had friends from other countries tell me that they "know what America is like, they watch Jerry Springer."

So, I can only imagine what the world thinks when they see this.

amblack
08-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Have you guys seen this on TLC?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :flag:

It makes me feel better about myself, which is why I watch it.

I do find Alana endearing, if not for her extremely high self-esteem, but for her quotes like referring her gay uncle as "having too much fruit in his tank".

J.S.F.
08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Just shows the intellectual bankruptcy of the networks, appealing to the lowest of the low. I saw the trailer, spit up on my keyboard, wiped it off, and went back to writing.

fireluxlou
08-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Just shows the intellectual bankruptcy of the networks, appealing to the lowest of the low. I saw the trailer, spit up on my keyboard, wiped it off, and went back to writing.

The show isn't actually that bad and the family is quie lovely really and Alana is just adorable. I don't get people hating on a little girl who says little girl things most of the time. I love how you can tell how much Sugar Bear loves his wife and family, they are quite well adjusted and nice family. I was really surprised considering all the classist comments like this one being directed at it. Alana has so much confidence I wish I had at that age.

Ugh I hate this kind of snobbery directed to the working class. 'Lowest of the low' ffs. Yes we exist too. We have lives.

J.S.F.
08-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Ugh I hate this kind of snobbery directed to the working class. 'Lowest of the low' ffs. Yes we exist too. We have lives.
--

Perhaps I should have made myself a bit clearer. I was not directing my mini-tirade at 'po' white trash' or Southerners. I was directing it at the network execs who dream up this kind of trash. I could care less if one comes from the south, has money or not. (If it makes you feel any better, I happen to be one of the working class, too).

Shows like this to me are pure garbage.

fireluxlou
08-26-2012, 12:58 PM
--

Perhaps I should have made myself a bit clearer. I was not directing my mini-tirade at 'po' white trash' or Southerners. I was directing it at the network execs who dream up this kind of trash. I could care less if one comes from the south, has money or not. (If it makes you feel any better, I happen to be one of the working class, too).

Shows like this to me are pure garbage.

Well good for you?

Lavern08
08-27-2012, 01:07 AM
I'm sorry this thread has become offensive - That was certainly not my intent.

I think the little girl (Alana) is adorable - full of confidence and spunk...

... and while her family is lacking in some social graces, they seem to love her and each other unconditionally.

What's the difference between her family and the Kardashians "cashing in" on a reality series? :Shrug:

Kitty Pryde
08-27-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm sorry this thread has become offensive - That was certainly not my intent.

I think the little girl (Alana) is adorable - full of confidence and spunk...

... and while her family is lacking in some social graces, they seem to love her and each other unconditionally.

What's the difference between her family and the Kardashians "cashing in" on a reality series? :Shrug:

That her family can use the money on things they need, and not on building a new wing onto their giant swimming pool full of money?