Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotic!fantastic!

o dulcinea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsinstitute.webs.com
This might be in the wrong place. I admit I haven't combed the forums for this post's best possible location.

That said, in litfic is absolutely where I feel most comfortable.

I am feeling frustrated.

I work a high-stress job that consumes most of my time, creativity and emotional energy. I've been writing long enough that I don't feel threatened by the notion of moving away from writing, but almost all of my time is devoted to either maintaining relationships or treading water at work. Don't get me wrong - I love everything that's happening - but I'm getting off-topic.

As a litfic author, I miss my characters over almost every other part of writing. Lately I keep getting into these half-daydreams about characters. I call them "half-daydreams" because they are not productive or satisfying, just flashes of moments and characters I miss.

It's starting to drive me a little bit crazy.

I need advice/suggestions on how to feel a little closer to my writing (and characters) on a limited time budget. I'm willing to try anything from writing-yoga (but you'll have to tell me what it is....) to haikus, but I feel like I can't be the only person to run into this problem. Plenty of people are busy, plenty are over-capacity, and I think I'm just too stressed to see where the outlets should be.

Thoughts? Ideas??? Commiseration?

Let me know!!!

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, this may sound odd, but have you tried hypnosis for boosting creative energy/focus/relaxation? I love Raise Your Energy by Glenn Harrold. As far as staying connected to your characters and your writing during stressful times, try just writing 500 words each day. It sounds so little, but 30 days later, you've got a novel (or at least good sized pile of pages to work from when you have more time).

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I understand the feeling of missing characters. But when it has happened to me it has been after the story is finished. It feels kind of foolish, but I know what you mean. As for finding time to write, you really have to make a commitment. There are always reasons why you can't do it. You have to decide how important writing is to you. If it is important, you find the time just like with anything else. I think once you get in a routine it is easier to stay in a routine. Good luck to you.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
quixotic!fantastic!, may I offer a suggestion? Visit The Breakroom, Conquering Challenges. The password is Serenity. Apropos, maybe, huh?

I am hereby and forthwith sending good thoughts your way. :)

kkbe

EddyJ

One day at a time, eh?
Registered
Reaction score
I can only tell you what works for me, and that may not be the answer for you. But, for me, it is routine. I happen to be a "morning person" so I need to write early. However, I found that I can't write before heading off to work because if I'm in the middle of something the frustration to break away is too great. Therefore, I set aside Saturday and Sunday mornings, from the time I get up (early, around 6 am usually) until around noon (when I'm spent). I organize my life around that. I have no idea of your time commitments, or when your writing energy is highest, but all I can offer is this: try and organize to a routine for your writing. That is your writing time, and work everything else around it.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Balancing one's life with needs vs wants is always tricky...

John Grisham says he would arrive at work early and write for an hour each morning. The rest of the day was devoted to his job and the evenings to his family, friends, and other social events. He did this for ten years or so and it seems not to have hurt him.

The thing is, we MAKE the time for what we consider important to our lives; family, friends, career. If writing is something you feel you cannot live without, you will Make the time.

I know this does not help in explaining how to Find the time, but everyone is different. What works for me, may not work for you. So, the only advice I can offer is to MAKE the time for what is important in your life. Set a schedule that works for YOU. Once you get into this routine, you will find you had more time than you thought...

Goldenleaves

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Make the time. Set a schedule that works for YOU. Once you get into this routine, you will find you had more time than you thought...

This. Sometimes you have to be assertive to make it work, but there is such a thing as positive assertion (it took me years to learn that) and practising it improves all areas of your life.

Keeping a notebook and pencil in the loo also helps.

Hamilton

Registered
Reaction score
How much time can you spare per day/per week? Is it only 20 minutes? Then write for 20 minutes a day.

Don't feel like you absolutely need a significant block of time to be productive. A little bit each day will go far.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
I work on my writing in my head when I can't get to pen/paper or computer. I think about plot holes and things in the car, during a break at work, or whenever I have a moment. I think about it when I'm in bed and before I go to sleep. That way, when an hour presents itself, I have an idea about what I want to write because I've been missing my story and characters. Doing this also seems to get me focused on exactly what I want to write and where to go with it, since it's been brewing in my head.

But everyone is different. Segments of time available are different, too.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Almost everyone beat me to my point.

Reserve a time to write. Make down 30 minutes a day, to only write.

I know, stressful job, tired and such. But what are you going to anyway? Sit on the couch and watch TV?

Unless you're working 18 hour days, for the rest of your life; I think you have some spare time on hand.

I'm not saying scrap everything, but find the things you do, that maybe you don't necessarily hate/love and replace their time with writing.

Many writers and myself feel that writing is a escape. We hang out with our characters, in our own worlds, doing what we wish.

It might sound like work, but it calms us down, or takes a load off, or displaces the problems in our life. We take off our monkey suits, hang them up and feel like humans for once.

Take 30-60 minutes, in a chair, (maybe) music in ear and a word processor open. No internet, no cell phone.
If you can't write, sit there until you can, or until time is up.
Use the time to write, or think up characters. Make it your personal time.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
*gets off the internet to open the word processor, again*

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, hello. Though everybody beat me to it :D I'd like to put my two cents.

I work as a biomedical engineer, my workdays usually are 14 hours long. I travel on average 30 times a year (30 take-offs and, hopefully, landings, that is), and this is the year in which I have written the most. Inspiration doesn't come often. Discipline does. You have to make time for writing, if not, no one else is going to do it for you. I can see that you have the determination and I have practice several exercises. I'd like to share them with you:

1) Do not write in a computer. Too many distractions. On a personal note, I write on a 1954 Olympia Typewriter (hipster, I know), but if you don't like the whole cling cling, clang, use a notebook.

2) Before you start writing: SLOW DOWN. Take a break. Breathe. Relax. Writing must be done within all your senses.

3) Write, then critique. If you feel your writing isn't good enough, screw it! Just keep writing!

This has worked for me. Hope it works for you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.