The Kardashians - rant warning

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If you enjoy this "reality" program, exit the thread now. You won't like what follows. You have been warned.

I got trapped tonight into watching most of an episode of this show.

JesusChristMaryandJosephandallGod'sangelsfrombeyondthebeginning of time.

Worst TV program I've ever seen. As in ever, eternity. A pack of talent-deprived narcissists, who aren't even all that pretty, behaving with the maturity of kindergartners, whose only claim to fame is having a shitload of money, more than they know what to do with. Not one single likeable character in the lot.

Why does anybody watch this crap?

caw

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I guess you've never watched Jersey Shore. It's worse. Trust me.

Very easy to not watch, though. I simply have no interest. Teen Mom? Well, if it's on, I'll watch it. But it's pretty bad, too.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It's a reflection of the current generation that such a show remains on the air. In a wiser era, "My Mother The Car" didn't last.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
It's a reflection of the current generation that such a show remains on the air. In a wiser era, "My Mother The Car" didn't last.

Hey, hey, your generation made it possible for this kind of shit to exist. And you guys were responsible for that abomination known as Adam West's Batman.

But channels like MTV are why I don't have cable. They never play music. Everything good is on Netflix (like Breaking Bad).

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
OMG how could you hate on The Kardashians! They are SOOO REAL. I feel for them, with everything they do. You don't understand because you don't understand them.

/enough Will!

It's very interesting to see them on the morning talk shows though. Count how many times they reference themselves in the first person. Last time, I caught one at 103 within a ten minute segment.
But... you might try to kill yourself after listening to them... be warned.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
A pack of talent-deprived narcissists, who aren't even all that pretty, behaving with the maturity of kindergartners, whose only claim to fame is having a shitload of money, more than they know what to do with.
*snort* I see you are unfamiliar with the entirety of the Kardashian ouevre. Their foundational claim to fame is the sex tape "Kim Kardashian Superstar," which shows the Kardashian woman receiving the attentions of Ray J, a rapper whose main claim to fame is being the singer Brandi's brother. Apparently her rear end was considered, at the time, amazingly large and shapely, and with the enthusiastic assistance of her mother, her career as a celebrity was launched. But it took the involvement of the hardworking and creative Ryan Seacrest (producer of the show) to boost the whole family onto the Hollywood A-list.

And I know this because one of my co-workers is actually writing a sociology dissertation on fame in America, and how the concept has altered in the last fifty years.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I guess you've never watched Jersey Shore.

You are correct. Nor will I.

Very easy to not watch, though.

Like I said, I got trapped (relatives). Wasn't my choice, I assure you.

As for Adam West's Batman, that was just campy, fluffy light satirical comedy, with no pretense to anything else, and in some ways remains a nice counterpoint to the dark, somber and sometimes pretentious Batman movies of recent years. My favorite of the latter being the one where Jack Nicholson played The Joker, not the one where Heath Ledger did. But that's probably just me.

caw

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what I find more pathetic, the show and participants themselves, or the fact that people watch this stuff (and buy magazines) in droves. Droves.

I have a daughter. The idea of her idolizing these people makes me physically ill.

I can't even say that it's the whole "car wreck" thing. It's beyond that. It's an affront to all intelligence on this planet.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Oh, that's who they are. I kept seeing this poster at my local bus stop and wondering, 'Who are these people and why should I care?' Now I know I don't have to.
Ketzel, your co-worker's dissertation sounds fascinating
- I've often wondered how 'fame' went from meaning 'the result of doing or being something exceptional' to 'the result of somehow grabbing people's attention despite an utter lack of talent, worth, or even an interesting level of difference from the norm'.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite of the latter being the one where Jack Nicholson played The Joker, not the one where Heath Ledger did. But that's probably just me.

caw

No, it's not just you.

These Kardashians make Peggy Bundy seem as classy as Grace Kelly.

taichiquan.panda

not the popular one and ok with it
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the money came from papa K. He was one of OJ Simpson's defense attorneys. And then came the sex tape.

I don't watch it, Jersey Shore, or any of that crap. And we can all thank Jerry Springer for opening the door to talentless, tasteless drivel. :Ssh:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And you guys were responsible for that abomination known as Adam West's Batman.

As for Adam West's Batman, that was just campy, fluffy light satirical comedy, with no pretense to anything else, and in some ways remains a nice counterpoint to the dark, somber and sometimes pretentious Batman movies of recent years. My favorite of the latter being the one where Jack Nicholson played The Joker, not the one where Heath Ledger did. But that's probably just me.
And Batman remains on the air, somewhere, in reruns to this day (I think it's on the Hub). Yeah, it's regarded with some scorn and derision but it's considered classic TV and people look back on it with a certain degree of fondness; hell, I bought the DVD of the theatrical film sight unseen because...well...dude...it's Batman.

Batgirl's theme

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
That show is still on?
:gaah
How can anyone watch that dreck?
The only way I can watch any of that is when they have clips and the like on the Soup.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
What makes me sad is that I know who the Kardashians are.

There's a little portion of my brain that could be filled with something useful, but no, it's dedicated to an image of Kim Kardashian pouting at a paparazzi camera. I also have a vague understanding of Jersey Shore. It makes me sad because I didn't seek this stuff out - my TV hasn't worked for years. I don't even know anyone who watches any of it. It all just seems to creep in under the radar whether you want to know about it or not. There is no escape.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
And we can all thank Jerry Springer for opening the door to talentless, tasteless drivel. :Ssh:
But Jerry Springer was hilarious at times. The Kardashians just look boring, though I've never actually watched the show.

I'd rather rant about the weird reality shows that have eclipsed all other programming on the History and Discovery channels. Seriously, what do a bunch of truckers have to do with history?!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I was looking at the TV listings a few weeks back and this was mentioned. I honestly had (and still have) no idea who these people are or why they're famous. Have they done something important or are we talking Jordan/Katie Price level of celebrity?

And for an antidote to this sort of shit, may I recommend a film called God Bless America? If you're anything like me, you'll love it.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
And for an antidote to this sort of shit, may I recommend a film called God Bless America? If you're anything like me, you'll love it.
That looks amazing. Seriously, it looks "I must go watch it now even though it's past bedtime" amazing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Kardashians are the human version of Circus Peanuts, they really don't serve a purpose but lots of people love them.

Kim Kardashian has over 15 million followers on Twitter.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
And you guys were responsible for that abomination known as Adam West's Batman.

Adam West's Batman is a thousand times better than anything the Kardashians have come close to. Hell, even the paper-thin sets which constituted the Dark Shadows soap opera was so, so much more engaging than the brain-dead vacuum of talent which most reality shows exist in. I'll freely admit that I have a love of the cheesy, cheap programming which was part of the fabric of television (go back and watch The Addams Family, and see if you can spot all the flubs, the poor special effects, and the woeful acting of some extras) but at least they tried.

Count how many times they reference themselves in the first person.

IIRC, that is one of the classic signs of dealing with a psychopath. If they only began listening to the voices in their head, the show might actually be worth watching - "Say how do you get bloodstains out of the rug?" :roll: It would make a change from the usual stuff I sit through.

These Kardashians make Peggy Bundy seem as classy as Grace Kelly.

This. :)

Kim Kardashian has over 15 million followers on Twitter.

If anyone needs a damning indictment of the education system, then that is it. Damn... I had no idea how pervasive the stupidity was. I feel - well, a little sadder with that knowledge.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I once met with a producer of reality TV, and she said that the popularity of the Kardashians is due to the format, which is very much like a traditional sitcom. I saw it once, and I suppose that is true. I don't like it, but I don't like most sitcoms, either.

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand the Kardashians. Especially that Kourtney Kardashian, the way she talks to her mother is just ugh and then the other two younger sisters act like they hate hanging with their father and I think Rob has a crush on Lamar....just the entire family is like a white version of the Jacksons, lol

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
....just the entire family is like a white version of the Jacksons, lol

Minus any vestige of talent. Especially if you are putting Kim in the role of Michael.