Information about... (instructional videos)

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a link to an anesthesiologist's presentation on bullet wounds and the effects of handgun and rifle bullets on the human body.

The video is a tape of a presentation he did at a medical conference. It does include some graphic pictures of bullet wounds in his slides. Be warned.

This is worth a look for anyone who wants a more realistic look at the effects of gunshot wounds to the human body. It is a clinical presentation, not sensationalized, and as far as I can tell, his info is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tku8YI68-JA

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting.
Much of it is what I knew, but the details are excellent.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Another video for a shootout happened today in New York City. See NYPD release shooting surveillance video

You'll notice the two police officers start in a very bad position, with the second officer's field of fire blocked by the first. Result is that he moves to his left before shooting. Second is the killer appears to receive several bullets before collapsing, bearing out what was stated in the other video. Third is the fact that behind the killer is a major traffic artery, with lots of cars in it and a sidewalk that is heavily traveled. Although ideally you don't want to shoot with innocents in the background, sometimes you don't have any choice. (It appears like many of the injured were caused by police bullets, although not direct hits.)

Fourth is notice how training makes a difference. The officer to the right, as soon as the killer goes to the ground and the threat is neutralized, is on his radio. It will be interesting to see what he's radioing for, but my guess is an ambulance. Think most of us would have the presence of mind to do that so quickly?

Last, but not least, is the possible thought patterns of the killer. He's walking from the scene, confronted by two police officers. The police call out, he turns, decides on a response and pulls his gun. Although he aims, I'm not sure he shoots. Now it could have been he got hung up on the safety switch or he could have been doing suicide by cop. It could be something else. But there's a distinct pause before the killer is shot by the police officer. (This isn't to fault the police officers on their decision to fire. This is clearly a kill or be killed situation.)

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
Police slideshow about improvised and hidden weapons

This is a police training slideshow about improvised and hidden weapons. There are also some legal weapons and concealment techniques discussed as well.

I found a couple factual errors, and the whole thing has a healthy dose of police paranioa throughout, but it's still an interesting resource for anyone writing about crime, criminals, or cops.

Btw, I've seen this at several places around the web, so don't worry about this breaking any confidences.

http://info.publicintelligence.net/LA-DisguisedWeapons.pdf

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Trebor, these are interesting, but not really what the forum is for. I'm merging your threads. If you have any other videos to share without asking a question, post them in the same thread please.

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
Trebor, these are interesting, but not really what the forum is for. I'm merging your threads. If you have any other videos to share without asking a question, post them in the same thread please.

Will do. I couldn't figure out a more appropriate place for these, although I supposed I could have put them in the big "firearms" thread. That might have been a better choice.