PDA

View Full Version : Novels by Outline?

ScottAJohnson
01-13-2006, 08:43 PM
My wife is looking for information regarding publishers who send outlines to the authors detailing what they want...I'm not exactly certain what she's talking about, but apparantly, there're a few publishers (in romance and young adult fiction) that do this sort of thing...

Anyone have any information? I'm a horror writer, and am terribly out of my element here...

Thanks

Carlene
01-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi Scott,

I think what your wife is talking about is guidelines, not outlines. I've never heard of a publisher sending out outlines. It sounds like she is a romance writer, so tell her to go to www.eharlequin.com (http://www.eharlequin.com). They have guidelines for ALL their lines and they're pretty specific. Of course the best way to target a line is to get lots of their books and read them.

Hope this helps,

Carlene
www.crdater.com (http://www.crdater.com)

clara bow
01-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Karen Fox has compiled TONS of links regarding all things romance. Here's a page of her Web site to start with:

http://www.karenafox.com/links.htmI had some trouble copying and pasting. If that link is screwy here it is again

www.karenafox.com/links.htm (http://www.karenafox.com/links.htm)

Cathy C
01-14-2006, 12:35 AM
From a post on another thread here (I forwarded him here), it sounds like Scott's wife is targeting H/S YA lines. Susan, annie -- do you have any idea who to approach for the YA lines? Does Harlequin HAVE YA lines anymore? I know that Dorchester stopped the Smooch line and I thought that was the last one around.

Any thoughts, ladies?

L.Jones
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
I have no clue about YA lines. The Karen Fox links are always a great place to start. If she wants Guidelines, well, google is your friend, seek and ye shall find. And RWA. If she is beginning she should look into RWA, even a year of belonging can get her feet on the right path to being published, IMHO. And the YA subchapter should have loads of direction and answers.

I also wonder, though, if she wants to target a work for hire series type deal, where you are given a bible and sometimes a very basic storyline to produce a work with characters and all copyrights owned by the publisher. Nancy Drew is the most obvious example. Maybe some of the other masses of YA series books work this way too.

I am doing this for the first time ever, it's weird but I'm learning a lot. And it came through my agent. Couldn't have gotten it any other way.

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (Available everywhere now)

Susan Gable
01-14-2006, 06:46 PM
From a post on another thread here (I forwarded him here), it sounds like Scott's wife is targeting H/S YA lines. Susan, annie -- do you have any idea who to approach for the YA lines? Does Harlequin HAVE YA lines anymore? I know that Dorchester stopped the Smooch line and I thought that was the last one around.

Any thoughts, ladies?

Harlequin doesn't have any young adult lines, and the SIlhouette Romance line, which was a "sweet' line (no sex) and one of the lines we often recommended to younger readers to get them started on H/S romances, will soon be no more.

Smooch is gone. I think there might still be one YA line out there, but for the life of me, I can't remember who publishes it.

Susan G.

L.Jones
01-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Harlequin doesn't have any young adult lines, and the SIlhouette Romance line, which was a "sweet' line (no sex) and one of the lines we often recommended to younger readers to get them started on H/S romances, will soon be no more.
Susan G.

Yes SR is gone but the old SR writer in moi (wrote as Natalie Patrick, still get checks from those suckers, btw) wants to point out that they DID indeed have sex in them. No umarried sex but even those limits were pushed often in the last 3-4 years. I never got fan mail from a young reader just 'starting' out. Got men and older women mostly. My experience was that young readers read what their mothers read and start with those, even if they are Blazes - whoo-hoo :)

To bring that point back to the request for Guidelines or Outlines -- this shows that any writer targeting any genre or series really needs to learn about the expectations before submiting. Just having a publisher in mind won't do, there will be differences in what they want for one imprint over another.

Avon had a YA program for a while, but not sure they still do.?

annie
aka Natalie Patrick,
aka Annie Flannigan
aka Annie Jones
aka Luanne Jones -- Heathen Girls (Mira) out now

Susan Gable
01-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Yes SR is gone but the old SR writer in moi (wrote as Natalie Patrick, still get checks from those suckers, btw) wants to point out that they DID indeed have sex in them. No umarried sex but even those limits were pushed often in the last 3-4 years. I never got fan mail from a young reader just 'starting' out. Got men and older women mostly. My experience was that young readers read what their mothers read and start with those, even if they are Blazes - whoo-hoo :)

Well, my friend Holly Jacobs wrote a good number of SR, and she always pointed parents towards those because hers (and those are recent - she made her first sale to them in 2000) never had any sex in them. That was the point of the "sweet" lines, I thought?

Anyway, I do know what you're saying about the "hot stuff" and young folks. One friend who writes for Brava was sort of upset the first time she got a fan letter from a 15-year-old boy who said he'd been reading her book with his girlfriend. <G>

YA romance is really geared more toward the tweens.

Heck, when I was in 7th grade, I was carrying John Jake's The Basta*d with me to school and reading it. I read what my parents were reading, and they'd just finished it. Great book - great series, actually. <G>

Some of the YA stuff (not YA romance - just "plain" YA books) is really incredible stuff - books like Lois Lowrey's (sp?) The Giver. What a mind-blowing book. S.E. Hinton's stuff is terrific, too.

I guess I just love good books of all sorts. :)

Susan G.

L.Jones
01-15-2006, 01:24 AM
That was the point of the "sweet" lines, I thought?

The whole "sweet" and no sex thing weren't the same. It created probs at Rita time every year. Most SR writers I know (and I know a lot of 'em even Holly from online - publishing really is a small world) use the term traditional - but since the books have gone the way of the dinosaurs it hardly matters now!

Some of the YA stuff (not YA romance - just "plain" YA books) is really incredible stuff

But have you read the new crop of YA girl's novels? YIKES! The "growing up listening to the Women's Libber's press the cause" woman in me just cringes and the mom in me wants to scream every time I see a girl pick those up. The Gossip Girls, The Au Paires, The Clique - they paint such an awful picture of being a girl, of being a person. My agent approached me about doing YA along these lines so I checked them out and decided I'd couldn't do it.

Hmmm - is this off topic?

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (Mira)

Sonarbabe
01-15-2006, 02:33 AM
S.E. Hinton's stuff is terrific, too.

Amen! I had to read The Outsiders in the 7th grade and it was one of the very few books that I had to read that I absolutely loved. After I was finished--and my teacher forced me to give it back--I went out and bought that one, along with all of her other YA books. I loved every one of them.

You know, I started out my writing passion with YA books, but they were a cross breed. Sort of like crossing Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys with Francine Pascal's Sweet Valley High. From my jaunts to the bookstore, I've come to the disheartening conclusion that there's no home for my series. *sniffles*

I need a hug.

Susan Gable
01-15-2006, 06:47 PM
The whole "sweet" and no sex thing weren't the same. It created probs at Rita time every year. Most SR writers I know (and I know a lot of 'em even Holly from online - publishing really is a small world) use the term traditional - but since the books have gone the way of the dinosaurs it hardly matters now!

LOL - Very true.

But have you read the new crop of YA girl's novels? YIKES! The "growing up listening to the Women's Libber's press the cause" woman in me just cringes and the mom in me wants to scream every time I see a girl pick those up. The Gossip Girls, The Au Paires, The Clique - they paint such an awful picture of being a girl, of being a person. My agent approached me about doing YA along these lines so I checked them out and decided I'd couldn't do it.

Hmmm - is this off topic?

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (Mira)

Annie, if a thread here goes a little off-track, we don't get too upset. There are only a couple of threads that, because of their nature, have to be kept strictly on-topic. <G> The NeverEnding PA thread would be the prime one, I guess. <G>

I haven't read very many of the newer YA "chick litty" types of books. Read Katie MacCallister's (sp?) The Year My Life Went Down the Loo, and I just loved that one. I think that was one of the first Smooches. I thought that one painted a very realistic, and funny, view of being a teenage girl.

Susan G.

Susan Gable
01-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Amen! I had to read The Outsiders in the 7th grade and it was one of the very few books that I had to read that I absolutely loved. After I was finished--and my teacher forced me to give it back--I went out and bought that one, along with all of her other YA books. I loved every one of them.

You know, I started out my writing passion with YA books, but they were a cross breed. Sort of like crossing Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys with Francine Pascal's Sweet Valley High. From my jaunts to the bookstore, I've come to the disheartening conclusion that there's no home for my series. *sniffles*

I need a hug.

{{{{HUG}}}}}!

And one never knows what the future will hold. Five years from now, the publishers could decide they need to do more YA books again. <G>

That's what happened with paranormal. When I first started writing romance in 2000, I knew people who couldn't give away their paranormal mss. BLAMMO, look at the market now. I hear many people say that the market runs in cycles. Paranormals may cool again, and then, heat back up.

One never knows. :)

Susan G.