PDA

View Full Version : A calming injectable drug?

mellymel
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Full of questions today!

Wondering what (common) drug would be used for someone who is flipping out to calm them down, possibly make them sleep. Like for someone in a mental institution who is freaking out or someone who has just gone through a traumatic event and is totally out of control. What would they be given to calm them down and put them to sleep?

Thanks!

amschilling
08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Haldol comes to mind. It won't put them to sleep per se, and takes up to 30 minutes to take effect, but it's an injectable used to treat sever psychotic episodes. Midazolam is also common when a hospital has a "Code Grey." It works a lot faster than Haldol, but is also very short acting.

GeorgeK
08-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Lots and lots of things are used and it's not all that unusual to use a cocktail of drugs. (demerol, phenergan and either thorazine or ketamine) was a common cocktail that I use to see used. As above, Haldol has been used a lot as have benzodiazepines. There are many options depending on region, health status and time.

mayqueen
08-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Any benzo (clonazepem, diazepam) would do the trick. Also haloperidal.

thothguard51
08-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Liquid Valium ...

They used this on me before my operation and I didn't give a shit what they did to me after that.

backslashbaby
08-23-2012, 01:15 AM
The ER just gave me a big ole Demerol shot. Yummy! Except I fell asleep too fast for my taste :) That was for pain that made me too loud in there, not for any crazy episode.

The nurse's exact words before someone ran and got the shot were, "Somebody get that girl a sedative!" :ROFL:

mellymel
08-23-2012, 02:04 AM
Thanks guys! Much appreciated!!!

archetypewriting
08-25-2012, 06:15 AM
When I was doing research for my book (on psychology for writers), I visited two (American) mental institutions -- one private, one state. Both of them told me they use Ativan to calm people.

They might well use Haldol, as several people suggested, but I wouldn't think it would the first option they'd use -- that's a heavy duty drug, and an antipsychotic. (Again, that might be appropriate in some cases, but perhaps too much in others.)