SHUT THE F*&K UP!!!!!!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a problem with my neighbours. They're the noisiest bastards I've ever met. From 6pm last night til gone 2am, they were shouting at each other, meaning my wife and I had to move our bed into another room to try and get some sleep. Any suggestions other than paying someone to kill them?

We've got an ongoing noise complaint going with our council, but it's taking time. And in the meantime, we're stuck.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain, truly. We had the same thing. Unless you want to end up in trouble yourself, there's not much you can do in the short-term. But if you have the council noise complaint process on the go, it should pay off. Just make sure to keep a record of everything that happens.

The other thing you could try is to ring the police on the non-emergency line and ask if they could stop by and check everything's ok. It might at least put a temporary stop to it.

Sorry, anyway. It's rubbish when you can't get any peace in your own home.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yeah, we had to call the police a couple of times a few months ago. It did quieten down a bit after that and oddly enough, last week was close to silent. It started to pick up over the weekend and hit the fan last night. Officially, only two guys live there, but they make a shit load of noise for just two people. I'm guessing at least another two men stay there permanently and as the landlord has to give them notice before he comes round, all they have to do is bugger off for the day.

The council gave us some noise monitoring equipment a few weeks back so we're waiting to hear what they about the recordings we made. Last night just took the piss, though. 34 years old and I'm sleeping on a mattress on the floor at 2am.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I really think you need to silence them. Permanently. Methinks such people do nothing to make the world a better place.

Maybe check the classifieds for reliable cleaners?

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to dream about stuff like that.

Maybe it would be cathartic to write a book loosely based on this experience, but where the mild-mannered writerly type rolls up to their door one evening in a tank.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Ear plugs are a god-send, if you ask me.

We've got a house in the neighbourhood that loves throwing outdoor parties the moment the weather's fair. City regulations stipulate outdoor music must end at 1AM in residential areas, but not that these guys care. One party lasted to 5AM! Police is not going to bother enforcing the rules.

I've been in tears more than once, only wanting to get some sleep. And they've got the most aweful taste in music to boot. Ear plugs are but a patch and not a permanent solution, but at least they get me sleep while I keep wishing for a meteorite strike to take out the party house once and for all.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait for a night when they're quiet and give them a taste of their own medicine.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Ear plugs are a god-send, if you ask me.

We've got a house in the neighbourhood that loves throwing outdoor parties the moment the weather's fair. City regulations stipulate outdoor music must end at 1AM in residential areas, but not that these guys care. One party lasted to 5AM! Police is not going to bother enforcing the rules.

I've been in tears more than once, only wanting to get some sleep. And they've got the most aweful taste in music to boot. Ear plugs are but a patch and not a permanent solution, but at least they get me sleep while I keep wishing for a meteorite strike to take out the party house once and for all.

Hope it gets better for you.

I've thought about earplugs but my worry is not hearing my alarm in the morning. Can't see that going down well as a reason for being late for work.

And the music thing, true. Why is it people with zero taste in music are the inconsiderate shits who play it the loudest? Sunday afternoon for five hours, I had a mix of Lady Gaga and James Blunt played at roughly a million decibels from three houses away. Hideous.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'd wait for a night when they're quiet and give them a taste of their own medicine.

I've considered this more than once, but as we're in the middle of the row and are friends with the people on the other side (who've also got an eight month old baby), I can't do that. They're moving in the next couple of weeks, so I'm just hoping the people who move in aren't dicks.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our neighbors bite walnuts. Every weekend from summer through fall they have all day barbecues. The music is so loud it shakes our house and they yell over the music. And whatever they're barbecuing smells like stale yak smothered in motor oil.

Last night the neighbors across the street kept my friend up partying until 2 in the morning. Weed and music were aplenty and when they moved the party across the street more people joined.

I hate 95% of my neighbors.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Really sympathise. Been there and it is not nice. I would contact the local council members at home when said gits are keeping you awake and ask how much longer you have to put up with the noise. Do you have a good MP? If so contact him/her - they can sometimes do a really good job at prodding the local council into taking action. Only other suggestion I can make is to neuc the bastards!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Our neighbors bite walnuts. Every weekend from summer through fall they have all day barbecues. The music is so loud it shakes our house and they yell over the music. And whatever they're barbecuing smells like stale yak smothered in motor oil.

Last night the neighbors across the street kept my friend up partying until 2 in the morning. Weed and music were aplenty and when they moved the party across the street more people joined.

I hate 95% of my neighbors.

OK, you win the shitty neighours competition. :Hug2:

Really sympathise. Been there and it is not nice. I would contact the local council members at home when said gits are keeping you awake and ask how much longer you have to put up with the noise. Do you have a good MP? If so contact him/her - they can sometimes do a really good job at prodding the local council into taking action.

I think all we can really do is continue keeping a note of it and keep on at our contact at the council. As for my MP, his latest ploy for attention was to complain about underwear in the window of the local Ann Summers, so I don't think he'd be much help. Not when he's dealing with the really important issues like mannequins in sexy grundies.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine having to go through a council to take care of this sort of thing. When the neighbors are too loud, day or night (and I've had them both), I can just call the local deputy and he pays them a visit. (I was even given a special number to call for one persistent neighbor.)

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I feel your pain. :(

My neighbourhood is constantly loud. Shouting, constant building work going on. This summer has also been ideal for people who like to sit in their gardens and play bad music for hours at night.

Bad Neighbour Tale: there was a hostage situation a few doors down the other week. I'd gotten so used to all the neighbours screeching at each other that I didn't actually notice anything was 'off' until I saw the armed police outside.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I can't imagine having to go through a council to take care of this sort of thing. When the neighbors are too loud, day or night (and I've had them both), I can just call the local deputy and he pays them a visit. (I was even given a special number to call for one persistent neighbor.)

Can I have his number? ;)

Bad Neighbour Tale: there was a hostage situation a few doors down the other week. I'd gotten so used to all the neighbours screeching at each other that I didn't actually notice anything was 'off' until I saw the armed police outside.

Yeah, that's quite 'off'. You know things are bad when armed coppers turn up.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Call the fuzz on them every time they make a noise. It doesn't work too well, but better than anything else I found.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
If tonight is a repeat of last night, that's the plan. And I'm buying some ear plugs. Sigh.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seun, you have my sympathies. Really.

Loud music is bad enough and can drive one crazy but people constantly fighting can be enough to push one's aggression levels over the edge.

I'd be tempted to get the name and telephone number of every relationship councellor in the area and paste them, one at a time, to your neighbour's gate. They might get the hint.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
The strange thing is I'm not 100% sure it's actual fighting as in arguments. Based on the sound of the constant voices, it's a load of blokes all talking at the same time. We have heard obvious arguments (one of which was mostly in English and about money and led me to calling the police), but for the most part, I think it's more excessive volume than arguing.

I am so knackered. The days I could go to sleep at 2am and get up at 7am for work are long gone.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any advice other than what you are already doing, seun, but I have a potentially cathartic story.

Back in the nighties, I briefly rented a room next to a house that was prone to hosting frat parties. This was unpleasant.

At 3am one morning, I went to the 24-hour pharmacy for earplugs and found a sale on battery-powered alarm clocks for 99 cents each. They came with the batteries, so it was a particularly good sale. I bought out the 42 clocks they had left, set them all to go off at 6am (recurrent), waited two days, and then started chucking them in the wee hours of that morning from different entries into the crawlspace under the house next door.

I'm always up at 6am.

Added: I would never recommend anyone else do this. I was young, reckless, and angered out of my mind. I do savor the memory, though.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
*seun goes looking for alarm clocks*

I'd love to confront these guys but as there's one of me and at least four of them, I don't fancy it. Plus there's a language barrier which comes and goes. Not that I'm suggesting they understand what they want to when they want to.

Not at all. :brit

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
seun, it was so loud. They weren't all going off at exactly the same time, now that I think about it. Discordant, jangling cacophony. It sounded like the Hallelujah Chorus.

Ah, good times.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seun, you could always record them and then play the recording back near their door, loudly.