What color would Americans call this cat?

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
NOTE: Thanks everyone, I've found out what I needed. No need for further replies unless you really want to.

One of my stories includes a cat with orange and brown fur. In Australia, we call it a ginger cat, but some of my American friends say most people in the US would say 'orange cat'. I'm also wondering if the whole 'gingers have no souls' thing has increased the use of the term 'ginger' in the US.

To me, 'ginger cat' is more evocative than 'orange cat', but I'm drawing on a lifetime of use of the term.

Here's an example of the type of cat I'm talking about: http://awwyeahgingercats.tumblr.com/

What do you think, people of America? Is 'ginger cat' okay for a picture book? Or is it too foreign?

PS. I know gingers have beautiful souls.

Last edited:

Hamilton

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.

Well, here's a chart of cat colors that might be useful for reference. It lists ginger as being the equivalent of red or orange.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think most Americans would call it an orange tabby. That would probably be more typical than just calling it an orange cat.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ginger-colored is sometimes use to describe a person's hair color. A "ginger-colored cat" could work for most Americans, I think.

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everybody else - I'd call it an orange tabby, but calling it ginger-colored would be understood, I think. And even if kids don't know it, if it's for a picture book, then I think the kids would understand by seeing the cat. And they'd learn another word for red hair :)

Hamilton

Registered
Reaction score
After racking my brains for a bit, I can't say I've heard cats like that referred to as ginger commonly.

However, if it's a picture book that will include an illustration of the cat, specific terminology might not be a big deal. People will still 'get' the meaning.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we'd call it an orange tabby, but ginger cat would be understood, I'm sure.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I had an orange tabby named Ginger, and my vet actually informed me that in England they refer to people with red hair as ginger colored. I was like, really? Because obviously I named my orange tabby Ginger for unrelated reasons...:D We actually called him Ginger Kitten and it stuck...

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'd call it a marmelade cat, with orange being second choice and ginger being third choice. I know quite well that ginger is orange, but it's just not a word I'd normally use.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing's for sure, the cat isn't going to come when called no matter what you call him. Unless he just feels like it.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I would call it an orange tabby too. If you called it ginger, I don't know what color I would exactly picture but it wouldn't be an orange tabby.

So...yeah, orange tabby.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I've only recently heard of red haired people called 'Gingers.' I know what it means but I don't use it either for people or cats. Or dogs.

DarthPanda

All hopped up on goofballs.
Registered
Reaction score
My Granny called hers a marmalade cat.

I call mine my ginger gentleman; the vet calls him an orange tabby.

*shrug*

It all works. :D

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Third vote for marmalade, closely followed by orange tabby. Ginger is understandable, but I wouldn't expect to hear it in American english, at least not in this region. But then, around here I never hear red-haired people called gingers, either, except by one anglophile friend who happens to have red hair.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard them mostly called orange tabbys, but marmalade sounds good, too. I don't know anyone that calls them ginger cats. But I'm sure there are several people that do.*shrug*

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
Thanks everyone. As an Australian who's been working with lots of Americans for the last five years, I was really surprised to discover this difference. I guess it just never came up. Thanks very much for your help:)