LAST CALL FOR ENTRIES! The "Win a Book From William's Collection" Poetry Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Announcing the First Ever Absolute Write Win-a-Book-From-William's-Collection Poetry Contest!

**The number of entries has now been expanded to 20 (hat tip: Jenna)

Here's how it works. Poems can be any form and up to 30 lines. Entry is limited to the first ten submissions. The reason I'm limiting it to ten is because we'll use the polling feature to vote, and that's the maximum a single poll will allow. Entries should be emailed or PM'd to me. This will allow me to post them (during the voting) without the poets being identified. This should remove any chance of it becoming a popularity contest.

So that's it. Once I've received ten entries, I'll announce that here to call off any stragglers and then set up the poll, with a time limit noted. Once the votes are in, I'll announce the identity of the poems' authors and we'll all bask in the glow of the winner.

The winner will receive (should they so desire) a book of poems from my collection(!). Could be Poe, could be Whitman, could be Emily Dickinson. You'll just never know until it comes in the mail.

Speaking of which, please note that, in order to receive said book, you'll have to provide me with a mailing address. If you're uncomfortable doing that, you'll just have to be satisfied with winning such a groundbreaking contest.

To give everyone who might want to participate an equal chance at being one of the ten, I won't accept any entries before 10 PM (CST) Friday, January 13, 2006. If you send them before that, I'll delete them (though I'll probably be nice enough to shoot you a note and tell you to try again after 10.)

OKay then... I hope at least a few of you will participate.

-William

Last edited:

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for intruding.

Isn't it unfair that only the first ten submissions will get selected for voting? What if the 21st poem you recieved had the potential of winning your prize. This sounds more like an early bird prize.

What I would suggest is out of all the recieved poems, you pick ten poems and put them up for poll. Since you are giving out a book from your prized collection, you should have some liberty to choose who gets that book.

- Sanyuja

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Sorry for intruding.

don't be. it's your forum, too.

Isn't it unfair that only the first ten submissions will get selected for voting?

perhaps. but then life is often unfair.

What if the 21st poem you recieved had the potential of winning your prize.

it would be a shame that it wasn't among the first 10.

This sounds more like an early bird prize.

well, timing is often everything. most of the regulars visit here daily, so everyone should have an equal chance to get a poem ready to send and do so after the entry period begins.

What I would suggest is out of all the recieved poems, you pick ten poems and put them up for poll.

this isn't about me, but rather a simple, fun contest for the community. a "people's choice" type contest. i want to keep it manageable enough so that voters can digest all the poems and vote accordingly.

Since you are giving out a book from your prized collection, you should have some liberty to choose who gets that book.

while that's a nice sentiment, this is more of a community-building exercise and, as such, i'd rather rely on peer voting exclusively.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
William, can this be a poem we've already posted here on the forum?

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
William Haskins said:
This will allow me to post them (during the voting) without the poets being identified. This should remove any chance of it becoming a popularity contest.

William Haskins said:
Cassie88 said:
William, can this be a poem we've already posted here on the forum?

William Haskins said:
you betcha.
Then it won't be annoynomous
EmoteShrug.gif

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it wouldn't be to those in the know...

no system is perfect, but i see no reason to disqualify it because some of the voters might know who wrote it...

Last edited:

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it will be anonymous, as it's given me the push I needed to write something new... and that's what I'll be submitting. Actually, I think that sort of adds an extra dimension to the contest.. to make it be something new.....just a thought.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap, I screwed up. Today seems like Saturday to me because my daughter is out of school today.

Never mind.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted. Mispelled 'win' as 'wing' in the subject line but I submitted. Very nice idea.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
hi everyone,

feel free to go ahead and send in your submission if you'd like to participate. i've received 4 entries so far, and will take another 6.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
William, I can actually edit the poll to add extra options once it's been posted. It's a weird system! I'm not sure if there's an outside limit, but I think you can safely accept 20 entries if you choose.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
jenna, you're so damn lovely.

okay, please note that i can now accept 20 submissions.

thank you, jenna!

DenimSoul

Shelf bound or bust!
Registered
Reaction score
When do we get to read the poems in the contest? And where? This same thread or another one. Cool idea. I didn't feel like writing anything but I'm always ready to savor some great writing.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
CONTEST ENTRY UPDATE:

i've received 8 entries so far, so we can still accomodate another 12 for the contest. my plan is to cut off submissions tomorrow night (Sunday) should the max of 20 not be received.

so you've still got some time if you'd like to enter.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good, that means I made it. I wanted to show my support by participating. Glad I was able. :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to say that I think this is a great idea. For one reason it made me sit down and re-write one of my poems. When you know you're competing with other poets, you want to make sure you do your best work. (Unless it's a "bad" poetry contest; in that case you want to submit your worst.)

I'm looking forward to reading the other poems.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Entry Update:

9 entries in. 11 entries will still be accepted.

this is a book i've actually touched and read, people! imagine the ebay possibilities...

okay, anyway.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'll still be taking entries for the poetry contest until 10PM (CST) tonight, or until i receive 20 entries, whichever comes first.

thanks to everyone who's entered so far. some interesting work.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
William Haskins said:
Entry Update:

9 entries in. 11 entries will still be accepted.

this is a book i've actually touched and read, people! imagine the ebay possibilities...

okay, anyway.

Lol! I would, you know, but I've only written one poem in fifteen years and I've found a way to post it twice on AW. I think I've milked it for all it's worth. Can't wait to read the entries though.

Come on people. I know there are twenty good poems between us. (William, I think, somehow, you've scared them off.)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
William, I think, somehow, you've scared them off

that's okay. we have a wonderful slate to go with as it is. just giving folks one last opportunity to join in the fun...

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
Entry Update:
this is a book i've actually touched and read, people!
Makes me all tingly just thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.