The Chronicles of Narnia should have another book (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

SPOILER ALERT. If you have not read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series and don't want to be spoiled on how it all ends in the seventh book, don't read any further. SPOILER ALERT.

You've been warned.

I just finished reading the last book in the series this evening, "The Last Battle."

When I was done I was left feeling unfulfilled and I wanted to have one more book in the series, a book of Susan's redemption.

It grieved me when Peter informed Tirian that Susan was no longer a friend of Narnia but had turned her back. But she was still young and that's not to say she couldn't come back. And look at the facts, her entire family died in that book, can you imagine the grief she would have gone through back on earth when word reached her that both her parents and all three of her siblings, as well as a cousin, were all dead?

Perhaps not writing the book as part of the series, but a later book that chronicles Susan's journey in life from the death of her family through her finally finding redemption and at the very end being reunited with her family in Aslan's country.

I so want to read that book!!!

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Put your money where your mouth is. Write it! Seriously--it sounds like it could make a great story.

(Never occurred to me when I read the last book. Too busy wiping a tear or two, actually.)

Puddle Jumper

I'm thinking copyright laws would forbid me to write a book using his characters.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess I was thinking that a general story about a woman who loses all her family and has to fight to regain lost spiritual connections would work just as well.

Puddle Jumper

But Susan already has such a history.

How long do copyright laws last anyway? I could always write the story and keep it on my shelf if it would lift in my lifetime. But then I could write it for family and friends to enjoy also.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I agree.

It's been awhile since I read the series, but in the movie, Aslan tells all 4: Once a king & Queen in Narnia, always a King & Queen in Narnis", and immediately I thought of Susan not being there at the end of The Last Battle.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Chronicles

Copyright, I believe, is life of author plus 70 years, so The Chronicles would not be in the public domain until 2033, and that's if the estate does not renew the copyright. So, yes, you would run into serious copyright issues if you tried to write a sequel and publish or sell it.

However, if you wanted to write it just for fun, you could write it as "fanfiction" (which, technically, is probably still a copyright infringement, but one that is generally overlooked by the industry and regarded as harmless) and just allow people to read and comment on it for free.

There is a category for C.S. Lewis fanfiction on www.fanfiction.net which currently has close to 600 stories. Here's the precise URL for that category: http://www.fanfiction.net/l/1043/3/0/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.