PDA

View Full Version : Beta wanted

HeavilyMedicated
08-21-2012, 05:06 AM
...please. :)

It's a 60,010 word WIP. I'm concerned about whether or not the story is nonsensical and, well, the overall quality of course. That probably goes without saying.

Genre: Science fiction and fantasy
Feedback: Not harsh. I'm looking for someone to evaluate it and maybe offer tips.
Publishing: My goal is to submit this to agents. So help with that.
Credentials: Someone who has experience submitting and querying?

Thank you.

Unimportant
08-21-2012, 05:19 AM
You might find it helpful to read the sticky post at the top of this subforum entitled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

However, before you post a request for a beta reader or writing partner, please take a moment to consider what you would like in another member of your team. People are more likely to respond to specific requests, and if most of the information is availabe initially, you can find a good match faster. Here are a few things to consider:

Genre. Non-fiction and fiction attract different kinds of people, as does mystery, humor, fantasy, etc. Take, for instance, novels and greeting cards, or freelance articles and poetry anthologies.
Feedback. Can you take harsh criticism, or do you prefer a little hand-holding? Are you looking for someone to simply answer questions, offer tips, or do you want someone willing to read and evaluate your work? Are you looking for guidelines, or someone to make sure you're reaching your goals?
Publishing. While most people prefer traditional publishing, many are knowledgable about self-publishing. Which is for you? Do you need help pitching to magazines? Querying agents?
Credentials. Do you want your writing partner to have specific background credentials, like a published novel, or do you feel comfortable working with all knowledgable individuals?

HeavilyMedicated
08-21-2012, 05:22 AM
I was nervous and posted without thinking. Thank you. I'll go read the rest of the thread and edit the post accordingly.

Unimportant
08-21-2012, 05:34 AM
For querying agents, your best bet will probably be to post your query letter in the Query Hell section of Share Your Work (down near the bottom of the main forum page index). The collective wisdom there from experienced authors who've successfully queried agents and got representation is immense.

Share Your Work also has a very active fantasy/SF critique section for first chapters. You'd be very welcome to critique people's stories there, and once you've got 50 posts under your belt you can post your own novel start there too for other people to critique too.

It's also a great place to find beta readers.....

HeavilyMedicated
08-21-2012, 05:38 AM
I should have probably thought this through a bit more.

I will do both of those things. Thanks.

Unimportant
08-21-2012, 05:44 AM
You're hardly the first person to do this! ;)

Maryn
08-21-2012, 05:23 PM
You're hardly the first person to do this! ;)However, you're solidly in the first thousand. Don't worry about it one bit.

Maryn, who wishes you well