PDA

View Full Version : Query Queries

popmuze
08-20-2012, 10:41 PM
The query for my last novel (YA) has been getting a consistent 30-40% request rate. But the query for this new book, a comic mystery is 0; out of 15 queries not so much as a form rejection from anyone. Apart from the quality and content of the query, which I've submitted to the Query Letter Hell people, I'm wondering if the mystery/crime genre is really slow these days. Or if mystery and crime are one and the same and is one selling better than the other? Also, since I'm calling it a comic mystery, maybe I'd be better off pitching it to agents who specialize in humor/satire. I've just about run out of the ones who specialize in both humor and crime.

J.Reid
09-02-2012, 08:22 AM
one way to figure out if a category isn't hot anymore is to see how many debut authors are being published in it. I think comic mysteries are hard to sell. Other agent's opinions may vary.

heyjude
09-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Mystery, thriller, and suspense is glutted, from what I hear. It's a tough genre to break into at all.

But what genre isn't? :Shrug:

Decker
09-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Within the last several years, a lot of agents who use to handle MTS have moved on to other genres, mostly non-fiction. Others are typically sticking with more established writers, and some are simply keeping the catagory open for, I believe, the one in a million shot they think will revitalize the genre.