naming similar works in a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
I am working on my query letter right now and I'd like to be able to mention some novels that share similar traits with mine. My setting is Austin, Texas, 1872. I'm looking for examples of novels with two specific storylines.

1. I'm looking for historic novels set in the U.S. where best friends (men) see their friendship become strained to the point where they become enemies.

2. Again, a historic novel (if possible) set in the U.S. where the male character must choose between two women that he loves.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
hmm. Have you looked at the Query Letter Hell and and (I hope I get this right - someone will correct me if not anyway) and at the 'Miss Snark' blog? Both those resources seem to indicate that naming another work in a query is something to be avoided.

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
I'll check it out. If that's the case, then that's one headache saved, as I was having a tough time with the comparisons. Thank you.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about using comparative titles is that it's a quick and easy way to show an agent/editor where your book fits in the market and on the shelf. However, if you can't - yourself - think of comparative titles off the top of your head, then it might be best not to include them. Including obscure titles or older titles that are no longer relevant to the market can actually hurt your presentation by making it appear that there's no current audience for your genre or that books in your genre have mostly gone unnoticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.