Where Do Ghosts Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finishing up the third draft of my novel, which I call a "ghost story." The second main character is a ghost, and a huge chunk of the novel is about the protagonist (contemporary female) finding out who the ghost was in life, and why he is the way he is. It's largely inspired by the work of Hans Holzer.

But in narrowing down the list of agents to send to, I get a little stuck. Paranormal, sure. But it's not a romance novel, although it contains some romantic elements. It's not scary enough to be horror; I think there are some bits that have suspense and tension, but it's not an Amityville-esque haunting.

What I think sets my book apart is that I really researched the phenomena of hauntings, and tried to make my fictional ghost "real." And the protagonist doesn't magically find his diary in perfect condition up in the back of the attic in order to learn who he is. Instead, she does more genealogical-style research, the way we all would if we didn't find that all-important diary. (Can you tell I've read that kind of story more than once??)

So far I've been considering agents who take "paranormal" works, and some "literary women's fiction," because the protagonist is a woman finding her way in the world. So it's chick-litty, but not all that lighthearted.

Am I heading in the right direction? Can anyone give me some insight?

CindyB

Registered
Reaction score
Jeneral said:
I'm finishing up the third draft of my novel, which I call a "ghost story." The second main character is a ghost, and a huge chunk of the novel is about the protagonist (contemporary female) finding out who the ghost was in life, and why he is the way he is. It's largely inspired by the work of Hans Holzer.

But in narrowing down the list of agents to send to, I get a little stuck. Paranormal, sure. But it's not a romance novel, although it contains some romantic elements. It's not scary enough to be horror; I think there are some bits that have suspense and tension, but it's not an Amityville-esque haunting.

What I think sets my book apart is that I really researched the phenomena of hauntings, and tried to make my fictional ghost "real." And the protagonist doesn't magically find his diary in perfect condition up in the back of the attic in order to learn who he is. Instead, she does more genealogical-style research, the way we all would if we didn't find that all-important diary. (Can you tell I've read that kind of story more than once??)

So far I've been considering agents who take "paranormal" works, and some "literary women's fiction," because the protagonist is a woman finding her way in the world. So it's chick-litty, but not all that lighthearted.

Am I heading in the right direction? Can anyone give me some insight?

I'd say supernatural or paranormal. Research those a bit.

Cindy

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, let me just say that Hans Holzer RULES! Did you read his monster compilation entitled "Ghosts"? Your post reminded me that I need to finish my own copy.

What comes to mind regarding your genre dilemma is something I learned from another member here, (so feel free to claim the credit if you're reading this). Experiment with "removing" various parts (the romance part, the ghost part) to find out if the story falls apart without one or the other. I hope this is making sense. Then you should be able to figure out the dominant genre.

Your story sounds kind of gothic. Think that will fit?

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
clara bow said:
First of all, let me just say that Hans Holzer RULES! Did you read his monster compilation entitled "Ghosts"? Your post reminded me that I need to finish my own copy.

Oh, yeah. That book is the backbone of my research. That thing could qualify as a weapon in several states, I think.

Experiment with "removing" various parts (the romance part, the ghost part) to find out if the story falls apart without one or the other. I hope this is making sense. Then you should be able to figure out the dominant genre.

You know, that's an interesting idea. The ghost is one of the main characters, so it's hard to tell it without him, but I think I see what you mean. Without his presence, it's more of a literary fiction, women's fiction novel, I think. So maybe I'll target some of those agents too.

Your story sounds kind of gothic. Think that will fit?

I'll have to do some reading to answer that. I always think of Gothic as dark, spooky, Victorian-era castles, while my book is set in present-day North Carolina.

Thanks for your thoughts and insight! I appreciate it!

Last edited:

rpl

Registered
Reaction score
clara bow said:
What comes to mind regarding your genre dilemma is something I learned from another member here, (so feel free to claim the credit if you're reading this). Experiment with "removing" various parts (the romance part, the ghost part) to find out if the story falls apart without one or the other. I hope this is making sense. Then you should be able to figure out the dominant genre.

Thanks for that advice (clara bow and whoever came up with it originally)! I was in the same fix -- not sure of my genre. I have a ghost story entwined with a love story between two (living) characters. I wasn't sure whether I was writing horror or romance. If you take the ghost out, it's ... not something I'd want to waste my time on. But the ghost story can stand without the romantic element.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently shopping around a paranormal romance with significant ghost action myself. It's more paranormal than romance, but of course I'd like to get it published as a series so both elements can become equally developed.

An agent recently rejected a partial from it, but included in her lengthy feedback was a suggestion that I pitch it as a mystery. I don't know that I agree, but I mention it in case it might help someone else whose story might have stronger mystery elements.

Off the top of my head, Kristin Nelson blogged about paranormal being hot right now, and suggested that a "ghost hunting series would be cool." She asked for a partial from me, so we'll see.

You could also try Jessica Faust at BookEnds, and Jenny Rappaport at Folio.

Just don't rub it in too deep if you get repped and I don't! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.