To submit more queries? Or wait for a full response?

GuruLord

Cake or Death?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
copernicusnerdicus.blogspot.com
Hey all -

So my querying process has begun for my MG novel COPERNICUS NERDICUS - after months of revising, months of ignoring my book, months of going back to my book and revising some more, and listening to all the priceless advice from my beta readers...the long process has been completed (to the best of my ability anyway)

I sent out my first batch of queries last week (only to 5 agents) - and I was lucky enough to receive a request for full from one particular agent after I sent a query and the first 50 pages.

Of course I was ecstatic, but now I am wondering if I should take a pause from querying and await her response.

Even if I am rejected from this agent - I know they will probably have some invaluable advice that may improve my MS. So, this is an opinion based question -

Do I wait to send more queries, in hopes that if I am rejected I can get some amazing advice to improve my MS? Or just feel strong enough in my current MS and keep on sending it out.

I would personally rather not rush out my queries..and I'm doing my best to hold back lol.

It's rather funny that I am actually looking a fwd to a rejection - just for some more honest advice on my MS. Of course i'd love an offer of representation too!

(BTW - thanks to everyone who assisted in my query in QLH...thanks to you guys I was able to secure my first full request)

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Congratulations! I think getting a full request after a 50 page sample is a huge compliment about the writing! Well done.

As for your question, I think not rushing queries is smart. But unless the agent you submitted to has a track record of providing feedback on full manuscripts, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. With that in mind, I wouldn't wait too long before sending out another batch. When I query, I usually send out batches of 10 and then wait for some replies. I research each agent like a stalker first, of course, and because of that I usually get replies pretty quick since I try to send them stuff that they have said they are looking for. But I have received a form rejection off a full after 10 months. So in my experience, waiting for feedback on a full before querying other agents isn't something I'm keen to do.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

PS - you and I write in the same genre, it looks like, and I can tell you a couple wonderful agents who have consistently given me great feedback on the stuff I've written (when they requested -and passed on- the full). If you're interested. You might already have your agent query list sorted out.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuruLord

Cake or Death?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey there Profen,

That would be great if you could send over your agent list that you've submitted to. I have a long list as well, but would love to see if I missed any. And yours may be ones I may just target first so I can get some feedback on any full rejects :)

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hey there Profen,

That would be great if you could send over your agent list that you've submitted to. I have a long list as well, but would love to see if I missed any. And yours may be ones I may just target first so I can get some feedback on any full rejects :)

I won't send you the whole list, since over the years that has become a LONG list. LOL. But there are two or three who had consistently given me great feedback when they reject me after requesting the full.

Will PM you in an hour or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the full request, but don't count on getting "some invaluable advice that may make my improve my MS" if they pass on it. Most rejections, even on fulls, don't come with much more than a "not for me" or "I just didn't fall in love with it."

It's possible, of course, that the requesting agent will give you some feedback, but it's not the norm.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I would keep querying. What if the agent doesn't give advice, never answers at all, or gives revision notes that you hate?

And what's the harm in querying more? You may get more requests, possibly more feedback.

GuruLord

Cake or Death?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think I'm going to end up doing what profen has done - just send queries in batches. Every 2 weeks I'll send out a new batch. The agent that requested a full has a history of providing feedback on "rejections", so that's why I was primarily asking.

I figured since I just started the query process I could possibly afford to wait.

Oy...querying is more stressful than writing the query letter lol

Congratulations! I would keep querying. What if the agent doesn't give advice, never answers at all, or gives revision notes that you hate?

And what's the harm in querying more? You may get more requests, possibly more feedback.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to end up doing what profen has done - just send queries in batches. Every 2 weeks I'll send out a new batch.
Good plan. Here's hoping that other queries are a waste if time because the first agent has already optioned it to a major studio, two networks and an overseas conglomerate. Oh, and a trade publisher as well. :)

Jeff

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would sent five more queries. Batches of ten are a good tactic.
This is usually my tactic too :) Although part of that is to test the 1:10 recommended request:query ratio, and you've already beaten that.

(I did a batch of 13 this time around because I like that number, but I'm holding for a while.)

I have been like, "Ooh, people are requesting!" and then queried every agent that might like the book. This resulted in me getting a lot of full rejections, some with helpful advice...that I couldn't use because I'd already queried everyone. But batches of 10 are great to start out with.

jcroc

Registered
Reaction score
I'd keep querying. Another thing that might be useful is keeping an eye out for pitch contests e.g. 'Gearing Up To Get An Agent', Pitch Madness (YAtopia? I think?) and the 'Dear Lucky Agent' contests Writer's Digest runs, if you aren't already. I think if you're getting full requests you've got a decent chance in these and they're usually judged by agents. The prizes are usually critiques or similar. Helps with the waiting! (I've got three fulls out, so I'm in limbo-land too.)

aokva

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I have much experience in this, but I'd keep querying too. I don't see the harm in sending out a few more no matter what the response is from the agent who requested the full. I doubt you'll regret it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A good, basic plan for finding your first agent:

• Write something. You can't usually find an agent with just an idea. :)
  • Research agents for your work. Who is accepting your type, who has deals for your type, etc.
  • Rank the agents, in order of your best to worst choice. You might have twenty agents, you might have 100, rank them all as best you can.
  • Pick the top ten agents and send them a personalized query, meeting their requirements.
  • Wait. At least a reasonable time. Could be two weeks, could be two months. Most agents have published query times, try to be reasonable with them.
  • Send out personalized queries to the second ten on your list. Same waiting.
  • Repeat until you get responses from agents, then concentrate on meeting those response requests (if any).
  • Repeat the query process with the third ten.

Six months into it, research agents again. They change. Rank them again and start sending to the agents you have not yet sent to. Keep it up until you die, you get an agent or the Darleks destroy the world.

Jeff