PDA

View Full Version : THIS! THIS, THIS, OH, THIS is why you need an editor!

BenPanced
08-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Reading the hometown newspaper online earlier this afternoon, I discovered this little gem:

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/125489/original.jpg

benbenberi
08-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Oh, that poor bike!

Devil Ledbetter
08-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Fortunately for that reporter, there was no byline.

Stacia Kane
08-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Reminds me of arguably the most famous newspaper editorial gaffe:

"The President was seen entering Mrs. Galt, who appeared to enjoy his sally." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post#Founding_and_early_period)

stormie
08-20-2012, 04:48 AM
There ya go--mopeds guzzling and driving. Probably on drugs too. There really should be a law against mopeds behaving like humans.

SkyeOhWhy
08-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Hahaha, oh dear. :D

I quite enjoyed this slideshow of bad newspaper typos: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/18/the-most-ridiculous-news_n_579913.html#s91380&title=Dont_Worry_Physicians

Warning: several involve accidental swearwords.

dangerousbill
08-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Reading the hometown newspaper online earlier this afternoon, I discovered this little gem:

Not only that, but the police evacuated. That must have been smelly and disgusting.

jjdebenedictis
08-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Not only that, but the police evacuated. That must have been smelly and disgusting.If I had to do their job, I'd be evacuating all the damned time. In both senses of the word. I'm no hero.

AllieKat
08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
I love the ones on Leno. Not that I see them often.

Wait, is Leno still running?

I need to update my pop culture information...

--

seun
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Not only that, but the police evacuated. That must have been smelly and disgusting.

You beat me to it. :D

One of my favourites came from my local paper. It was during Ramadan (if I remember correctly). Apparently, it's customary to give arms to the poor during this time.

taichiquan.panda
08-20-2012, 01:00 PM
:roll: Too damn funny. Poor moped.

Wait..."arms to the poor?"

smh :ROFL:

Little Anonymous Me
08-20-2012, 06:08 PM
:yessmiley

I love this thread.

Xelebes
08-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Was the moped driver moped and the reason why the police evacuated?

EMaree
08-20-2012, 07:12 PM
That poor, poor moped.

Erin Latimer
08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Too funny! Poor moped! That's why you read your work before you send it away! I've had some crazy typos! Like, instead of writing "bobbies" as in, English policemen, I wrote "boobies". I'm sure my agent would have wondered about that....

Edit! haha

LeslieB
08-20-2012, 10:56 PM
And now I'm giggling, remembering the clipping Mom showed me from a local paper that had someone pissing away of a kidney ailment.

seun
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Too funny! Poor moped! That's why you read your work before you send it away! I've had some crazy typos! Like, instead of writing "bobbies" as in, English policemen, I wrote "boobies". I'm sure my agent would have wondered about that....

I once told an agent I was busty with a new book.

C. K. Casner
08-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I turned to the local news for a weather update and saw an alert for a 'Head Advisory'.

Susan Lanigan
08-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Poor bike. Must have had cycle-ogical problems...

LindaJeanne
08-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Oh, I just remembered. Several years ago, saw an article on CNN about some political event happening in South America for the first time in "200 centuries".

WildScribe
08-21-2012, 12:36 AM
This thread is awesome. :D

LadyV
08-21-2012, 04:55 AM
This thread is awesome. :D
Ditto! You guys are cracking me up.

I remember a typo in a local newspaper. It wasn't really a typo but a misplaced picture. The article was about the girl's softball team, but instead there was a picture of the boy's baseball team. My uncle looked at it and said, "Those are some ugly girls."

rhymegirl
08-21-2012, 06:26 AM
I used to turn in my articles to an online publication all proofread and would find typos the editor made when he edited them.

Guess I should have been the editor!

Purple Rose
08-21-2012, 06:47 AM
Too funny!

Let's chip in and send the reporter and editor each a copy of Lynne Truss seminal work, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

BenPanced
08-21-2012, 09:19 AM
I swear. I'm not on a crusade or anything. I was doing some research for a higher-end restaurant in Chicago that would cater to a GLBT clientele and...well...this place quickly fell off the "possible" list.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/125722/original.jpg

Bartholomew
08-21-2012, 09:22 AM

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/125489/original.jpg

Honestly, from my somewhat limited experience with newspapers, this looks like the copy editor inserted it by mistake, rather than missed it entirely. It reeks of a cut & paste error.

Becky Black
08-21-2012, 05:28 PM
In my local Starbucks they were having a promotion and had posters up about it, ending with "please ask a barista for more information." There was also a little chalkboard, onto which someone had diligently copied the words from the poster. Except they'd missed out the word "ask" in that last sentence, so were encouraging customers to "please a barista for more information." ;)

AlishaS
08-21-2012, 11:25 PM
:popcorn: Thanks for the good laugh.

Erin Latimer
08-22-2012, 02:58 AM
I once told an agent I was busty with a new book.

Ahaha, that's great! They must have had a good chuckle over that one. Nothing like a good boob related typo:)

seun
08-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Ahaha, that's great! They must have had a good chuckle over that one. Nothing like a good boob related typo:)

Sadly, I never heard back. Can't imagine why. :D

nkkingston
08-22-2012, 01:18 PM
There was a good one a few years back in a cookbook, which called for you to season with salt and black people.

LindaJeanne
08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
In "On Writing", Steven King mentions one of his beta-readers for a draft of Salem's Lot laughing uproariously when hitting a line about "even though hunting season was over, the locals would still shoot all the peasants they could eat".

muravyets
08-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Honestly, from my somewhat limited experience with newspapers, this looks like the copy editor inserted it by mistake, rather than missed it entirely. It reeks of a cut & paste error.
My money's on global search and replace without follow-up read through.

I remember a classic example of that quoted in The Atlantic in which a corporation had all their documentation updated for sensitivity edits, across the board, which resulted in references to African American ink for signatures and in other places declarations of quarterly projections that were expected to put certain troubled projects back in the African American.

BenPanced
08-23-2012, 07:00 AM
:e2smack:

Terie
08-23-2012, 11:04 AM
My money's on global search and replace without follow-up read through.

Are you talking about the story in the OP? Because for an 87-word story, I highly doubt that it was a global search-and-replace error. It's actually quite obviously just a missing word. Every single one of us does that sometimes. Whether it was left out by the writer or accidentally removed later in the proces, who knows. But there's nothing in that brief news story that would've necessitated running a global search and replace.

Many years ago, when I worked as a tech writer for a financial institution, one of the other writers was assigned to update a procedure in a lending manual and discovered that the last time it had been updated, no one noticed the typo in the title: 'Pubic Funds'. And we had a very rigid editing process!

Susan Littlefield
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Oh, that's ultra-precious! :D

Susan Littlefield
08-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Many years ago, when I worked as a tech writer for a financial institution, one of the other writers was assigned to update a procedure in a lending manual and discovered that the last time it had been updated, no one noticed the typo in the title: 'Pubic Funds'. And we had a very rigid editing process!

Yep, we are all human.

LindaJeanne
08-24-2012, 02:44 AM
Oh! Another one I had forgotten.

Back about... 1999? A major project at the company I was working for at the time completed, and to commemorate/celebrate, they had T-shirts printed up for everyone. But they came back from the printer with a typo: we were all sporting shirts with the word "Technolgy" proudly displayed as part of the company name.

Bookdragonette
08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
so were encouraging customers to "please a barista for more information." ;)
It's always a good idea and good manners to be nice to baristas. ;)

Linda Adams
08-26-2012, 09:26 PM
This one came out this morning: http://www.powerlineblog.com/admin/ed-assets/2012/08/NBC-Neil-Young-copy.jpg

I don't envy the person who let that one through. Getting a person's name wrong in a obituary is bad enough, but getting the name wrong in an obituary for a high profile person ...

BenPanced
09-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Oh, hai. I found another one on Yahoo! Health:

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/127892/127892_original.jpg

Stacia Kane
09-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Heating a bowel with water and lemon will clean something, all right, but I don't think it would be the microwave. Unless the bowel in question belongs to someone with very bizarre personal habits.

jjdebenedictis
09-01-2012, 08:27 PM

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/127892/127892_original.jpgBah-hahahahaha! That's awesome!

"I don't understand. I keep using this lemon water enema, but my microwave looks the same!"

LadyV
09-01-2012, 11:20 PM

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/127892/127892_original.jpg
:ROFL:

And still this thread provides the LOL's.

Sirion
09-08-2012, 01:06 AM
You beat me to it. :D

One of my favourites came from my local paper. It was during Ramadan (if I remember correctly). Apparently, it's customary to give arms to the poor during this time.

Clearly you are against giving arms to the poor.

Why do you hate the poor? :P

AnnikaHTDC
09-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I had a similar sentence in a report I was editing at work, where a person was injured in a car accident and were apparently resuscitated by a helicopter.

seun
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Clearly you are against giving arms to the poor.

Why do you hate the poor? :P

They're 'armless.

What? What?

Jersey Chick
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I received a rejection letter from an editor who told me I needed to pay more attention to details.

She spelled my name wrong.

:D

Perks
09-15-2012, 06:26 PM
KANSAS CITY (AP) — The Army is taking over the prosecution of a Missouri soldier accused of killing a man who slept with his wife just hours before attending her funeral.I had to read half the article to figure out how this super-efficient funeral went down.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/sep/09/army-takes-over-murder-prosecution/

LindaJeanne
09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that first line of the story completely fails to say what it's trying to say, I'm afraid.:Shrug:

For those who don't want to click through to the article, what the story actually says:

Man's wife dies of overdose
Shortly before her funeral, the widower allegedly kills a man for allegedly sleeping with her while the now-widower was stationed overseas
The army has filed charges, the state has dropped theirs. So this is proceeding as a military trial.

frankiebrown
09-16-2012, 04:39 AM
I hope that the moped has full recovery.

Becky Black
09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
A couple of favourite news headlines from the BBC website include the notorious "Police chase man killed by train" and "Man arrested for 2003 murders" Wow, that's a lot of murders for one person! You'd think we'd have heard more about this guy! :D

BenPanced
03-16-2013, 03:43 AM
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/570324/133572/133572_original.jpg

This is currently on my ISP's front page news scroll.

thothguard51
03-16-2013, 04:09 AM
At a SCA event, I had make a speech to large SCA gathering during a yule feast. I was supposed to introduce the new crown prince. This is after many flagons of home brewed mead...

I stood up and proudly proclaimed..."Ladies and genitals, if I might have your attention."

The prince then spoke up and said, "I think that is suppose to be gentiles."

Without missing a beat, I replied, "Yes, and them too."

The rest of the introduction went fine, but the hall was in stitches by time I finished.

Papaya
03-16-2013, 04:22 AM
At a SCA event, I had make a speech to large SCA gathering during a yule feast. I was supposed to introduce the new crown prince. This is after many flagons of home brewed mead...

I stood up and proudly proclaimed..."Ladies and genitals, if I might have your attention."

The prince then spoke up and said, "I think that is suppose to be gentiles."

Without missing a beat, I replied, "Yes, and them too."

The rest of the introduction went fine, but the hall was in stitches by time I finished.
:ROFL: - Priceless!

JournoWriter
03-16-2013, 04:37 AM
Oh, good copy editors are absolutely worth their weight in gold. I've worked as both a newspaper reporter and copy editor, and on the editing side, I got a lot of good laughs out of the stuff reporters would turn in; when I was a reporter, I know the copy desk saved my hash on hundreds of occasions. It was great work, too - lots of fun and always exciting, without the need to actually deal with real human beings except your fellow night-shift misfits.

The most common newspaper error, I'd wager, is public vs. pubic. As in "a pubic meeting" or "the pubic service commission" or "a pubic body." Oh, and shift vs. that same word without the letter F. Just one letter of difference, but what a doozy ...

MrsClaus
03-16-2013, 05:18 AM
This was always one of my fears when I worked at my small town newspaper. I'd proofread until my eyes were sore.

Let me tell you, there is nothing like being in the grocery store trying to pick out produce and having one of the little old ladies in town who have known you since you were "this tall" pointing out you misspelled something.

Liralen
03-16-2013, 11:11 AM
The newspaper here is nearly unreadable if you're halfway literate.

One of my favorite gaffes, though, was one a friend of mine made. He was the news anchor for WATE in Knoxville for several years.

During Wimbledon there was a major controversy over the difference in the prize monies between the men and the women. The line he was reading was: "if the women don't achieve parity, they will pitch their tents elsewhere."

What came out of Mike's mouth was: "if the women don't achieve parity, they will pinch their tits."

He kept a straight face and they cut to commercial. He told me later that you could hear the guys in the soundproof booth laughing.

Broadswordbabe
03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I think one of my favourites was a restaurant menu advertising 'garlic coffee'...

thepicpic
03-16-2013, 02:33 PM
I think one of my favourites was a restaurant menu advertising 'garlic coffee'...

You can get garlic beer, so it doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me. Still, I won't be the first to volunteer to try it.

BenPanced
03-16-2013, 10:23 PM
There was a local GLBT news weekly that was riddled with basic grammar and punctuation errors to be almost unreadable. Rather than clean up their act, what did they do? Have a contest where the person who submitted the most errors won a gift certificate or some other prize.

Srsly.