Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Scribble Orca

Cetacean Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I was told that self-pubbing an MG novel is a sure road to doom. If anybody has any thoughts on this (either confirming or contrary) I would be grateful to hear them?

I don't know of these two authors, but thanks for mentioning them, I will be checking them out.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Self-publishing MG is tough in part because a lot of big self-publishing successes involve the sale of ebooks, and the ebook market for MG is slim.

There aren't a lot of adults who read down to MG the way many do with YA, and because e-reader manufacturers have been slow to put appropriate parental controls on their devices, parents have been reluctant to buy them for their middle graders (this is changing--the new Kindle Fire and the new B&N Nooks have fantastic parent controls). And there's the added problem that devices like the Fire or the B&N LCD line (Color, Tablet, HD) can also do apps and games, and so parents and teachers alike view them more as one more electronic toy and again, are reluctant to buy them on top of the Nintento DS, ipod touch, etc. their kids already have.

So, we need to build the ebook audience among MG readers first. It's coming--I would say in any given week maybe 10-15% of my sales are either directly to MG readers or to parents who intend to mainly have the device used by their MG or younger kids, but it's still slow.

Scribble Orca

Cetacean Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, JSSchley.

That coincides what what little I've been able to find out. The other part I'm wondering is where the split between MG and YA lies - some say it's about the content and the self-perception of the characters, others say it's strictly an age thing - usually the age of the protagonists - others say it's the length of the novel. And then there is talk of 'tweens' as well - but no shelf in a bookstore yet, so the ruling wisdom is not to age characters in this in-between zone, which is where e-books might have an advantage?

Self-publishing MG is tough in part because a lot of big self-publishing successes involve the sale of ebooks, and the ebook market for MG is slim.

There aren't a lot of adults who read down to MG the way many do with YA, and because e-reader manufacturers have been slow to put appropriate parental controls on their devices, parents have been reluctant to buy them for their middle graders (this is changing--the new Kindle Fire and the new B&N Nooks have fantastic parent controls). And there's the added problem that devices like the Fire or the B&N LCD line (Color, Tablet, HD) can also do apps and games, and so parents and teachers alike view them more as one more electronic toy and again, are reluctant to buy them on top of the Nintento DS, ipod touch, etc. their kids already have.

So, we need to build the ebook audience among MG readers first. It's coming--I would say in any given week maybe 10-15% of my sales are either directly to MG readers or to parents who intend to mainly have the device used by their MG or younger kids, but it's still slow.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
This is the best explanation I've found for the difference between YA and MG, from Kristin Nelson, of Nelson Literary Agency.

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2012/02/fridays-with-agent-kristin-episode-2.html

Though to be honest, I've read a fair few MG that don't meet this criteria--where there was no way for that kid to go back to being a kid. THE GIVER, for instance, or ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY. Perhaps the dividing line is, if you can write a book where the kid faces adult problems for the first time and is forever changed, and it gets called a MG book anyway, you win a Newbery? :D

benjj

Registered
Reaction score
Had a peruse at Pub Rants, learned a lot from Agent Kristin. Thanx for sharing JS.

Status
Not open for further replies.