• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Feasible to make novella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opheliabrown12

Book released in August!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,
I have a book I'm working on for young adults and it is a complete story and everything and I've added a short story to it. However, I am wondering if you think that 45 pages in the galley is feasible for a novella (even for teens!). I want to make it longer, but I don't know how to flesh it out. It actually is a short story, but some reviewers have told me that it would make a great novel. They want me to expound. How do I make a great short story into a novel?

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Add another 250 pages?

Seriously, add a subplot maybe. But I think this is quite hard to do. A story is the length it must be, so what's wrong with trying to sell it as a short story? (Short fiction!) I write long short stories, but never have sold one as a 'novella' though by strict definition most of my shorts are novellas.

Anyhow, leave it a novella. Write 2-4 shorts to go with it. Try selling it as a collection.

kaylastonor

Kayla
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaylastonor.wordpress.com
What's the word count? Does it delve deep into emotions? Is there a backstory to pull out? Could you add a sub-plot? A new character with purpose could add length.

JamesOliv

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I once started a novel that ended up becoming a short story. If I tried to stretch it, I wold ruin it. I tried. I had my editor look at it. The all around opinion: it's a good short story, don't make it a bad novella/novel

When I wrote my novella, I intended to write a short story. As I wrote, it just kept flowing. When I stopped shy of a novel, but way past a short story, I had my editor and other trusted eyes look it over. The verdict: it's a good novella, don't ruin it by making it a bad short story or novel.

I'm sure others disagree. I know people who create outlines first maybe don't hit this same wall. But I just find that different lengths for different stories is nothing to fight against.

A good friend of mine once wrote a novella. It didn't flow very well at all. It was too busy. He broke it up into three short stories and like was good. As individual stories, the work very well. And he will have an easier time trying to publish three very good short stories, than one confusing novella/novel.

I say try to improve the story. Make it as good as you can make it. Worry about word count afterward. If it's too short to be a novel, don't worry so much. Maybe your next project is the novel you were born to write.

Opheliabrown12

Book released in August!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks

Anyhow, leave it a novella. Write 2-4 shorts to go with it. Try selling it as a collection.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your viewpoint. I guess I had given up because I didn't know if I had anymore short stories in me. I'm sure I do! So far, there's two of them. I will try to write a few more!

Opheliabrown12

Book released in August!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I guess that's the main point. Ideas?

I say try to improve the story. Make it as good as you can make it. Worry about word count afterward. If it's too short to be a novel, don't worry so much. Maybe your next project is the novel you were born to write.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's the main point. "Make it as good as you can make it." I am going to try to continue to tweek as long as it helps the characters develop. But not try to just add words to reach a certain page count. I am in love with my short story that comes after the novella. I have had good reviews on it. Need a few more good stories. Any ideas for young adult fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.