Stories in games

taichiquan.panda

not the popular one and ok with it
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just gonna throw it out there and admit I am a nerd, geek, whatever, and one of my fav past times is my Xbox 360. I'm and RPG/action-adventure fan (no, I don't LARP). :e2fight:

I started this thread because I noticed a few avatars from the Mass Effect series, which happens to rank in the top 3 for me. ME, Dragon Age, and Jade Empire were written by BioWare, who, while certainly in the middle of a shit-storm due to a hotly debated let-down ending, are some of the best story tellers I've ever seen.

I've played BioWare's games since Baldur's Gate, and the story-telling draws me in, captivates me, and literally brings tears to my eyes. Literally. When one of my squadmates sacrificed himself in ME3, I had to put the controller down and cried like I'd lost a friend. The characters BioWare's writers create become as real to me as any of my fav characters in print.

So how do you feel? Are there any games you are drawn to for story lines, "real life" characters, etc?

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
As far as computer games, I used to roleplay my characters in EQ and WoW. Those were the days, lemme tell ya...

There weren't many in-game stories that moved me, but most of the games I played that were primarily FPS pre-dated the really intricate stuff available now (e.g., Resident Evil, Doom, Neverwinter Nights, etc). I've seen others do walk-throughs of more recent games, but it's not really the same thing.

I suppose telling a moving story is all part of the art of this particular medium. I can appreciate it, even if it isn't something I participate in anymore. If I was still into playing computer games until the wee hours, I would most likely be drawn to another one where I could roleplay (MMO) or one with a great story.