A GORGEOUS description of romance novels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Just spotted this. Leon Wieseltier, the literary editor for The New Republic, observes:

“Sex is a spiritual obligation. It makes up for the poverty of bourgeois experience. We're too late for the Spanish Civil War. We missed the landing at Omaha Beach. But still we need to know what we're capable of. So it is in the realm of private life that we have to risk ourselves, to disclose ourselves, to vindicate ourselves; and the more private, the more illuminating. Our theater of self-discovery is smaller. And in this lucky but shrunken theater, the bedroom looms very large. It is the front line, the foxhole.”

“The bedroom is where people who live otherwise safe lives can learn how cowardly or courageous they are, what their deepest and most dangerous desires are, whether they can follow the unreason within them to what it, too, can teach. Tolstoy said that modern tragedy should be set in the bedroom.”

Couldn't have said it any better myself (actually, this is WAY better than I would have said it... ;) )

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, way better than I could have ever said it. :)

Thanks for sharing that with us, Cathy.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, Cathy! Thanks for sharing.

I don't usually do big sex in my books, which is why no one knows me and I have to work part time in a bookstore sometimes to pay bills <G> but like his perspective. Would, for myself, go so far as to substitute relationships for sex - because I think that's the real final frontier (with repects to Mad About You and Star Trek)

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (available everywhere now)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I love the quote Cathy C.

Thank you so much for sharing, and yes, that was said better than I could ever hope to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.