Primary Author - CreateSpace

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeBlack

Registered
Reaction score
CreateSpace looks to have a project service which helps you upload your book. I am not sure how this is different from formatting it myself.

I have been messing around with it but right away I am stuck because it asks me to list a primary author. My book has 25 chapters and 25 authors, and two editors, I am the first editor. Does that make me primary author?

What do people think about this project service at CreateSpace to get your book in their catalog?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Could you perhaps provide a link to the service that you're discussing, Coffee? That might help us work out what's going on.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
I'm guessing that it for an anthology you could use any of the author names in that field and this author will be the first on the list after "by" appears. Here's an example of where I'm guessing they decided they chose to fill the term "Various Authors" in the Primary Author field to avoid any single author getting that distinction:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1452851069/?tag=absowrit-20

So it's guesswork, but I think you can't really go wrong with which one you fill into that metadata. If you're nervous, email their customer service and ask for their advice for how to fill it in in your case.

(The project thing is beyond even guesswork...)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Createspace will format etc your book for you for a fee.

However, you can do it yourself, using their free templates, for nothing.

Which is what I recommend to do - you just open the template size you want into word and past your book into it and then upload it direct to the site.

It's pretty easy.

CoffeeBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Could you perhaps provide a link to the service that you're discussing, Coffee? That might help us work out what's going on.

I apologize for not being clear.

1. Go to the CreateSpace main page: https://www.createspace.com/

2. Click on "start a title for free"

3. Type in a title and choose "paperback"

4. Then, on the "Title Information" page I am asked to type in a primary author. Because I am new to this, I do not know the significance of this choice. As I said in the earlier post, I am the first of two editors of the book which has 25 authors. So, I don't want my colleagues and friends to view me as a publicity hog :)

But I also don't know who to put in there. It seems there should be an option for editors, not authors.

Any ideas?

CoffeeBlack

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it for an anthology you could use any of the author names in that field and this author will be the first on the list after "by" appears. Here's an example of where I'm guessing they decided they chose to fill the term "Various Authors" in the Primary Author field to avoid any single author getting that distinction:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1452851069/?tag=absowrit-20

So it's guesswork, but I think you can't really go wrong with which one you fill into that metadata. If you're nervous, email their customer service and ask for their advice for how to fill it in in your case.

(The project thing is beyond even guesswork...)

Wow, this is very helpful, thanks!

The way it is setup, I get the feeling that the people who designed CreateSpace don't actually use it. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but so many books every year are anthologies that there should be an "Edited by" option.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for not being clear.

1. Go to the CreateSpace main page: https://www.createspace.com/

2. Click on "start a title for free"

3. Type in a title and choose "paperback"

4. Then, on the "Title Information" page I am asked to type in a primary author. Because I am new to this, I do not know the significance of this choice. As I said in the earlier post, I am the first of two editors of the book which has 25 authors. So, I don't want my colleagues and friends to view me as a publicity hog :)

But I also don't know who to put in there. It seems there should be an option for editors, not authors.

Any ideas?

In an anthology type work - be that fiction, or academic etc, especially where there are many authors, you will usually find the editors are listed and not the authors, so you'd have

'The combined histories of cheese' edited by Cheesy Stilton and Runny Brie

for example

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Deleted member 42

Wow, this is very helpful, thanks!

The way it is setup, I get the feeling that the people who designed CreateSpace don't actually use it. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but so many books every year are anthologies that there should be an "Edited by" option.

That's actually handled in the metadata. This is not Amazon's own language choice, it's standard cataloging data terminology.

The "primary author" for an anthology is the editor. They're interested in the name associated with the book for bibliographic and cover purposes.

CDancourt

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I won't recommand using Createspace formatting services.

Formating the text is easy to do with MS word or any software you are using. Just select all your text at once, and select your font/size. Dent your text at the same time.

The process of creating a proper ebook is a bit long (a lot of back and forth with their "download preview" option until you have the results you want), but easy too.

Do it yourself and save your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.