PDA

View Full Version : For the love of Pete(r O'Toole), no...just no.

firedrake
08-15-2012, 11:09 PM
No. Just. No. This is all kinds of wrong.

Pattinson to play Lawrence of Arabia (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug/15/robert-pattinson-lawrence-arabia)

Niniva
08-15-2012, 11:12 PM
He, sir, is no Rudolph Valentino...

Stiger05
08-15-2012, 11:15 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

Le sigh.

On a related note, I just don't see what the majority of females seem to see here. I don't find him the least bit attractive. He seems like a nice enough guy from the (very few) interviews I've seen, but physically? Nope. Now Ryan Gosling on the other hand...swoon...

firedrake
08-15-2012, 11:16 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

Le sigh.

On a related note, I just don't see what the majority of females seem to see here. I don't find him the least bit attractive. He seems like a nice enough guy from the (very few) interviews I've seen, but physically? Nope. Now Ryan Gosling on the other hand...swoon...

I've never understood the appeal either. He looks like he had an argument with the broad side of a bus and lost.

Jcomp
08-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Eh, I don't think Pattinson's been bad in the stuff I've seen him in, and it's not a remake, and I have faith in Werner Herzog.

scarletpeaches
08-15-2012, 11:21 PM
I ordered Becket from Amazon and...and...

GAH.

I'm sure Toothpaste will agree with me on this; we've spoken about Peter O'Toole's comic timing and how much of a looker he was in his day.

Becket. This is the guy who was robbed of an Oscar for, among many other films, Becket.

And...and...

GAH! NO! *headdesk*

(PS: rpattz is looking hot since the split, by the way. But he can still fuck right off from this role, the jumped-up little twerp.)

fireluxlou
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Well remember when they cast Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_The_Sands_of_Time_(film)) Hollywood always whitewashes characters look what they did to the Hunger Games. PoC barely ever get lead PoC roles in major Hollywood franchises, unless they are Will Smith I suppose.

scarletpeaches
08-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Everyone who visits this thread: please, please, please see Becket. I'm gonna keep banging on about this film until you all do. It's superb.

Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton's screen pairing is...it's just perfect.

Jcomp
08-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Well remember when they cast Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_The_Sands_of_Time_(film)) Hollywood always whitewashes characters look what they did to the Hunger Games. PoC barely ever get lead PoC roles in major Hollywood franchises, unless they are Will Smith I suppose.

T.E. Lawrence, the character Pattinson will be playing, was super-white.

KateSmash
08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Everyone who visits this thread: please, please, please see Becket. I'm gonna keep banging on about this film until you all do. It's superb.

Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton's screen pairing is...it's just perfect.

Just quoting this so y'all get the message. :D

I don't get the appeal of RPatz, but I do trust Herzog as a director. And it's not like it's a remake and, yeah, TE Lawrence was white as the day is long. Still, not sure if RPatz can fill Valentino's shoes. Then again, how many people these days are even aware of Lawrence of Arabia and Rudolph Valentino?

Sheryl Nantus
08-16-2012, 12:32 AM
bleah.

I wish they'd stop casting flavor-of-the-month boys to play good parts.

idiots.

thothguard51
08-16-2012, 12:32 AM
T E Lawrence had a British accent, no?

Are there no British actors that could have fit the role?

Stiger05
08-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Pattinson is British.

Still not right for the role, though.

fireluxlou
08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
T.E. Lawrence, the character Pattinson will be playing, was super-white.

My bad :D

He looks like Benedict Cumberbatch

Toothpaste
08-16-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm less concerned about pattinson than them making a remake. There are some films where it's all about the story and premise and you can retell that story and premise in different ways many times. But then there are films that are art in and of themselves. That are about the filmmaking itself.

Remaking this film is like remaking CITIZEN KANE. It is absurd, unnecessary, and ... absurd.

That all being said...they aren't remaking the film. Probably because most would agree with me. He looks to be a secondary character in the story of another character's life. Of course Pattinson will have a hell of a task living up to O'Toole's performance.

Also, yes, SP I would absolutely agree with you. And Pattinson doesn't have one thousandth of O'Toole's charm.

firedrake
08-16-2012, 01:30 AM
It's not a remake. It's a film about Gertrude Bell.

scarletpeaches
08-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Nevertheless, remake or not, everyone see Becket. Or I'll send KateSmash and Toothpaste round to duff you up. :D

Manuel Royal
08-17-2012, 06:21 AM

Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton's screen pairing is...it's just perfect.Not exactly historically accurate, but a great version of the play.

Look, it's about time someone made a movie about Gertrude Bell. Given that it's Werner Herzog, God knows what we'll get, but it'll be interesting.

And, if you're making a movie about Gertrude Bell, you might well need someone to play T.E. Lawrence. If you don't like Robert Pattison, whom would you cast in that role?

mscelina
08-17-2012, 06:55 AM
First off, I love Becket--and the other great portrayal O'Toole did of Henry II, The Lion in Winter. If you haven't seen either movie, you should.

That being said--

I remember four occasions in my life when I raised hell over the casting of an actor in a role. One was Tom Cruise playing Lestat in Interview With a Vampire--I stand by my objections there. Cruise can't play himself without camping it up. Then there was Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. Yeah...enough said.

Third was Mel Gibson as Hamlet. I was working professionally in theater and on a dark day we went to laugh at Gibson taking on the Bard. We didn't laugh during the movie, though, and I still think his interpretation of Hamlet's famous soliloquy is probably the best I've seen on stage or film. I wasn't surprised he went apeshit bigoted crazy, but I think we can all agree that Gibson's career after Mad Max and Lethal Weapon really created memorable characters in outstanding film drama--Braveheart and The Patriot are both outstanding films.

The final major objection I had to a famous bit of casting was Leonardo Dicaprio in The Aviator. I had no doubts that Cate Blanchett's Katharine Hepburn (best actress ever and who I hope I am when I finally grow up) would blow Dicaprio's OCD Howard Hughes right off the screen. Much to my surprise, however, Dicaprio not only held his own but carried the movie, and the woman who'd laughed LOUDLY during the opening night of Titanic when Rose, floating in the ocean, says "I'll never let you go" just as she LETS THAT ANNOYING BOY GO by prying his frozen hand from hers with the same sound that ripping the paper off a popsicle makes, had to eat her words.

While all of this is funny and stuff, here's my point: Robert Pattinson is a very talented young actor and musician. I saw Water For Elephants and came away fairly impressed with his work. I'm going to withhold judgment on Pattinson's ability to play such a role until I've seen the movie. Just because he was in Harry Potter and Twilight franchise movies doesn't mean he's incapable of playing an epic role like Lawrence of Arabia. Katherine Hepburn was once labeled 'box office poison'--and she is the recipient of four Best Actress Oscars. Up above, folks were complaining about this casting and citing reasons like race and Pattinson's country of origin--making it fairly obvious that they were unfamiliar with both Lawrence's story and Pattison's. Complaining just for the sake of complaining isn't all that helpful, especially when it's fairly obvious that Pattison is being judged wanting as the result of the work he's already done.

Being in the two biggest money making film franchises of the last decade is a pretty damn impressive resume credit.

After all, it's not like he's Tom Cruise or anything. And after years as a professional actor and director, I can flatly say that sometimes the very best actor for a role is the one who is cast against type. Just sayin'.

firedrake
08-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I guess I'm just not seeing Pattinson playing:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/ripleyMM/OWS/te_lawrence_of_arabia.jpg

Archerbird
08-17-2012, 01:01 PM
No. Just. No. This is all kinds of wrong.

Pattinson to play Lawrence of Arabia (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug/15/robert-pattinson-lawrence-arabia)

No.
No.
No!

Someone will have to pay for this.

(Also: :ROFL:)

regdog
08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Noooooo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s)

Soccer Mom
08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Eh, I'm willing to wait and see how he does. People can surprise you.

But may I fall down with joy now that they are making a movie about Gertrude Bell?

*swoons*

firedrake
08-17-2012, 04:50 PM
But may I fall down with joy now that they are making a movie about Gertrude Bell?

*swoons*

Ha! Same here!

Celia Cyanide
08-18-2012, 05:20 AM
The final major objection I had to a famous bit of casting was Leonardo Dicaprio in The Aviator. I had no doubts that Cate Blanchett's Katharine Hepburn (best actress ever and who I hope I am when I finally grow up) would blow Dicaprio's OCD Howard Hughes right off the screen. Much to my surprise, however, Dicaprio not only held his own but carried the movie, and the woman who'd laughed LOUDLY during the opening night of Titanic when Rose, floating in the ocean, says "I'll never let you go" just as she LETS THAT ANNOYING BOY GO by prying his frozen hand from hers with the same sound that ripping the paper off a popsicle makes, had to eat her words.

I think Pattinson gets a bum rap for his involvement with Twilight, just as DiCaprio did for Titanic. I haven't seen much from Pattinson, and from what I did see of Twilight, he was awful. But he has chosen some interesting roles since then, and he had the good taste to work with David Cronenberg. I think he may surprise us.