PDA

View Full Version : Sending revisions on a full

Taylor
08-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I've had a full out for like five weeks but I've done a bunch of revisions. Nothing plot oriented but all just sort of cleaning it up.

Is it appropriate to send this newer version to the agent? I thought maybe in case she hasn't gotten to it yet, she could read this version instead, or something.

What do you all think? Thanks!

WeaselFire
08-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Why would you send out a full when it wasn't ready. :)

If you send a revision, it's likely you won't get either version read. The agent will wait until at least revision 26 or so. Never send anything until it's as ready as it ever will be.

Jeff

Taylor
08-15-2012, 11:52 PM
It was ready. It's just more ready now.

OctoberLee
08-16-2012, 12:05 AM
I think it looks kind of unprofessional. I think you should cross your fingers and hope that they like it enough to call you. Then, if they list some revisions they'd like to see, you can say "oh gee, I just couldn't keep my hands off it, I already fixed A and B." Otherwise, it's just more clutter for their inbox.

Best of luck!

Taylor
08-16-2012, 12:09 AM
^^^
Yeah I'll do that. Thanks!

DeborahN
08-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm in the same position. I have a bunch of partials out and a few fulls. I think only one of the fulls has a chance. I got some great feedback from two other agents, rejects, of course, but they both said it was close. I'm working on the middle of the book which doesn't affect the partials, but I'm so tempted to resend the full. I have met this particular agent so I don't think she'll dismiss it out of hand.

As for the comment that it shouldn't get sent until it's ready? I agree it can be ready and later...more ready. You can always improve but unless it is a major plot issue, I'd like to think the right agent can see past those things.

grover4232
08-17-2012, 10:12 PM
I've sent agents revisions after sending them my full ms lots of times, and they have all responded positively. I usually say something like, "I thought I'd send this revised draft along in case you haven't gotten to my original submission yet." Even if they have started reading, they seem to appreciate the fact that I'm revising and keeping them in the loop.

I don't know that a book is ever really ready! Whose that famous writer that said something like, "A book is never finished, only abandoned?" I totally agree. I could revise a ms forever.

grover4232
08-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm in the same position. I have a bunch of partials out and a few fulls. I think only one of the fulls has a chance. I got some great feedback from two other agents, rejects, of course, but they both said it was close. I'm working on the middle of the book which doesn't affect the partials, but I'm so tempted to resend the full. I have met this particular agent so I don't think she'll dismiss it out of hand.

I would give it a try! Worst case scenario, she'll ignore the email and just read the draft she has.

Just Me 2021
08-17-2012, 10:45 PM
I've sent revised versions off a full request before, and I got an offer of representation off it. So don't be afraid. Explain that you've made some improvements and wanted to give her your best work. Just don't do it again!

Kayley
08-17-2012, 11:38 PM
A separate but related question: what if you have a couple of fulls out and get a R&R? After making the changes from the R&R, would it be appropriate to offer the new version to the other agents? It wouldn't necessarily be that the MS wasn't ready when it was sent - it could just be that the agent requesting R&R wanted something different. And maybe the other agents will like the "different" version better too.

I'm not in this situation - I haven't even started querying for this MS - but the question came to my mind while reading this thread.

Katrina S. Forest
08-18-2012, 12:12 AM
A separate but related question: what if you have a couple of fulls out and get a R&R? After making the changes from the R&R, would it be appropriate to offer the new version to the other agents? It wouldn't necessarily be that the MS wasn't ready when it was sent - it could just be that the agent requesting R&R wanted something different. And maybe the other agents will like the "different" version better too.

I'm not in this situation - I haven't even started querying for this MS - but the question came to my mind while reading this thread.

I've been in this situation. But the R&R changes weren't small, they took months. (Which, in my mind is what an R&R should be. If the agent only saw minor problems that could be fixed in a few days, that would probably be an offer, not an R&R.)

Bottom line, the agents with the full were done reading long before the revisions were done.

Undercover
08-18-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm in this boat right now. I'm in the process of doing revisions for an agent, but have 3 fulls and one partial out. I have no choice but to wait to fix everything, (which I think will take me about a month) first before I finish, so I can't give them the revised copy. But my point is, (like Katrina mentions) they will have read the original full copy before the revisions were ever even made. Sure if they respond and decline, I could say I have a revised copy in case they want to look at, but I am not going to alert them there is, or will be a revised one now. Who knows, there's still a chance I could get an offer from the original, ya know?

DeborahN
08-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Update..I did send my revised MS to two agents, one I haven't heard from in 3 months (pitched at a conference) the other one I have a good feeling about. Worded it something like, "I've done a bit of work on my MS, no plot changes, just tweaking. If you haven't read it, thought you might like my new and improved version..."

The agent I have a good feeling about sent me an email back saying something like, "I plan on reading it in september, thanks for the new version."

So don't be afraid to send it.

On a similar subject, I realized after sending a query I neglected to include the word count. When I noticed (2 minutes later), I sent another email saying, "forgot to mention the word count, hope this omission doesn't knock me out of consideration," or something like that.

She requested a partial.

Agents are people too. I think they are mostly reasonable.

GuruLord
08-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Update..I did send my revised MS to two agents, one I haven't heard from in 3 months (pitched at a conference) the other one I have a good feeling about. Worded it something like, "I've done a bit of work on my MS, no plot changes, just tweaking. If you haven't read it, thought you might like my new and improved version..."

The agent I have a good feeling about sent me an email back saying something like, "I plan on reading it in september, thanks for the new version."

So don't be afraid to send it.

On a similar subject, I realized after sending a query I neglected to include the word count. When I noticed (2 minutes later), I sent another email saying, "forgot to mention the word count, hope this omission doesn't knock me out of consideration," or something like that.

She requested a partial.

Agents are people too. I think they are mostly reasonable.

Ill throw out that I was in a similar situation. My MS has been ready for the last 2 months, but then after a debate session with one of my close friends and beta reader, I added a minor change (didn't really affect my plot, was more like a build up device).

I already had a full out to one agent, but I really wanted her to read the update. So i bit the bullet and sent it out.

Sure enough, same reaction, and she was happy that I sent the updated version for her to read. I think it showed the agent that I was still on top of my book and trying to make it as perfect as possible. But now Im back to playing the waiting game for whenever my fulls decide to get read lol.

Agreed with the above - agents are people too.