PDA

View Full Version : It's started already

scarletpeaches
08-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Yesterday, when I went to my local corner shop (which isn't actually on a corner, but shut up) I saw a display stand of Christmas confections.

Yes. Christmas. In August. Tubes of M&Ms, Jelly Tots and the like, for a pound. Om nom nom, yes? But it's AUGUST.

Last year, I remember seeing Christmas cards in a discount bookshop in September and I said to my dad, "Huh. I bet next year all that shit starts in August."

I didn't think it would actually happen.

I'm so pissed off I just sent a couple of friends an email in large-print Comic Sans.

Caitlin Black
08-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Eek!

But hey, at least there were cheap M&Ms. :)

scarletpeaches
08-15-2012, 01:57 AM
I want to punch someone now. Mind, that's pretty much my default setting.

Caitlin Black
08-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Just be glad you don't work in retail during Christmas...

I did last year. From October till Christmas Eve, it was non-stop. Blech.

scarletpeaches
08-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Just be glad you don't work in retail during Christmas...

I did last year. From October till Christmas Eve, it was non-stop. Blech.I have.

*shudder*

Wicked
08-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way . . .

:tongue

fireluxlou
08-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Not Christmas stuff yet for me but Halloween stuff has started seeping in to retail.

sneakysnail
08-15-2012, 02:10 AM

Me too!!! :box:

Caitlin Black
08-15-2012, 02:46 AM
I have.

*shudder*

Oh... It sucks, doesn't it?

I mean, I like shopping, so buying presents for people is something I'm fine with... But being chained to a cash register during Christmas. Eek!

I think my stint in retail has soured me on the shopping experience a little bit, though.

Probably a good thing... Means I'll spend less money. :tongue

taichiquan.panda
08-15-2012, 02:49 AM

Ah, and here I thought that was my default setting.

:D

Flagship
08-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Eee-yuk.
I do seasonal work for UPS as a driver helper during christmas.
That's about as bad as it gets without being Santa.

Mclesh
08-15-2012, 03:43 AM
When I was on Catalina Island (off the coast of Southern California) last summer, I saw Santa Claus sunning on the beach. It seemed right. At least I think it was St. Nick. He had a long white beard, Santa hat, Hawaiian shirt, and spectacles.

But I don't want to see Christmas in August or September. Not until November really. I don't like it when holidays collide. It's weird.

LJD
08-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Uggh. I hate that. Do people actually buy Christmas stuff in August??

HarryHoskins
08-15-2012, 04:07 AM
...But I don't want to see Christmas in August ...

I, on the other hand, have paid to see April in June.

As for Christmas decorations in shops in August -- well, the Scots have to have something to look forward to. Apparently they have deep fried Creme Eggs in the fryers a good four months before Easter just so they can get through Christmas.

Bless their dour little steel toe capped socks.

Alpha Echo
08-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Why can't people enjoy where they are? UGH! Wow. I've never seen it that early, though I'm sure we'll start seeing Halloween stuff soon. If it's not out already.

Mclesh
08-15-2012, 04:23 AM
As for Christmas decorations in shops in August -- well, the Scots have to have something to look forward to. Apparently they have deep fried Creme Eggs in the fryers a good four months before Easter just so they can get through Christmas.

I'm not sure what this is. Should I be afraid?

HarryHoskins
08-15-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm not sure what this is. Should I be afraid?

Only for your cholesterol.

Komnena
08-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Mclesh
08-15-2012, 04:43 AM
I like chocolate creme eggs.

rhymegirl
08-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way........

jjdebenedictis
08-15-2012, 04:51 AM
It's hardly Christmas spirit if someone gifts you with Jelly Tots that break your teeth and taste like erasers because they're five months old.

dangerousbill
08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Yesterday, when I went to my local corner shop (which isn't actually on a corner, but shut up) I saw a display stand of Christmas confections.

Yup. We got our first two Christmas catalogs in the mail last week. They won't fit in my shredder, sadly.

But I am preparing for Christmas now. Since I've been learning silversmithing this year, I can ply my relatives with worthless gemstones surrounded by misshapen, burned metal. I can watch them pretend to be grateful, which is my gift to myself.

BenPanced
08-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Not Christmas stuff yet for me but Halloween stuff has started seeping in to retail.
But that makes sense. It's August 15, so that leaves two and a half months to get ready.

Then again, I haven't been to a mall since February so I'm not sure if the Hallmark stores have their annual collectable ornament displays up yet.

And if you need to start shopping on August 15 in order to get ready for Christmas? Lord help you because I sure can't.

(I think some places are already putting up stuff for Easter 2014...)

But the question remains: are you sure it's not stuff left over from last Christmas they've never put away?

katci13
08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
This is funny. I haven't seen any yet. I don't like to see Christmas stuff until November 1st. Any earlier than that and I feel like I'm being chased by tinsel that's going to track me down and choke me in my sleep.

Chasing the Horizon
08-15-2012, 11:25 AM
...being chased by tinsel that's going to track me down and choke me in my sleep.
Can I have this idea for a story?

Tinsel is the only thing I like about Christmas. It's sort of like long, sparkly confetti, only better because it gets wrapped around the rollers of the vacuum cleaner when you try to clean it up. Oddly, my mother has banned me on pain of death from bringing tinsel into her house . . .

fireluxlou
08-15-2012, 11:33 AM
But that makes sense. It's August 15, so that leaves two and a half months to get ready.

Then again, I haven't been to a mall since February so I'm not sure if the Hallmark stores have their annual collectable ornament displays up yet.

And if you need to start shopping on August 15 in order to get ready for Christmas? Lord help you because I sure can't.

(I think some places are already putting up stuff for Easter 2014...)

But the question remains: are you sure it's not stuff left over from last Christmas they've never put away?

yea I know but in the UK it's not even a big thing. no one does trick or treating really it's only the shops that make a deal out of it. schools may do halloween parties. so I'm always baffled by the fuss over it. Though I'm looking forward to when they start selling pumpkin pie for halloween.

Caitlin Black
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
We had tons of Halloween stuff here last year. I got 1 (yes, 1 O-N-E, 1) trick-or-treater.

Frankly, I'd prefer it if every holiday was Halloween.

BigWords
08-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Oooh. I'm going in to town later.

I really hope they have mince pies... :D

Mr Flibble
08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
I think my record for seeing early Christmas stuff was when I got a catalogue through, you know, that sell all the wrapping paper and hampers etc.

It turned up on Midsummer's Day. I very nearly rang the number just to tell them to bog off for four months

GailD
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks.

I now have craving for mince pies.

This is so not fair!

JimmyB27
08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
This year, my local Co-op had the Easter stuff out while they still had discounted stuff left over from Christmas on the shelves.
No Christmas stuff yet though.

Mr Flibble
08-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, when I went to work on Boxing Day head office decreed we'd be putting out Easter stuff....

JimmyB27
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Just be glad you aren't in Heaven, where it's Christmas every day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZYIyySxPE).

BigWords
08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
I went. I looked. I couldn't find Christmas chocolates, mince pies or, for that matter, any fancy goodies of a festive nature... I did find marshmallows, so my "five a day" is sorted for the next week.

Wicked
08-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Though I joked about Jingle Bells, there is clearly only one holiday song appropriate for such an early invasion of cheer and goodwill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=popPQmikR9w

Lavern08
08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Just be glad you aren't in Heaven, where it's Christmas every day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZYIyySxPE).

Hated it ^ http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Jess Haines
08-15-2012, 11:56 PM
*adjusts jingly reindeer antlers* It's that time of year already?!

...oh, wait.

*pulls off antlers, sulks*

scarletpeaches
08-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Most Christmassy thing I ever did? Ate some grapes and kept the stalks, then taped them to my hamster's head to look like antlers.

Bah humbug.

Snowstorm
08-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Yuck. Another reason to hate summer ... and shopping in general.

thothguard51
08-16-2012, 01:57 AM
I do all my shopping on Dec 24th. My friends and family know not to on the roads, shopping or in my way. Heaven help the person who slows me down...

rhymegirl
08-16-2012, 03:27 AM
I just put up my Christmas tree.

just kidding.

rhymegirl
08-16-2012, 03:28 AM
I do all my shopping on Dec 24th. My friends and family know not to on the roads, shopping or in my way. Heaven help the person who slows me down...

Ooh, I bet the retail people just love you.

Not.

BenPanced
08-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Every day is Halloween! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0r2xpGT4fQ)

KTC
08-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Yes. Christmas. In August. Tubes of M&Ms, Jelly Tots and the like, for a pound. Om nom nom, yes? But it's AUGUST.

Last year, I remember seeing Christmas cards in a discount bookshop in September and I said to my dad, "Huh. I bet next year all that shit starts in August."

I didn't think it would actually happen.

I'm so pissed off I just sent a couple of friends an email in large-print Comic Sans.

i cry foul. and fowl. if it's not a corner shop, don't bloody well call it a corner shop. 4 from the corner shop or halfway to the corner shop. but don't be a truth stretcher and then put it on US and tell us to shut up because you don't bloody well know what to call it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scarletpeaches
08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
If the shops on either side of it didn't exist, and the street was a few hundred feet shorter, it WOULD be a corner shop so THERE.

JimmyB27
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
A corner shop isn't just any shop on a corner. It's a very specific type of shop that just happens to often be on a corner.

KTC
08-16-2012, 04:19 PM
If the shops on either side of it didn't exist, and the street was a few hundred feet shorter, it WOULD be a corner shop so THERE.

yeah. but it ain't. so it isn't. FACE!

KTC
08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
A corner shop isn't just any shop on a corner. It's a very specific type of shop that just happens to often be on a corner.

don't f*ck with daddy. he'll put you in a round corner shop and tell you to sit in the corner.

scarletpeaches
08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
What if I filled it full of dead people and called it a coroner shop?

KTC
08-16-2012, 04:23 PM
What if I filled it full of dead people and called it a coroner shop?

the place would go tits up pretty quickly!

Mr Flibble
08-16-2012, 05:15 PM
don't f*ck with daddy. he'll put you in a round corner shop and tell you to sit in the corner.

/raywinstone

/sockfullofsnookerballs

Who's the daddy now?