Do you have a writing ritual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehjookayted

Registered
Reaction score
It's like a pre-game ritual in sports; everyone must have a certain set-up for when they plan to write seriously, right?

Maybe I'm just crazy like this though, and sometimes I do get great ideas and just jot them down wherever I am, but does anyone else have to be in a set-up for writing long pieces or editing their WIP?

I generally like to be at my desk with some ambient music in the background as well as a nice cup of coffee. For some reason, that combo just gives me lots of great ideas and really helps my writing out. I guess I'm just a creature of habit.

What about you guys?

Reaction score
I need silence to write. Other than that, no great needs. It can be in my office or in the living room, laptop or netbook.

Caffeine is a boon, though.

Pallas Athene

Registered
Reaction score
I can write anywhere, but there has to be background noise, whether it's a podcast or music. If I'm plotting things and using pen and paper the paper must be college rule and the pen a Pilot V5 Extra Fine. Anything else and it's like an itch you just can't scratch, and it drives me nuts before I can get much of anything accomplished.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
All I need is a keyboard, a notebook beside me for random notes, and my imagination. But, occasionally, coffee (cup size 14 ounces at the very least) does help get me going. :) Music can either help me or distract me, depending on what is playing.

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
I second the cup of coffee. And if I'm serious about getting some real work done, I leave the house and go to the library.

For me personally, I feel I have to be careful about rituals, because those might turn into excuses. And I'm very good at making excuses :)

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Starting a story:

Sometimes I jot down a few notes about what I think the story is. Sometimes a paragraph. Sometimes a little more. Often nothing.

Then I start writing. At the end of a day's work, I may jot a note about what I think comes next.

Continuing a story:

Next writing session, I'll usually look back a bit at what I previously wrote, just to get myself back into the groove of where I was going and what I was doing, then start writing. This look back is never very far back, by the way. Then I write till done for the day, tack another note on the end about what I was up to, what I think comes next. Continue till done.

Environment:

I don't often write with music. I've tried it. Doesn't really work for me. I hear the story in my head, anyway, so it comes with its own sound.

But I do like to have a pot of tea at hand, not just a cup, and I tend to drink lots of it.

Where I write doesn't really matter. When I'm in a story, that pretty much soaks up all of my attention. But in general, I do like to write with my feet up. Maybe that's because I have big feet. I need all that extra blood pooling in my head.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Fresh coffee, clean ashtray, smokes at hand, TV in the background, no one else around - I'm set.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a ritual. It goes something like this:

1. Start a new day by saying, "I don't feel like writing today."
2. Get ready for day. "You gotta do some writing whether you like it or not."
3. Go to room, put box on bed, laptop on box. Plug in laptop and turn on. Start typing and jogging at the same time.
4. "Can't we do something else?"
5. "No, shut the fuck up."
6. Keep writing while listening to the lazy bastard in my head scream for mercy.
7. "Oh, this is actually kind of fun." Proceed to write at least 1800 words.

Whether it's fiction or nonfiction, I go through this ritual every time. Puts me in the right frame of mind. ;)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I need silence too. Ambient noise--wind, traffic--is OK, but if there's music or someone is talking, I can't concentrate.

Other than that, my writing ritual mainly consists of procrastination. There is no optimum amount; it varies by the day. It's how I get most of the housework done.

- Victoria

Reaction score
I need silence too. Ambient noise--wind, traffic--is OK, but if there's music or someone is talking, I can't concentrate.

Other than that, my writing ritual mainly consists of procrastination. There is no optimum amount; it varies by the day. It's how I get most of the housework done.

- Victoria
Are you me? You are, aren't you?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

Sheesh. I hate it when one of the voices leaps out and starts posting on AW... :rolleyes:

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I find an all-black dog with one white hair. I slit its throat at the stroke of midnight at a crossroads under the full moon and bathe naked in its blood.

Doesn't everyone?

Damn it, I've been doing it wrong!

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I write better after I've done some physical activity. If I get hung up in my writing, I go for a walk or do some exercise and get refreshed.

Also, I'm a morning writer and an evening editor.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sit. Screw around online. Remind myself that I'm there to write. Screw around for a few more minutes. Write.

I don't care if it's dead silent or if there's background noise as long as no one is talking at me, or screaming (toddlers in public places. Grr). Music is okay, or not. Sometimes my kid has a movie on in the next room, which is also fine. I used to always write to the Pirates of the Caribbean playing in the next room, but for some reason I stopped.

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
My ritual changes from manuscript to manuscript. A couple of years ago, I went through a stage of writing by hand with different coloured pens. I actually swapped colours every paragraph or so to keep it interesting. For another MS, I typed straight into Scrivener (sitting formally at a writing desk with my laptop).

Currently, I write on the couch with my iPad and a bluetooth keyboard. For some reason my protagonist's voice is flowing more naturally in the more relaxed setting… which is odd, because the plot for this MS is certainly not relaxing!

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have a ritual. With as crazy as my writing schedule is, trying to make something ritualistic is impossible. I sometimes write with music, other times in silence. Sometimes I'm in my office, other times in bed or on the couch. Sometimes the tv's on. Sometimes I go sit outside. And I write whenever I have time--no set schedule. I usually have coffee, but that's because I drink it all day long.

Sit. Screw around online. Remind myself that I'm there to write. Screw around for a few more minutes. Write.

Oops. I guess I actually have a ritual afterall :).

Status
Not open for further replies.