• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Please help me with my ghost story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
The basics: Novel, 90,000 words, three drafts, and I've been living with this story for four years. I've sent it out once and been rejected, and before I send it out again I would really appreciate some help. It's been read by peer readers who have liked it a lot, but I've been living with it for so long that I'm having a hard time telling.

I'll try to keep this post short, and just say that it's a ghost story, where the ghost in question is made as "real" as possble, drawing from the work of Hans Holzer as inspiration. I'm having a hard time with genre, as it's not scary enough for horror, and not sexy enough for romance. It's an internal kind of story, with a protagonist who is having trouble moving on following the death of her father. A ghost haunts her apartment house: a man who hasn't moved on after his own death. They are able to help one another get through the issues that keep them in their ruts. And even though I've gotten positive feedback from lots of people, I still get this nagging feeling that it's not enough of a story because there are no car chases or threatened lives. :)

If anyone is willing to look at at least the first couple chapters and my synopsis (which I'm currently retooling), and tell me if this is something that might be saleable, that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance...

-jen

Status
Not open for further replies.