contacting authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
How often do you contact authors to tell them you like their stuff? With the Internet it is pretty easy to find a way to get in touch with just about anyone. Is there anything wrong with this or is it okay to track someone down to tell them you think they are great?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. Some folk don't want to be contacted at all, they see it as an invasion of their privacy and space. Some folk love to have contact with their readers and are active on social media etc.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I finished a book tonight and looked at the author's website. He's on Twitter, so I sent him a tweet saying something like: great book, engrossing and intelligent, will look for more of yours. He tweeted back in less than half an hour saying thank you and glad you liked it.

I haven't written a letter to an author in decades, and I rarely use Twitter, but the tweet seemed easy and like a natural use of that medium.

If they have a website or blog with comments turned on, or if they're on Twitter, I'd say go for it. They're making themselves available. Just don't be unprofessional or stalkerish.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If an author doesn't have a website or Twitter account you can always write a real letter to their agent or publisher. They're nice to receive.

Reaction score
I've done this by email; it's more personal than banging off a tweet, I think.

I exchanged a few emails recently with an author I've liked for years. Her books have been re-released on Kindle, and I contacted her to tell her how glad I was to have her novels on my ereader now.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've done it a couple of times. Once years ago before the advent of the internet. We exchanged letters and became friends. We still keep in touch, now and again.

Then, a few months back, I discovered that one of my favourite authors from back in the seventies (yes, I'm that old) had a web site. Her writing had a huge influence on mine and so I dropped her an email telling her how much I loved her books (and still do) and had a lovely email back about an hour later. It absolutely made my day.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I've done it by email, livejournal, twitter and here :p.

I once had a great conversation with Jeremy de Quidt by email because I really loved his debut book and was excited for the next which is released or due to be released soon. So we chatted through email quite a bit.

I contacted R.J. Anderson once through livejournal to praise her book, she was nice.

I tend to @ on twitter some authors if I really enjoy their book and find their twitter.

I met Jenny Sullivan at the library once and she was nice. I've met quite a few authors due to signings.

I met Michael Tod author of The Dorset Squirrels when I was a little 'un he was friends with my grandma. I have a signed book by him.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've done it a couple of times on Twitter or on a blog comment. As long as you're polite and brief, I think it's OK. Someone tweeted to me that they were enjoying my book. Which was nicer than a poke in the eye.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I had a writing dilemma a few months ago and needed advice, so I contacted an author I admire through her website's contact form. She wrote me back a very nice e-mail with some thoughtful advice. I was touched that she took the time to help out a stranger.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... contacted Jean Craighead George last year to tell her I'm a fan.
Happened upon her website and was pleased to learn she's still in the biz.
(My favorite YA author.)

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
How often do you contact authors to tell them you like their stuff? With the Internet it is pretty easy to find a way to get in touch with just about anyone. Is there anything wrong with this or is it okay to track someone down to tell them you think they are great?

That's a message any writer would be delighted to receive, regardless of how well or little known they are.

Writers who give contact info on their websites are clearly open to receiving email from fans. Those who give only their agent's contact info may be less so--I wouldn't chase around trying to get an email address for a writer who conceals it.

I occasionally write to writers whose books I particularly enjoyed, and they're invariably pleased to hear it. Who doesn't love a compliment, especially from a colleague or truly discerning reader?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I usually wait until I meet that writer in person, or until a natural correspondence happens. But I have written to authors twice because something that wrote was just insolent well-written and meaningful.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once wrote a snail mail letter to an author in care of his publisher. To compliment him on a non fiction book he had written, even though he is/was wildly successful in fiction. I honestly did not expect to receive a response. So imagine my delight when I received a hand written reply, enclosing one page of the typed first draft of the book. And his home address was on the envelope. At the time he lived about two miles from me, although I think he has moved since then.

MM

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
A few years ago, I contacted two authors whose work I admire. Explained how much I was influnenced by their work and mentioned that my own debut novel was coming out. Both were gracious enough to pen back cover blurbs for the book.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
... contacted Jean Craighead George last year to tell her I'm a fan.
Happened upon her website and was pleased to learn she's still in the biz.
(My favorite YA author.)
She was one of my favorites as a kid, but I think she died earlier this year. She was in her nineties.

I have a website with a contact email, as do most of the authors I know. It's always nice to get an email from someone who loves your work. Why wouldn't it be?

If I were famous I might be overwhelmed with emails, but I'm not, so I answer every email I get, and have actually made a couple of friends and continued correspondence.

I myself wrote a fan email to fantasy writer Sean Stewart because he wrote a book that I would have given anything to have written, and he (like most writers) responded very graciously.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've written to authors I admire and I've been written, which was flabbergastingly awesome. I also facebook 'liked' a couple of my absolute favorites, and they're charming.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Honestly as an Author, fan mail is the best! I've only had the luxury of getting a few emails thus far, but it's always made my day. I tend to get more tweets because it's quick.

I think it's absolutely great to contact someone. Just use their email, contact form on their blog, facebook or something like that. Whatever is made easily available to the public. I wouldn't say track down their personal mailing address or phone number... that's probably taboo. But anything else is fine.

I've also got a few of my most admired authors on Facebook as friends, they are awesome and even comment on my status' once and a while, throwing out cheers or answering questions. It's the best.

My latest find is an author who I didn't know existed until I joined an online read-a-thon, next thing I know, we're FB friends, we've chatted back and forth here and there and she's even going to let me interview her for my blog when the read-a-thon is done! Very top notch of her!!!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
She was one of my favorites as a kid, but I think she died earlier this year. She was in her nineties.

... wasn't aware of that. Just went to her site, again. Mentions it. Saddened by the loss. There are still a couple of early novels by her that I haven't read which have long since gone out of print. Tried tracking them down once. Will make a renewed effort. Thnx for letting me know.

TWErvin2

Raises Turtles in his Basement
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ervin-author.com
I've contacted over the years about a dozen authors. Got a couple replies even though that wasn't the motivation to contact the author.

I've received some contacts about my novels or short stories out of the blue through my website as well. They're pretty neat, and I've always taken a moment to reply to the readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.