PDA

View Full Version : German Mistress

Kenn
08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
German speakers, I'm aware there are several words in German that mean 'mistress'. The one I'm looking for is in a BDSM sense - i.e., how a slave might address his mistress. Would 'Meine Frauchen' be possible, or would 'Meine Maitresse' be more usual (or anything else, for that matter)? Also, how would the term be capitalised (i.e., would it be meine Maitresse?)?

TudorRose
08-11-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't really move in those circles ;), but I think it would be meine (lower case) Herrin (always capitalised).

The results of a google image search of that phrase backs this up, but perhaps someone who leads a more exciting life than I do will be along to confirm.

Kenn
08-12-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't really move in those circles...
But you obviously know more about them than I do ;)

Seriously, thanks, this is much appreciated.

senka
08-13-2012, 02:54 PM
The right term is Herrin (as TudorRose said, always capitalized) or meine Herrin (meine means my).

Mein Frauchen won't work for your purpose, I'd say. First point, it's mein, not meine, as Frauchen is neuter. And yes, I am aware this does not make much sense... that's German, their word for girl is neuter as well :D
For the term itself, Frauchen is what you call female pet owners, and it's more a colloquial term, meant to be somewhat "cute". Like if you say kitty instead of cat, in German the owner of a pet would be its Frauchen (or Herrchen, if male).
This term is restricted to pet owners, everything else would sound quite strange and silly, so I'd say it's impossible to use for you unless your writing involves some kind of animal roleplay... and even then I'd say Herrin is the better choice as it doesn't sound so nice and cute.

Concerning Maitresse: In German the far more common spelling is Mätresse, but both are correct. It also means something very different than Herrin. A Mätresse is what female lovers of high ranking noblemen were called, so this is more like the female version of toyboy and quite opposed to the meaning of Herrin i.e. dominatrix.

For the capitalizing of words: In German every noun is capitalized, as well as the word that begins a sentence and the word that follows after a colon. Nothing else. If you keep those three in mind you're on the safe side ;)

MoLoLu
08-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Agree with senka, meine Herrin - all the way.

Frauchen is diminuitive, not what you want. It's aged beyond recognition. Maitresse would be better but suffers from not meaning what you want and also being aged.

Though, I'm not sure if you want the posessive in front of it. "Ja, meine Herrin." and "Ja, Herrin."

Well, I guess the possessive fits. The latter reads more dismissive and/or disconected, the first more submissive. But German's such a nuanced language, it's hard for me to be certain even after years speaking and breathing it.

Kenn
08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks - much appreciated.

senka
08-15-2012, 03:26 AM
In fact, what you mostly hear is exactly that sentence "Ja, Herrin", usually without meine.

I'd say Herrin without meine makes the said person seem even more superior. For me this is because Herrin alone does not sound like she is the slave's mistress only, but is more of a general regard of her as a superior person.