Agent Newbie has manuscript, Agent Legend wants exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

arhooley

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry for the new thread, but I have a new Situation. Thank you all for your incredible patience and the thought you've put into my several Situations so far.

So: writer friend referred me to her agency, headman passed me off to Junior Brand New Agent. All well and good.

I kept querying elsewhere, thanks to the great advice I got in this forum. The same day my first batch of e-mails went out, Big Huge Legendary Agent responded to me and said she wants an exclusive. I told her someone else already has the MS on referral but I sent the file anyway. She e-mailed back! I guess she had looked at some pages. Wants to know all about me, see more of my writing -- but she still wants that exclusive.

I'm curious, is there a way to do that?

It's all quite encouraging but I don't even know if she's read the whole manuscript and I am by no means considering her a done deal.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You obviously can't give her an exclusive and she knows that. But you can promise not to send out any more fulls until the exclusive is over (you can continue to query); and you can promise to let her know if the junior agent makes an offer, and to not accept that offer until she's had time to catch up.

Remember to limit the period of the exclusive. A couple of weeks should be ok, four weeks is about the maximum.

arhooley

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
you can promise not to send out any more fulls until the exclusive is over (you can continue to query); and you can promise to let her know if the junior agent makes an offer, and to not accept that offer until she's had time to catch up.
Great advice. I did as you said; she responded within an hour and said she's going to read it and get back to me within two weeks.

Thanks so much for helping. Great community here.

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
That same thing happened to me. In the end - the big agent that asked for the exclusive agreed to wait for a month to see if it would be "Free" - by that time - I only had two other agencies reading it and told her that if she wanted to go with me that I would guarantee to sign with her. It took her two weeks to get back to me and she said no. Open communication is the key. And we were able to work something out - just like it seems that you have.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As arhooley turned out to be a sockpuppet account for a disgruntled user, I'm going to close this now. We shouldn't waste our time with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.