If you're not on Facebook, you're suspect, and maybe even a potential mass-murderer

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Well, now we know.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...ple-without-facebook-accounts-are-suspicious/
Slashdot flagged a German news story in which an expert noted that mass murderers Anders Breivik and James Holmes both lacked much of a social media presence, leading to the conclusion, in Slashdot’s phrasing, that “not having a Facebook account could be the first sign that you are a mass murderer.”

The German story mentioned is this one (passed to you through autotranslate at Google). With careful reading it should make sense.

So, the gist of it is that if you're not on facebook, then you're likely to be one suspicious one that should be fired, or not hired in the first place. And of course, if you are on Facebook, you should give your boss the password, or the boss could fire you for disloyalty.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Lacking a social media presence the 2012 version of "oh he seemed nice enough. Kept to himself mostly."

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Should I be worried about my mom? She barely knows that Facebook exists.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe it is time to delete my Facebook account. People are getting rather comfortable around me, and I like it when everyone is slightly jumpy...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tuzki-bunny-emoticon-048.gif

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Obviously, though, it is imperative that people who have no social media presence be placed under some kind of pre-emptive surveillance. Now, if only we knew who they were, where they are, where they hang out, when their next party is happening, what they ate for breakfast, which youtube cat video made them laugh today...

Oh, damn.

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a Facebook account. I'm only 41 and feel like social media and all the technology is passing me by. My wife did convince me to trade in our flip phones for this droid thingy. No idea what to do with it but it looks pretty neat.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
Being unusual is a sign that you're, well, unusual. These things tend to correlate.

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
It always amuses me when someone is arrested for something nefarious and the police aren't releasing any info, so the news media go online and see what they can find there, and inform the public about the killer's blog and Facebook posts, etc.

I imagine the news reports if I were arrested - "On her blog she posts drawings of her dog, and on Facebook she kills a lot of Snatchins at Mystery Manor and is aggressively expanding her house at The Ville. Her avatar was dating another avatar called Bill, but they recently broke up, perhaps a sign of increasing alienation..."

Turbie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's not good. I hate having a facebook--it's such a time-suck. I've considered deleting it so many times, but it's the only way to keep in contact with all my friends and relatives far, far away. And now if I hear if I delete, I'm on the road towards America's Most Wanted. Huh.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was the other way around, that only the rejected of society turned to the internet which was habitated mostly by pedophiles, stalkers and satanic evildoers.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I've avoided setting up a facebook account because you can't exactly refuse to friend some people. Why on earth would you want your boss seeing pictures of you in a swimsuit on holiday, or the relatives you try your best to avoid reading what you did on a night out, or your mum's friends swapping notes about your career and relationship status? :crazy: It's bizarre. Certain areas of your life a best left... compartmentalised.

I'd like to think that makes me sensible and not sociopathic.

Do I have to go and sit on my own now? :(

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It seems to me that the group we should worry about the most are those that are have a FB page, a twitter acount, and a blog--and have had all for some time--post a lot of screeds, yet have few FB friends, twitter followers, or blog readers.

They're probably close to the edge...

*checks own social media stats*

Wait. Nevermind...

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I thought it was the other way around, that only the rejected of society turned to the internet which was habitated mostly by pedophiles, stalkers and satanic evildoers.

Used to be, but my people are outnumbered now.

Wait a second...

BlueCloud

Word Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbaraetlin.com
Ugh. I've avoided setting up a facebook account because you can't exactly refuse to friend some people. Why on earth would you want your boss seeing pictures of you in a swimsuit on holiday, or the relatives you try your best to avoid reading what you did on a night out, or your mum's friends swapping notes about your career and relationship status? :crazy: It's bizarre. Certain areas of your life a best left... compartmentalised.

*applauds TudorRose*

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

We rejected wouldn't dare bother touching something like Facebook. Facebook is the intersection of reality and the internet, which is just an abomination. The internet isn't a place for real names. The internet is supposed to be anonymous. There are no real people on the internet, and sites such as Facebook are attempting to destroy the very ideals upon which the internet was built. It's the very Face(book) of Evil.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score

Do I have to go and sit on my own now? :(
Some people have multiple FB accounts for this reason.